CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The people who want pros to put stickers on their monitors during LANs are insane. They would get fined, dq'd, or even banned. You guys are so blinded by one thing (radar) that you can't see any of the success Halo has had. (Great finals, tons of big open LANs coming up, a huge update, the new map settings are great, and we had over 40k people watching Halo again).  It's kinda sad. 

All that growth is great and all, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference when people don't actually want to play the game.

I'm about to share this with various peeps at 343 but I figured it cannot hurt to post here since it certainly can't be exploited. The Grenade Launcher, in its current state, shouldn't be added to competitive settings. Those of you that have seen the current map variants will know that the weapon is being added to Truth and The Rig.

Problem is, the projectile has a habit of just dropping through map geometry on both Rig and Truth. I haven't tested other maps because I don't know want to waste time if it isn't going to be featured on them but I imagine this will be possible on them too.

Here's a video of three occasions (two Truth, one Rig) where my projectile just falls through geometry or gets stuck in it, causing no damage when released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=benPOmr0eGA&feature=youtu.be

As much as I want to see this weapon in competitive play, it shouldn't be with this glaring issue happening.

You made me sad.

I mean actual testing btw, not devs above the pro testers throwing them under the bus when they screw up / don't feel like dealing with actual constructive opinions.

So much this.  you will get more testing done in the first day of the community having it as you would in months of internal testing.  And that's not even hyperbole. There are literally not enough people at the company to be able to play the number of man-hours as you would get if you released the settings and let people play them. Plus all of our testing would be on the internet, which can change thing in unexpected ways.

Part of me "gets" why these changes take a long time.  343 also has to change and test a shitload of other gametypes and playlists for a group of people that is admittedly much larger than us (and they absolutely should.  The recent stagnation of the social playlists pre-updated was disheartening too) BUT....

That is EXACTLY why these updates should be released to the public early and often.  Let us play MM a shitton with the settings and tell you how they are working. Throw no radar in there and let us play with it even if you don't want to make it "Official". Dont wait until the 11th hour.

I have always been an advocate of having a "Beta" playlist which would be specifically labelled as such.  You could use it to test everything, not just competitive settings.  Throw in competitive settings that you are considering for a couple weeks, then do some action sack-y stuff, then some forge stuff, then some standard non-comp stuff, then back to competitive again.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You made me sad.

Honestly, I almost didn't bother. Someone pointed out the issue to me day one of the update and it wasn't until it started cropping up on the test maps that I got slightly worried. The last thing I want is another questionable end to a game or series that people are pissed about because the Grenade Launcher projectile fell through the map.

im hoping for the same thing. not knowing much about orgs, what orgs if any are bigger in north america than optic and nv

I'm not sure if these orgs are in NA. But when I wrote that comment, I was thinking of teams like: C9, TSM, NRG, Splyce etc

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nope, but let's not discount positives for one PERHAPS negative.

i havent. we some great things happening for h5. and im thrilled about things like dreamhack. that is seriously awesome. but also dont pretend that a lot of the things we are getting and are asking for were baseline in older halos. we arent asking for anything unusual to competitive halo

I have always been an advocate of having a "Beta" playlist which would be specifically labelled as such.  You could use it to test everything, not just competitive settings.  Throw in competitive settings that you are considering for a couple weeks, then do some action sack-y stuff, then some forge stuff, then some standard non-comp stuff, then back to competitive again.

I think this would be a great idea. Allows for huge test data for all sorts of tweaks and gametypes and would never actually mean anything as it would be a social beta playlist. People playing in it would know what is being tested and would want to help find that information. Definitely think this could be a thing that works.

I think this would be a great idea. Allows for huge test data for all sorts of tweaks and gametypes and would never actually mean anything as it would be a social beta playlist. People playing in it would know what is being tested and would want to help find that information. Definitely think this could be a thing that works.

any chance of  a Pit episode post finals or leading into worlds qualifiers?

This is why companies like blizzard put companies like 343 and bungie to shame. Blizzard constantly fine-tuned Starcraft based on pro feedback to optimize its competitiveness; 343 drags their feet through the mud with 8000 long-winded ways of saying nothing and then makes changes like silenced ars. Bungie couldn't even be bothered to patch the invincible elite neck in Halo 3.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

So much this.  you will get more testing done in the first day of the community having it as you would in months of internal testing. 

In the same vein, you are handing it to a rabid audience who are already tunnel visioned on what they want which isn't likely to lead to constructive feedback. If there are problems with no radar gameplay, they would be drowned out by people praising it mindlessly. Not saying no radar would be bad, but at this point people are so obsessed over it that if they actually wanted valid feedback it wouldn't come from us, or at least most of us.

• Upvote (+1) 5

In the same vein, you are handing a rabid audience who are already tunnel visioned on what they want which isn't likely to lead to constructive feedback. If there are problems with no radar gameplay, they would be drowned out by people praising it mindlessly. Not saying no radar would be bad, but at this point people are so obsessed over it that if they actually wanted valid feedback it wouldn't come from us, or at least most of us.

People will always have a bias; is there a better group of people to test competitive settings than good players?

Explored lots of times but it's not black and white. We have lots going on all the time with tons of priority fights.

Yeah, I can understand that we just had a great tournament and the game still sometimes is fun to watch and that there's a lot of negativity going around and that we all need to take some time to think about all of these things before we can consider changing radar.

In the same vein, you are handing a rabid audience who are already tunnel visioned on what they want which isn't likely to lead to constructive feedback. If there are problems with no radar gameplay, they would be drowned out by people praising it mindlessly. Not saying no radar would be bad, but at this point people are so obsessed over it that if they actually wanted valid feedback it wouldn't come from us, or at least most of us.

To be fair isn't that what a PTR would be for? You could test things like that and let them sit there for a few months to let people get their honeymoon phase over inside the PTR and then discuss the pros and cons with a level head right? You'd have to be clear that whatever was in the PTR wouldn't go to general settings immediately even if the support for something in the PTR seemed overwhelming, which would probably cause more consternation in the hypothetical where the test playlist had something like no radar but the ranked arena settings didn't. Still seems like it's a good way to make sure that changes are in fact well thought out, and it solves the issue of "we can't change X because then pros will be blind sighted" because there's a place where they can understand the new meta that results from incoming changes.

I somehow just slept for 18 hours and missed all of the settings talk. Breakout was literally in the HCS and it had no radar. Out of all the things that could possibly drive warzone kids away from the HCS I think radar is near the bottom of that list.