CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So this is why my rap career never got off the ground.. i was doing everything perfectly i just didn't have the luck :kappa:

My favorite manga series is Bakuman...a manga series about two kids who want to make manga.  In it, the main character says that to be a successful Manga artist it takes three things:

Hubris - you have to believe you're actually good enough, nay, better than those that already do it.

Effort - you have to put in the time to get good enough and the time to create a product

Luck - in the end, your success isn't in your hands, it's in the hands of the fans

It really applies to any form of art -- visual, performance, video, even game design... So... I actually think TJ's right to include the word Luck there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

About the 343 lack of clear communications, one thing at play could also be Microsoft. I don't believe 343 has full autonomy, and that MS can come in and issue mandates on whatever they want in the game. That type of stuff can cause a lot of dissonance and unclear directive, resulting in strange things neither leadership group wanted. Just some conjecture on my part.

I really doubt theres some higher up at MS telling the studio how to balance the games weapons. They chose a studio head, and let her hire the people she think will do a good job.

MS might get involved in budgeting and marketing. But i doubt they get involved much in the creative aspect.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I really doubt theres some higher up at MS telling the studio how to balance the games weapons. They chose a studio head, and let her hire the people she think will do a good job.

MS might get involved in budgeting and marketing. But i doubt they get involved much in the creative aspect.

major publishers typically give creative and content direction, as obvious with Ubisoft, EA, Activision, etc.

major publishers typically give creative and content direction, as obvious with Ubisoft, EA, Activision, etc.

Except your examples are game creators. Im sure ms may give input on software decisions and server use, but they seem like theyd be pretty hands off with the creative department. We should ask phil spencer

At the macro level, sure. But tuning weapons?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just imagine Satya Nadella going to 343

"I cant get a kill with these pistols. Amp up kill times on autos. "

• Upvote (+1) 6

They're a subsidiary of Microsoft Studios. So yeah, it's unlikely they'll get a memo saying "increase auto damage by 15% plz", but MS have to power to influence things like that if they see it fit. They have the power to push for certain directions, like for example a sandbox full of similiar easy to use weapons akin to CoD.

I'm not saying this is actually happening, I find tin-foil hats cramp my style, but it's totally possible. What @@SacUsa is saying has merit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My favorite manga series is Bakuman...a manga series about two kids who want to make manga.  In it, the main character says that to be a successful Manga artist it takes three things:

Hubris - you have to believe you're actually good enough, nay, better than those that already do it.

Effort - you have to put in the time to get good enough and the time to create a product

Luck - in the end, your success isn't in your hands, it's in the hands of the fans

It really applies to any form of art -- visual, performance, video, even game design... So... I actually think TJ's right to include the word Luck there.

of course your favourite manga is super meta

• Upvote (+1) 3

So this has always confused me, especially since being in full time work. 9-5 is always seen as the standard full time shift. 8 hour days for a 40 hr work week. But what about lunch?? 8-5 with an hour lunch is the reality that I've seen. Are 9-5 jobs really out there? Do you just work through lunch? :stressed:

• Upvote (+1) 1

So this has always confused me, especially since being in full time work. 9-5 is always seen as the standard full time shift. 8 hour days for a 40 hr work week. But what about lunch?? 8-5 with an hour lunch is the reality that I've seen. Are 9-5 jobs really out there? Do you just work through lunch? :stressed:

I do sometimes. I'll have a big breakfast and take a snack to have around noon while I keep working. It's nice if you work from say 7 to 3, which I do quite a bit. You still have a lot of the day left to do whatever it is you do with your free time. It's nice having an employer who is flexible on that as well, not all are.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Should be c9. They got screwed after s1 finals and arena good org. I can't imagine any new org wants to join the scene and not have a pro league spot already. Plus we know c9 has skins waiting in the tank.

If I'm c9 though, I'm making those contracts tight

So I just spent about an hour and a half digging out from this lovely little nor'easter that has taken an abominable dump all over New England, braved terribly plowed roads in a Corolla built for retirees to drive to Denny's in much, much warmer climates, only to come in here after all of that I find all sorts of misinformation. Here's the long and the short of it:

It's all about that 8-4, guys.

Edit: Also, I work a desk job, and I find myself less and less frustrated with it not being my dream job. Not that I'm settling by any means, I still have dreams, hopes and aspirations, but I get home at a consistent time each day, a consistent paycheck, and I see my family every single night, and that far outweighs my dislike of my coglike profession.

I work 6pm to 1am (work 7hr get paid for 8) and I live more than an hour away from work.

Is what it is :lxthul:

Just got word i'll be at UGC St Louis, unclear whether or not i will get to chance to cast, but i am so excited to see everyone!

wait so someone is flying you out to an event but you arent even sure if you will be working?

I work 9-5 and eat lunch at my desk. It works out nicely. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

wait so someone is flying you out to an event but you arent even sure if you will be working?

ill be part of the event setup team if anything, as well as a ref, bracket guy, whatever they need!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do sometimes. I'll have a big breakfast and take a snack to have around noon while I keep working. It's nice if you work from say 7 to 3, which I do quite a bit. You still have a lot of the day left to do whatever it is you do with your free time. It's nice having an employer who is flexible on that as well, not all are.

Yeah flexible employers are the best. I actually work 7:30-5 with a half hour lunch, which are 9 hour days, then I get every other Friday off. It's a huge perk. I guess I was just always confused how 9-5 got to be the common phrase, when I don't think it's all that common.

They're a subsidiary of Microsoft Studios. So yeah, it's unlikely they'll get a memo saying "increase auto damage by 15% plz", but MS have to power to influence things like that if they see it fit. They have the power to push for certain directions, like for example a sandbox full of similiar easy to use weapons akin to CoD.

I'm not saying this is actually happening, I find tin-foil hats cramp my style, but it's totally possible. What @@SacUsa is saying has merit.

That's exactly what I had meant. When I see the former employee's complaint about conflicting communication, I'm not thinking "we need 0 splinters on this map" vs "we need 2 splinters on this map." I feel like those types of discussions are natural and part of development. I was thinking more along the lines of "the vision for this game is A" and then hearing "scratch that, the vision for the game is B."

Again, all conjecture. It's totally possible it's all on 343 for poor management. Just that I've worked on teams where there's disagreement within the team, and disagreement from above the team. Each case brings its own complications. If individuals don't have the power/freedom/time to question all sides of a discussion, then you usually end up with a product that doesn't meet anybody's vision.

• Upvote (+1) 2

:kappa:

I'd like to take this time to announce my retirement from the internet.

• Upvote (+1) 3