CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

One thing I noticed from last night is Shotzzy does challenge A LOT. I can't think of a game changing time he did it, but still he would give up stupid deaths because he would be one shot and challenge while the other player was 2 or 3 shots. 

Like I said, I don't think this cost them games. But his in game maturity shows.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know there are a ton of rostermania lovers here, but does anyone else just wait for things to settle so they can decide what team to cheer for?

I love rostermania when it's controlled. But at times like this where there's no holds barred, it's just a huge clusterfuck. It's hard to be excited about any changes when you know full well that they probably won't stick.

Snip

I will respond to this later, AS I don''t have the time currently and secondly i need  to do a little research before answering to avoid just stating opinions and assumptions.

Its not worth it for orgs to fight over contract disputes like they should because there is so little money involved in halo.

Because there is so little money involved in halo (other than worlds) it makes it unappealing to players to "stick it out" with a 3-8th place team because their payout potential is not great.

Then you have orgs like Denial... Orgs to halo are a new thing as of the last couple years. Other esports have had them for a while. When one of the first experiences you have with an org is them not paying the players what they are owed according to their contract (and other shadiness), it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth. If your Org isn't going to honor their contract, why should you?

Experiences like that mean that orgs get the blame immediately from the players and fans even when the org is actually in the right and just trying to hold the player to the contract that they signed.

Its kind of a cycle. Because there is not enough money and the money that there is is very top weighted, teams want to try to find the magic bullet short term instead of work long term. Its not worth it to orgs to fight hard over contract disputes. Since orgs wont hold players to their contracts, players know they can basically do whatever they want. Orgs know they wont be able to build a halo brand so some of the big ones avoid the scene. Less money flows into halo, go back to reason #1.

Well part of the problem is, the frequency of contract disputes themselves.

in Halo, investing in a TO4 is an obsurdly risky venture, and would continue to be so even IF there was more money involved.

Why would any smart businessman want to spend any money trying to build a brand around a group of players who could split up and destroy anything he helped build, in just a moments notice. Especially if any attempt to salvage his roster would result in him appearing to be a villain.

More money in the scene won't do anything for stability so long as players don't feel the need to hold up their end of contracts or help maintain a stabile environment. It's gotta be a two way street.

• Upvote (+1) 4

No I will always follow Ace as I really like they guy and always watch his streams.

Agreed. I'm a fan a players before teams/orgs. Makes things easier as a fan with the constant turnover of rosters

How can you say this? Shotzy literally hasn't competed in 4v4 Halo and Renegade has subbed in for pro league and placed well on LAN.

Shotzzy won a Beyond 4v4 against good teams with Huke and Snipedown.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone else think the night before roster lock is probably a lot like before tribal council on Survivor? Everyone trying to secure their alliances and not get back stabbed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

in Halo, investing in a TO4 is an obsurdly risky venture, and would continue to be so even IF there was more money involved.

Why would any smart businessman want to spend any money trying to build a brand around a group of players who could split up and destroy anything he helped build, in just a moments notice. Especially if any attempt to salvage his roster would result in him appearing to be a villain.

More money in the scene won't do anything for stability so long as players don't feel the need to hold up their end of contracts or help maintain a stabile environment. It's gotta be a two way street.

If there is more money players will be less apt to chase after the #1 spot so there would be less turnover.  If there is more money it's more worth it to orgs to enforce contracts which would force stability whether the player likes it or not.  The fact that there would be more money makes it inherently less risky.

Let me expand on the money part too.  I don't just mean prize money, i mean money from ad revenue from viewership, money from passes sold at tournaments and merch and weapon skins in game and individual team sponsors. Non-dev provided money which would best come from higher viewership and non-competitor interest.  Which would of course be helped by scene stability.

Any the only way for that to happen is if players are incentivized to do so.  The essential argument here is that players need to "grow up" and honor their commitments.  Lets be real, that's not going to just happen.  They need incentives to make it worth it and money makes the world go 'round.  The money would have to be appropriated properly obviously, but the base problem is still money.

Right now the solution is in the hands of ESL and 343 and whatever TOs they contract with.  343 needs to keep putting in prize money and fix their damn game.  ESL needs to come up with good rules and run pro league/tournaments well.  The TO's need to put on good shows. Gain viewership and fan interest to gain a sustainable flow of cash independent of development input.

Anyone else think the night before roster lock is probably a lot like before tribal council on Survivor? Everyone trying to secure their alliances and not get back stabbed.

Up-voted just for the reference to survivor

• Upvote (+1) 1

But how is that easier?

Because most of the popular players (read: best players) are going to stay in the competitive scene while orgs will come and go.

Because most of the popular players (read: best players) are going to stay in the competitive scene while orgs will come and go.

Would they come and go if the players just stayed put though?

And actually abided by their contract?

(please don't use the worst case scenario aka denial as a fair representation)

Edit

Orgs are more likely to get a ROI the longer a team stays together, 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Would they come and go if the players just stayed put though?

And actually abided by their contract?

(please don't use the worst case scenario aka denial as a fair representation)

Oh of course not, but I think the op was referring to the state of things right now where instability is the name of the game.

Ideally the org situation would be stable as well as the players.  A little bit of turnover to keep things interesting but nothing like the ridiculous shitstorms that we go through 4 times a year right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What would have to happen is for hcs/esl to hold the contracts as binding and act as mediator in the event of a dispute

In the mean time, as an org, I'd be looking for a solid duo that will stick together and invest in them. That way if the 2 pick ups leave, i still have my core.

Or we need orgs to contract a player like how red bull gaming had walshy and enable. Id go after a duo like roybox or bubu/shooter or a solo like ryanoob who already puts out great content and market thise players

• Upvote (+1) 3

I want the team that my favorite player is on to win.

Then I advise you become a fan of the following:

1. Lethul 
  2. Snakebite
  3. Frosty
  4. Royal 2
  5. Snipedown
  6. Huke
  7. Mikwen
  8. Pistola
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Then I advise you become a fan of the following:

1. Lethul 
  2. Snakebite
  3. Frosty
  4. Royal 2
  5. Snipedown
  6. Huke
  7. Mikwen
  8. Pistola

I like Ola.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I wish rostermania wouldnt be so crazy all the time. It hurts Halo in terms of large orgs stepping into the scene. I'm certain at least some of the BIG orgs like NaVi, Faze and FNATIC would be interested if there wasnt players screwing contracts up left and right all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wish rostermania wouldnt be so crazy all the time. It hurts Halo in terms of large orgs stepping into the scene. I'm certain at least some of the BIG orgs like NaVi, Faze and FNATIC would be interested if there wasnt players screwing contracts up left and right all the time.

Until there's a strong Ukrainian or Russian Halo scene, I wouldn't expect Na'Vi to break into our scene.

• Upvote (+1) 3

These drastic team changes are the Orgs fault not the players

How so? I would say its less the orgs fault than it is anything else.  The league structure, roster changes rules, payout/placement ratios, size of the scene, etc are all more to blame than the orgs themselves.

• Upvote (+1) 2