CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Forgive me for I have sinned, the no radar matches seem a bit too random in H5. Maybe only have a radar for spartan abilities?

Give it time my son. Play 5 customs everyday and all will be forgiven

*hums gregorian chant*

• Upvote (+1) 3

A radar that only tracks spartan abilities and sprint is the solution.

All in favor say aye! 

(or upvote). 

To be honest this sounds right. Like @@SnakeBite said it does get chaotic even from a viewer perspective. Having a small abilities only radar seems fine. Take out Spartan Charge as well. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 3

A radar that only tracks spartan abilities and sprint is the solution.

I disagree, I think it would only promote slower gameplay, not only would that be less fun to play but less fun to watch as well. Radar needs to be in or fully out.

But testing needs to be done either way.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I disagree, I think it would only promote slower gameplay, not only would that be less fun to play but less fun to watch as well. Radar needs to be in or fully out.

But testing needs to be done either way.

The only change that would actually make is faster flanks. So it would speed up the gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Regarding some pros disliking no radar so far:

Pros' true and final feelings on settings can't be deduced until it's forced upon them as either official settings or official test settings. For as long as no radar is just something pros are "trying out for fun", their perception of it is skewed differently and it's easier for them to pass it off as bad and look down upon it.

Example of what I'm trying to get at: Eden Slayer and Empire Strongholds are absolute garbage gametypes that would never have been allowed in past Halo games' competitive rotation. But because they have been placed in the rotation since the start, they've become normalized, and we don't see people like Lethul and Frosty complain about them (maybe rarely, also I don't mean to single them out). But I can GUARANTEE that if these gametypes weren't already in the rotation and 343 was trying to add them in, the entire pro community would be complaining, including those who don't already complain about those gametypes.

My point is that no radar needs to be normalized for people to form the most genuine opinion possible about how it plays. For as long as it is just played out of personal curiosity/for fun, it is too easy for pros to hold it in contempt.

I don't mean to imply that pros are incapable of holding valuable opinions or anything, but this is the way it has been in respect to pros' thoughts on gametype/settings changes since Reach.

As a viewer, I am not enjoying no-radar. It feels like everything is random and movement isn't calculated. People are just running around. Wasn't like this in the previous games. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Lethul provides valuable insight in the competitive viability of Mercy.

https://clips.twitch.tv/lxthul/SuperParrotPeteZarollTie

I know this is a sarcastic  :lxthul:  moment, BUT...

It is a bucket wheel. Either pulling water up, or mining for something along those lines. Considering the map has water flowing/cascading throughout areas, I'd say it is clearly pulling water up. The technique still exists in machinery today.

I worry as well that no radar entirely is too chaotic. In a game in which you have the ability to sprint-thrust-slide-jump wherever you want on the map in less than 2 seconds, I can't imagine it. Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Indeed the movement is way too fast to not have radar. 

ssbchad: I am just talking from a viewers perspective. It seems way too random. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I honestly think people think it's so chaotic just because of how used they are to having radar in this game. Wouldn't be an issue if they had been playing it from the start.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Im loving watching no radar games.  so much fun.  the "chaos" of not knowing where people are and having to rely on communication is awesome.   so much more fun to watch than crouchy spinter nade shotty bullcrap

• Upvote (+1) 9

Well, looks like the honeymoon phase is wearing off and multiple players are starting to get annoyed by the changes now..

Watch how posting here slowly starts to change as well.

lol

PS: Specifically hearing a LOT of hate for grenade launcher.

To everyone saying no radar is chaotic, Halo 5 was chaotic in the beginning WITH radar. Then players got used to it, and the meta slowed down. Once everyone becomes accustomed to Halo 5 without radar it won't be nearly as chaotic..

Well, I am not comfortable with this change for the world championship. I want the best team to win and if they put in no radar, I have a feeling that won't be the case. 

• Downvote (-1) 18

Every Halo game plays differently from past iterations..

You're so engrossed in the idea of no radar in this game that you're trying to act like the difference between Halo 5 and previous Halo's is the same thing as the difference between Halo 2 and Halo 3.

That's nuts, and no where near a far comparison. If there was no sprint and no thrust and no slide boost I'm pretty sure 99% of all the gametypes would not be "chaotic" and there would be no mixed opinions.

from my perspective, I don't mind what the settings are I just want them to be firm about it and let us know ASAP

• Upvote (+1) 2

No radar is chaotic because no team is used to it. Random 8's are typically chaotic so that's nothing new. Teams have to change a lot in terms of communication, pushes, where people set up and watch. Take out radar officially and give pros a month and I have no doubt we'll see the best possible H5 being played at HWC.

A month of official practice would be good, but so far nothing official is happening.