CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Point 1 there is an opinion. Generally, in game design, something you want to equip all players with needs to be at least capable of being used in a majority of situations. This is the case with the Halo 5 Assault Rifle -- the goal is for it to be useful in most situations, because it is meant to be a starting weapon. Because of this, it is able to be tap-fired to fight at medium range. The weapon is too strong in close quarters, and should be nerfed in that regard, but this is a separate thought from whether or not it should be capable of hitting/killing players at medium range.

The pistol would be capable of being used in a majority of situations if not for the AR, and it has the added virtue of being more skillful. My argument as to whether it should be capable of killing at range IS directly tied into the fact that its close range strength hasn't been nerfed

However, once again you've gone and used exaggerated rhetoric as your point though -- saying the AR requires no skill, when what you mean is less skill.

Being pedantic about exaggerations like this or my joke about 2000 fuel rod kills gets you nowhere. Fine, the AR at close range takes an incredibly minuscule amount of skill. The point still stands

As for the last bit of your second point: The AR would be less powerful if it did not have the tap function at all -- because it would not be capable of netting kills at range outside of extreme wastes of ammo or long engagements.

???

Isn't this what I have been saying? A weapon that you spawn with that is already overpowered at close range doesn't need to be more powerful. If we nerfed it at close range we could have a conversation.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Isn't this what I have been saying? A weapon that you spawn with that is already overpowered at close range doesn't need to be more powerful. If we nerfed it at close range we could have a conversation.

No, you said the opposite of what I said:

Again, the AR would be fundamentally overpowered if it didn't have the tap function.

The AR would be less powerful if it did not have the tap function at all

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

as usual, i'm confused

did ace and apg indicate they wouldn't run with roybox anymore, or is the debbie downer poster just being especially seratonin-deprived?

No, you said the opposite of what I said:

As in: EVEN if it DIDN'T have the tap function, it would STILL be overpowered. I can see how you could misunderstand that, though; I should have been more clear but I thought the rest of the context would make that obvious. I'll go back and change that now.

• Upvote (+1) 3

As in: EVEN if it DIDN'T have the tap function, it would STILL be overpowered. I can see how you could misunderstand that, though; I should have been more clear but I thought the rest of the context would make that obvious.

Ah, something lost in text -- emphasis on the didn't, not on the if.

As an aside, regarding the AR...and this is just a stat from a vacuum with little context, so there's plenty missing but... this is the AR usage from last night's OpTic vs Problem Solvers scrim:

Name - Accuracy, Shots Landed/Shots Fired, Time of Possession (sorted by accuracy):

Royal 2 - 58.4%, 319/546, 8:52

Spartan - 53.2%, 284/534, 11:21

Lethul - 48.35%, 512/1059, 11:28

Snakebite - 44.81%, 207/462, 7:20

Frosty - 44.5%, 330/741, 9:54

Suspector - 44.4%, 413/931, 10:38

Commonly - 41.9%, 240/812, 9:03

Danoxide - 39.4%, 274/695, 7:38

There's a range of 19% accuracy difference.  3 of the top 4 accuracy fired the least amount of shots.  Spartan held his AR the same amount of time as Lethul, but fired half as many shots and managed 5% greater accuracy (implying he's not just going around spraying blindly).

I'm not going to deny the AR's skill gap is smaller than the Magnum's, because it's not.  The Magnum is definitely the more skillful weapon.  You and I have different opinions on what that means for the AR's relevance in the sandbox that isn't going to change, but the statistics here should at least illuminate that the skill gap that exists for the AR isn't as miniscule as the public perception would have one believe.  A 19% difference in accuracy among the best and worst of 8 players sampled is enormous.  (And by comparison, the Magnum's difference is roughly 13% between Spartan at 60% and Commonly/Danoxide at 47%, so the difference in ARs is even greater).  The AR's nuance is something that gets glossed over simply because it's an automatic.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ah, something lost in text -- emphasis on the didn't, not on the if.

As an aside, regarding the AR...and this is just a stat from a vacuum with little context, so there's plenty missing but... this is the AR usage from last night's OpTic vs Problem Solvers scrim:

Name - Accuracy, Shots Landed/Shots Fired, Time of Possession (sorted by accuracy):

Royal 2 - 58.4%, 319/546, 8:52

Spartan - 53.2%, 284/534, 11:21

Lethul - 48.35%, 512/1059, 11:28

Snakebite - 44.81%, 207/462, 7:20

Frosty - 44.5%, 330/741, 9:54

Suspector - 44.4%, 413/931, 10:38

Commonly - 41.9%, 240/812, 9:03

Danoxide - 39.4%, 274/695, 7:38

There's a range of 19% accuracy difference. 3 of the top 4 accuracy fired the least amount of shots. Spartan held his AR the same amount of time as Lethul, but fired half as many shots and managed 5% greater accuracy (implying he's not just going around spraying blindly).

I'm not going to deny the AR's skill gap is smaller than the Magnum's, because it's not. The Magnum is definitely the more skillful weapon. You and I have different opinions on what that means for the AR's relevance in the sandbox that isn't going to change, but the statistics here should at least illuminate that the skill gap that exists for the AR isn't as miniscule as the public perception would have one believe. A 19% difference in accuracy among the best and worst of 8 players sampled is enormous. (And by comparison, the Magnum's difference is roughly 13% between Spartan at 60% and Commonly/Danoxide at 47%, so the difference in ARs is even greater). The AR's nuance is something that gets glossed over simply because it's an automatic.

Such a statistical analysis without context is close to meaningless. Royal 2 could be getting more of his AR kills by crouching around and staying alive in camo spawn in Eden or something like that. Danoxide could be flying into pit on empire and trying to fight off 3 people from the objective more often. People could be missing tons of shots because they see a camo player and try to light the guy up while other players might not have found themselves in that situation. The point is that the AR is easy enough that a vastly inferior player can often get a much better player to at least no shields assuming the positioning is equal. The same can't be said of the pistol.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

What's your point then? The aiming in this game sucks. Whether it's due to servers or acceleration rates or whatever doesn't really matter. The fact of the matter is the aiming in this game is horrendous and lowers the skill gap of the game quite a bit.

Aiming mechanics that actively fight against you in an FPS is one of the worst, most undermining things that an FPS can have.

I put it on the same level as h3's BR spread. Atleast the BR spread only affected the BR though.

My point is i was talking about everything but the latency issues, which aren't even that bad anymore.  Some servers are bad and i hope this improves, but i literally didn't mention latency in my post at all.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Who is Liquid Halo now ??

Officially speaking, it's still Spartan, Hamy, Rayne, and Penguin.  I am not certain of the current contract situations of those players.

On a completely unrelated note, Rayne and Penguin have been playing with Eco and Stellur for like a week and a half now.

I may talk a little bit more about the Liquid roster situation on The Pit tonight at 6 Eastern/5 Central/3 Pacific/Midnight GMT.  I have to be careful though because of things that are up in the air with the roster that I'm not fully in the loop about.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So who ran games last night? Or was it just Hopefully FaZe and Optic?

I refuse to call that team Faze until they are officially signed by them. And we all know the likelihood of that happening.

edit: just noticed you said "hopefully faze" I stand by what I said tho

• Upvote (+1) 3

i appreciate the ar being more thought out than previously thought. what now bothers me is that the pistol is almost rendered moot. since the ar is a short range auto/midrange burst then why have a short/mid range pistol as well. i'd rather a long range utility weapon like the dmr on start and take one more weapon the map. i'd also like to see the smg go as that truly is a short range spray weapon. i've never understood 343's desire to fill the map with weapons 

• Downvote (-1) 2

cali is off supremacy, i think the roster is only punisher now

full team announcement tonight

We have Dreamhack Halo ???

atl and denver bruh

• Upvote (+1) 1

We have Dreamhack Halo ???

Video a few posts up, all the Pro League info. Relegation is now done through open bracket.

Is there a roster transfer period halfway thru the Worlds season like there was last year?

Well, finally hit my first accidental mobile neg. Sorry about that.