CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

we kinda had theater in the h2 days with the MLG pov vods but it was obviously very limited 

Imagine this :mj:

halo_2_beta_mode_spectateur_observers-10

• Upvote (+1) 5

similar to Brood War in 2004-2009, teams couldn't watch replays or keep replays from tournaments, and of course practice wasn't streamed; they'd have to carefully analyze VoD but even there you don't see first-person views in most cases ... the top players were harder to figure out

But in BW the game was so hard mechanically that strategy wasnt that important, you couldnt beat Flash even if you knew what he was going to do. Flash won championships by out multitasking his opponent.

I understand the argument, I just don't think knowing the communication would have mattered as much as it does now. Comms were very different at the time as compared to now due to a lack of microphones. Theater would have been more useful, but Final Boss were just the most talented team and theater would have helped them improve as well.

Yeah, you could argue just as easily that theater would have allowed them to widen the gap even further.

But in BW the game was so hard mechanically that strategy wasnt that important, you couldnt beat Flash even if you knew what he was going to do. Flash won championships by out multitasking his opponent.

:thinking:

Super excited to see Optic win. Even more excited that it looks like atleast 3 other teams can keep up. 

Incredible performances by Renegade and Rayne and really everyone on the top 4 teams. I didn't get to see much of IC but they seem exciting as well. 

I just hope another event isn't run this way. What should have been great casting turned annoying because of mic volume differences. Missing entire series to see people talk or watch halo wars ads, a bazaar FFA placed in the middle of great matches, a 2 team + casters "listen in,"  that went on for way longer than what was comical, insane down time for no reason other than to let the hw2 ads loop for the 5th time that break....the list goes on. It seems ironic how mad I would get at MLG for having those loud ass doritos/old spice ads. 

Even with all of that I can not wait for the next event. 4 teams and possibly another 1 or 2 all being near the same level at the top will make most of the weekend interesting rather than the old format of waiting forever just for the NV/Optic matchup. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

:thinking:

You people are commenting like in 07 nobody knew about strategy and nobody knew what FB was going to do. And yes in BW if you were a mechanical god strategy didnt meant much.

So are Penguin Rayne and Huke the only players who have placed TOP 4 every season not on Optic?

• Upvote (+1) 1

For those talking about Final Boss' dominance, a hypothetical:

Do you think FB would've won as many tournaments and been the only team (or one of two teams) on top if Halo 2 had Theatre mode for reviewing film and if players streamed so you could hear teams' communication back then?

If I'm not mistaken the old MLG website had archives of individual vod from all the matches. So, a team that wanted to prepare well could open up all four FB players' replays in four windows and watch everything that happened in every match that FB played. While they wouldn't be able to hear communication, it would arguably be just as or more instructive to see everything that the top players did as a team.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

So are Penguin Rayne and Huke the only players who have placed TOP 4 every season not on Optic?

They're the only 3 players not on OpTic who have placed Top 4 at Worlds and every major (Season Finals).  I haven't kept track of smaller LANs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They're the only 3 players not on OpTic who have placed Top 4 at Worlds and every major (Season Finals).  I haven't kept track of smaller LANs.

Cool. Thanks.

So is Vegas on March 3rd the next event we'll see these teams at?

American teams aren't going to London :(?

Don't forget that Cratos finished 1st at Chattanooga, the most competitive LAN since H5 was released. Truly an amazing accomplishment.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Don't forget that Cratos finished 1st at Chattanooga, the most competitive LAN since H5 was released. Truly an amazing accomplishment.  :kappa:

Very true. I think Cratos is the GOAT.

(Also he TOTALLY DIDN'T get carried to that win by Stellur and Bubu). :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was at the event and I can say that the production issues were probably about 90% UGC-related. 343 staff were really only present to set up and run the dev boxes on main stage and the off-stream featured stations. 343 stepped in and helped with some production over the course of the weekend, but audio/video issues were not a result of 343's presence at the event.

I spent a lot of my time on Saturday night/championship Sunday behind the scenes with the crew and pro players. The dev box/closed server system that they use is actually very cool and not at all how I imagined it'd be executed.

As a spectator at the event, I was very pleased with everything. But watching some of the re-broadcast this morning, I can definitely see the frustration over the production value.

Hopefully the Vegas tournament is much smoother for viewers.

thanks for clearing that up. as to why i would have been criticizing 343, we went from a non sanctioned ugc event with a few hiccups to a sanctioned event that was consistently bad all weekend. only one thing from the viewer perspective changed and that was hcs involvement. its good to get this inside look at it, but we really need to look at what went wrong and why so that these issues aren't present at every halo event

Just a random thought.

Optic = Cleveland Cavaliers

Lethul = Lebron (Made the big move during f/a, "king of halo" but old timers will say otherwise)
Frosty = Kyrie Irving (Young GOD with amazing footwork/map movement)
Royal 2 = Kevin Love (likes his Rebounding stats, Royal likes his k/d stats)
Snakebite = Coach Lue/Kyle Korver/JR Smith/Tristan Thompson etc (Everyone else on the team, does his job, clutch when needed, fills in his roll, leader of team)

nV = Golden State Warriors

Snip3down = Kevin Durant (Big move during f/a, great scorer/slayer, Sniper from Long Range)
Pistola = Steph Curry (Injury kept him from being the player he is today, [ignoring his earlier success.])
Mikwin = Klay Thompson (Duo with Steph, has highs and lows)
Huke = Wanted to say Steph since he is a young god but better off with Draymond Green (Arguably the most important player on the team, great all around, can carry team when stars aren't shining)

Timeline

NA Finals = 2015 NBA Finals
nV Wins, people start saying they are the ones to beat and are arguably the best team

UGC St. Louis = 2016 NBA Finals
Optic Wins, nV choked vs Liquid, like how GSW choked a 3-1 lead
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

What would the pool play be for? Seeding? The Pros said at Orange county that they didn't like it and it was a waste of time and should just go off pro league seeds. In know there's no pro league but that's what the weekly seeding qualifiers are for. Agree with the rest though.

Championship bracket teams wont even be in the qualifiers though, right?

Pro's might think pools are a waste of time, BUT they offer the benefit of providing viewers with better content during the boring part of the open tournament. Providing quality entertainment and having a solid structure should be a priority, imo.

I think pools would have been useful in this tourney because proteams have changed a lot since finals, and we really didnt know for sure where they all stood.

However,pools would be less useful in vegas, and would invalidate the STL placements. BUT, If we had a point system, we could adequately reward teams for their STL placements while still using pools to reseed the champ bracket. This would allow for a recalibration following the transfer period.

As it stands though, limiting half of the 3day stream to AM play GUARUNTEES half of the the tournament will be boring.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Forums: "Man, why did those teams break up?  They need to take time to mesh together to compete with OpTic."

Also Forums: "These teams aren't looking like gods in their first few scrims, they should break up."

After this weekend, I want to be a smug little shit for a second and bring this quote back.

I wouldn't be me if I didn't do this.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Do we know when the transfer period starts/ends? I don't see most of the teams making moves, but it seems like there's some potential in the 5-10th place teams.

American teams aren't going to London :(?

From what I understand teams can only compete at their region's HaloWC qualifiers, hence why we saw no EU teams make the journey over for St Louis

From what I understand teams can only compete at their region's HaloWC qualifiers, hence why we saw no EU teams make the journey over for St Louis

Bummer, somehow I missed that. Damn, now the long wait for Vegas. 

@frankiefourshot  :ace:

Hard to watch NV go down like that, but hopefully it means that they will have extra motivation moving forward. It was imperative from the first scrimmage that Mikwen needed to be at the top of his game to get NV to the top-tier, and while it's not solely his fault that NV lost, it was clear his disposition wasn't helping. 

That being said, I don't think it's appropriate or constructive for people to say that Mikwen should be dropped; to me that notion is ridiculous. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

This looks like it was straight up plagiarized from a post that @ made a while ago about possible tournament structures. :simms:

Not a coincidence! that's why i shouted him out a few posts back. The only thing Better than plagiarizing mlg at this point would be to have them run the opens...

I did disagree with him when he suggested sending the bottom 4 from Pools and the Open to the losers champ bracket. I wouldn't be opposed to having the bottom two from each play in a wild card, giving top 2 seeds a bye.

• Upvote (+1) 1