CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

False, halo 2 had more players than halo: ce.

As the market changes, the game is going to have to change too. Otherwise we wouldn't need sequels. People stopped playing halo because bungie and 343 started making bad changes.

Because:

1. It was a direct sequel which historically hugely improve on sales and audience

2. More people actually owned Xbox's.

3. Xbox Live

We all know how much of a mess the game was at launch yet it still went gangbusters, had almost nothing to do with mechanics which from a core standpoint were basically the same anyway.

Frank Costanza:  I got a lot of problems with you people! and Radar is one of them!!

Quinn:

tumblr_oin7vazZSX1veur34o1_540.png

Haha Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays/Festivus Forum people!

• Upvote (+1) 6

Here's what they said in the blog post:

That reason sounds about as believable as their reason for not taking out radar yet. :)

Next they're gonna tell us they're considering reducing the Sniper's aim assist because they feel the aim improvements made aiming too easy in the game, or they're considering removing Stasis because flanking is too easy on the map.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Frank Costanza:  I got a lot of problems with you people! and Radar is one of them!!

Quinn:

tumblr_oin7vazZSX1veur34o1_540.png

Haha Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays/Festivus Forum people!

well i guess the only way to resolve this is the feats of strength

post-55630-festivus-lets-rumble-gif-Imgu

• Upvote (+1) 8

Here's what they said in the blog post:

wg5hrOV.png

This has to be trolling

image.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just going to wish everyone a Happy Hannukah as well even though its not yet Hannukah.... or Christmas.... or Festivus, but tis the season to be Merry. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Because:

1. It was a direct sequel which historically hugely improve on sales and audience

2. More people actually owned Xbox's.

3. Xbox Live

We all know how much of a mess the game was at launch yet it still went gangbusters, had almost nothing to do with mechanics which from a core standpoint were basically the same anyway.

Halo 2 was a drastic shift from halo:ce. Mechanically it wasn't "basically the same" unless the only mechanic is walking/running.

The health system/ damage model, fall damage, Melee system, locomotion, the jumping, the weapons balancing (no utility,dual wielding), the heavy aim assist on everything.

Mechanically it was very different. The lack of 'abilities' doesn't change the fact that there were huge changes to the core experience in other areas.

Halo 2 didn't sell well because it stuck to the core. It sold so well because it appealed to and was accessible to a larger audience, many who never even played halo:ce. A lot of that probably owes to some of the changes made from CE (even if they did dumb down the gameplay)

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 2 was a drastic shift from halo:ce. Mechanically it wasn't "basically the same" unless the only mechanic is walking/running.

The health system/ damage model, fall damage, Melee system, locomotion, the jumping, the weapons balancing (no utility,dual wielding), the heavy aim assist on everything.

Mechanically it was very different. The lack of 'abilities' doesn't change the fact that there were huge changes to the core experience in other areas.

Halo 2 didn't sell well because it stuck to the core. It sold so well because it appealed to and was accessible to a larger audience, many who never even played halo:ce. A lot of that probably owes to some of the changes made from CE (even if they did dumb down the gameplay)

Halo 2 also required a massive patch to correct a lot of the mechanics they did change to create an acceptable gaming experience for the audience.

He keeps it real, I can respect that. And if he does have any form of mental illness, it's definitely no joke

Oh for sure. I was just trying to say that if he's already feeling depressed, a drinking stream probably wasn't the best idea.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 2 also required a massive patch to correct a lot of the mechanics they did change to create an acceptable gaming experience for the audience.

It did, but the game had most of its sales and a fair amount satisfied customers even before it was patched. And there are still plenty of core mechanics and design philophies that were completely abandoned after CE.

(H2 also had proper playlist management so they could isolate different groups from changes that didnt need to be universal.)

I guess what i'm getting at is that its possible to change core mechanics, even mechanics that dictate movement, while still remaining true enough to fundamental principles to please a sizeable audience of veterans and newcomers alike.

343 decision to change movement, is no more blasphemous than Bungie's decision to do the same. The problem is (IMO) that the changes 343 decided to make shifted the franchise further away from its roots as a consolized arena shooter, whereas Bungie's choices just streamlined the game towards specific arena concepts. Bungie was better at choosing how to execute changes.

It's funny going back and reading posts from when Halo2 came out. The complaints are essentially analogous with the complaints we make about halo 5. Yet there's this narrative that ce-3 kept the core and 5 is a massive departure.

Here's a good one from bungie.net

Halo 2 just doesn't have the same amount of action Halo 1 had. Halo 2 no longer takes much skill. Halo 2 is boring compared to Halo 1. The so called "Balanced weapons" aren't balanced. The vehicles aren't as fun any more. The multiplayer maps are boring, and mostly based around CTF or Assault.

The game is all about running for the power weapons and camping. And now duel wielding makes it to where you just run around at close range holding down both triggers. The enhanced auto-aim makes it easier then ever to use accurate weapons. The game just doesn't take much skill anymore.

The weapons aren't balanced anymore. What are you going to do against a sniper with an SMG? No really think about it, what about a rocket? What are you going to do against a sword with an SMG? Some people think the Pistol was un balanced, but in fact it was what balanced out the game even more. It could stand up (not own) to a sniper, a shotgun, a rocket, what ever. And not only that, EVERY BODY HAD ONE, oh yeah and you had to AIM with the pistol, and you had to lead, because the bullet wouldn't get there right away.

The vehicles aren't as fun any more. The vehicles don't flip around as much when they get blown up or crashed into each other. And they are useless if you or your team doesn't have the rocket launcher. You'll just get blown up with the beginner helper lock on system.

The maps are poorly made. Most of the maps are based around CTF or assault. And most aren't made for Slayer. Slayer maps are supposed to be more like midship. All sides are the same and all.

Just replace dual wielding with autos in general
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I just watched the Ninja montage. You are all in for a real treat today. CJNEW did a great job on the video.

What time does it come out? I hopped on Youtube as soon as I woke up and it wasn't on Tyler's channel. :(

What time does it come out? I hopped on Youtube as soon as I woke up and it wasn't on Tyler's channel. :(

I was told it will be unlisted in a few hours.

The montage is 17 minutes long as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was told it will be unlisted in a few hours.

The montage is 17 minutes long as well.

Cool. I was hoping it would be long since it took a year to make!

I'm excited.

To the average player H2 and HCE were very, very similar mechanically.

I remember thinking at the time that the biggest difference between HCE and H2 was that they switched out the AR for the SMG.

• Upvote (+1) 4

To the average player H2 and HCE were very, very similar mechanically.

I remember thinking at the time that the biggest difference between HCE and H2 was that they switched out the AR for the SMG.

At a glance, HCE and H2 are similar mechanically, thats because the mechanical differences aren't really recognized visually.

But you CANNOT play H:CE like you would H2, because so many of the underlying mechanics are different. And maps are designed differently due to those mechanical differences.

• Upvote (+1) 2

When I mean "core", I'm talking about the basics. Walking, shooting, throwing grenades, driving vehicles, punching people, etc.

I.E. the things that Little Jimmy likes to do after his mom got him H2 for Christmas, and the millions of people like him. The same guys on random subreddits who go "man I miss Halo " when something related gets tons of upvotes.

When they pick up the controller and start playing the game, those are the things that they recognise, not the details like melee damage, auto-aim, jump speed, fall damage, etc which they honestly don't give two shit's about. I would almost guarantee you that sales would have been exactly the same if all those details you mentioned weren't changed from CE (with the small exception of duel wielding which was a gimmick the kids loved.)

-

I'm going to elaborate. Halo 2 added two main extra... let's call them "button actions". First was duel weilding, second was hijacking. Both added a bit of depth to the game but were most importantly fun. The core inputs remained simple.

Halo 3 added a couple button actions on top of that. First was equipment, second was removing turrets. Again, both were considered super fun by casuals and definitely helped enforced Bungie's main theme of everything being fun.

Halo Reach replaced equipment with armour abilities. Regardless of their poor design, they were still somewhat fun, although because you always had them you were definitely pressing the button a lot more. Reach maintained a healthy casual population considering the context, and despite the other shit like bloom and sword base. I'll skip Halo 4.

Halo 5 added default sprint, clamber, ground pound, Smart Scope, spartan charge, slide, thruster and stabilize. So many new things that during the beta they struggled to fit everything on the one controller. Now fitting with Bungies theme, are these thing fun? That's up to you. I'd argue maybe groundpound is fun and thruster might be, depending on who you ask, but my point is Halo 5 has a relatively insane number of inputs you have to engage with to actually move around the map.

That's why you have so many casuals complaining about Halo 5 being "too MLG". It's not something you can just pick up and play, because now your friend (who you can't play split screen with) has to teach you what each button does, and you have to actively press every button on the controller just to compete with other players. I mean, you refuse to use all of the AA's, but that means moving terribly slowly as fucking anime ninja's dance and slide around you like it's Dragon Ball Z and suddenly you're playing Mario Bros while everyone else is playing Street Fighter.

It's not really fun. And even if you think it's fun, it definitely isn't casual. So when you add all this, on top of a shit campaign, on top of no split screen, on top of no firefight, on top of no social playlists at launch, on top of no fileshare, on top of a cryptic UI, on top of no actual progression system...

You get Little Jimmy not enjoying the game. You get scores of people who used to like Halo, not buying the game.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 3

As far as i know dps is the same. Dunno the point honestly. Its not gonna keep you off radar since youre gonna be strafing anyway

EDIT: just figured out the point. Since you spawn with ARs already, putting silenced ARs on the map is a way to make it look like there are more map pickups than there really are.... its kind of genius really. Ghost is tricking the peeps at 343 that want MOAR STUFF.

So I'm a lurker... and an Australian which means I'm posting this on yellow bar so forgive me if it's been said but.....

MOAR = MO' AR

We never stood a chance....

• Upvote (+1) 4