CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

No one wants Halo to be "the same thing but more polished."

Bullshit.

They want it to resemble Halo

So basically the same game with polish...see bullshit comment above.

aiming that didn't feel like hot piss,

Bloom.

but the larger issue is that the modern games don't FEEL like Halo anymore and that is a far more complex issue.

"In my opinion."

Halo really took a dive after they first mangled its core gameplay beyond recognition

"In my opinion."

hideous art design

"In my opinion.",

physically painful sound design

"In my opinion."

the worst campaign in the history of the series

"In my opinion."

no BTB and then BTB made entirely of bad forge maps (because Battlefield wannabe Warzone replaced it)

Yeah instead of a 8v8 mode with lots of vehicles, chaos, and large maps they had even larger maps with more people vehicles and enemies. Can't believe those fucking bastards at 343 decided to include a mode like that instead of BTB at launch.

(PS warzone is the most popular mode is it not?)

some of the worst UI design I have ever seen in my life

Then you either haven't lived long or you are new to games. Despite not being showy, it was still functional in every regard.

Not only does "modern Halo" not stand out from the crowd AT ALL

"In my opinion."

People didn't gravitate to Halo because it was constantly changing

So what you are saying, is that people want more of the same? See bullshit up above.

You want to mention DOOM? Well, Doom 2016's single player campaign was a success because they focused, first and foremost, on making a game that looks, sounds, plays, and FEELS like a DOOM game

"In my opinion Halo 5 looks, sounds, plays, and feels like a Halo game."

Doing your own thing IS offering a unique experience.

Gee. If only 343 would create a game that offered a different experience from every other AAA title on the market. Maybe call it Halo 5 or something.

you're kind of being pedantic

Of course those are his opinions. Are you looking for objectivity in criticisms of how a game feels? How would this be possible unless it's something completely broken like MCC?

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Jesus fucking christ.

For the love of god what does art design/menu UI/soundtrack/campaign have ANYTHING to do with the HWC or Esports for that matter?!?!

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I feel like the Halo community needs to pull together as one and refuse to call Randa "Daddy."  Seriously the stupidest shit I've ever seen

:^)

• Upvote (+1) 6

I just am quoting this one as it's your most recent, but I just wanted to reply quickly. I love Quake and UT, I havent been as excited for a game release as I am for Quake Champions since Halo 2. But with that said, I want them all to be themselves. I don't want to play some hybrid version of them.  Wall running is not a bad game mechanic. It works great when done right like in UT, however, it has no place in halo. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think half of the shit in halo 5 belongs in halo already.

PS. I'll go back and up rep all your posts I can cuz any UT or quake player is cool by me.

OT but please tell me you weren't playing the Friday the 13th game beta a few hrs ago

New reddit thread on r/videos with +42000 upvotes about a guy doing the halo theme in a bathroom, one comment in particular stuck out:

Now I'm sad because Halo will never be good again.

2833 upvotes, one of the top comments.

• Upvote (+1) 5

This is just the GIF/JIF argument all over again. Please cease.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So nice.

I wish I liked Gears of War more, the developers/community are so good.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Has there been confirmation if the top 3 teams that qualify in St. Louis are able to compete in Vegas?

The Coalition is great. :simms:

In all fairness, 343 did include Vetoed's idea for weapon skins. It wasn't a contest, and it took months for some reason, AND we still don't have some team skins (there is no excuse for that). But at least it's something.

I'm not sure how this really contradicts the argument people are making. No one wants Halo to be "the same thing but more polished." They want it to resemble Halo, which was a unique experience in the context of the market (even after Bungie watered it down multiple times) and absolutely would be in the current market. I've made pretty long posts about this myself, but messing with the core mechanics is hardly the only problem that successive Halo games have had and while Reach was probably the start of the decline in large part for that reason, it still had marks of a Bungie game that 343 has struggled to reproduce. Great UI design, Bungie art and audio design (good lord is 343's awful), a unique social progression system that fostered engagement in all aspects of the game, a huge variety of potential experiences, good social features at launch, aiming that didn't feel like hot piss, and so on. We can talk all we want about specific mechanics and such and their negative impacts (and that's an important issue), but the larger issue is that the modern games don't FEEL like Halo anymore and that is a far more complex issue.

Halo really took a dive after they first mangled its core gameplay beyond recognition, and then stripped out nearly all of the remaining charm that engaged casual players. Just look at Halo 5. It had an ABYSMAL set of social experiences at launch, 4 "arena" modes (one of which is utter garbage), hideous art design, physically painful sound design, the worst campaign in the history of the series (that they had to significantly patch to make it viable for the speed run community), no BTB and then BTB made entirely of bad forge maps (because Battlefield wannabe Warzone replaced it), no infection at launch, some of the worst UI design I have ever seen in my life, a completely soulless and unsatisfying social rank system, "Arena" experience that manages to by simultaneously too sweaty and too casual for both extremes (universal settings are cancer), no LAN support, no split-screen, an OK at best file browser almost a year after launch, and the list continues.

Not only does "modern Halo" not stand out from the crowd AT ALL as a result of copying trends regardless of their compatibility with the aesthetic of the classic Halo games (and 343's art direction), but the overarching experience, not unlike Halo 4 and yet arguable worse, completely fails to live up to Bungie's legacy. Say what you want, but I think you've misinterpreted Bungie's success. People didn't gravitate to Halo because it was constantly changing, Bungie had created such a unique and engaging experience to begin with that it literally took them 3 sequels of making the core gameplay worse to actually fuck it up and while they were doing that, the incredibly good and continually improving social experience they crafted carried them through. H3 may have had significant problems in terms of core gameplay, but the community experience that Bungie offered is why it was the favorite in the series for so many people. That environment was why competitive Halo was able to thrive.

You want to mention DOOM? Well, Doom 2016's single player campaign was a success because they focused, first and foremost, on making a game that looks, sounds, plays, and FEELS like a DOOM game, instead of relying on focus groups and industry trends to determine what they need to add to their game to make it relevant. They even scrapped the original version because it was too much like CoD, which I understand is the exact opposite of what happened with Halo 4. And its multiplayer failed for not committing to that vision. Doing your own thing IS offering a unique experience.

Well I think we're all riffing on the same underlying frustration. All of these things probably played into it. There was degradation and deviation from CE in each successive release, so my argument was that things didn't start getting worse until the games stopped bringing something fresh to the table. But it certainly didn't help that the mechanics were getting worse with each game.

Back in 2008, Halo 3 felt like the "it" game. All your friends will be there, everyone's playing it, etc. etc. etc. Part of that was just because Halo gameplay is so great and they hadn't yet mangled the mechanics enough to make it unfun, as you say. Part of it was because there were all of these awesome things happening with forge, minigames and custom maps. The amount that each of these things contributed is debatable, but the one thing we can agree on is that the high budget, "main event" blockbuster feel of the game made it feel like the place to be. That intangible feeling is the most priceless thing that has been lost.

Just for the record, I was referring to how you feel when you played the _original_ doom for the first time. New Doom is a fun homage, but nothing particularly special imho. 2016 Doom kind of reminds me of The Force Awakens. It played on my nostalgia and pushed all the right buttons, but it didn't create something new. It's a fun but forgettable entry :/

watching og scrim liquid. gun battles look more like COD than i remember before.  or has it been that way all this time?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Gun battles have never looked like COD at all.

Maybe they were playing ARs only SWAT

• Upvote (+1) 2

Maybe they were playing ARs only SWAT

the last couple of maps i watched were basically automatic kills the whole time. it was an anomaly, i guess. 

i don't mind getting negged by idiots who post lame rumors and their ilk, so no biggie. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

watching og scrim liquid. gun battles look more like COD than i remember before.  or has it been that way all this time?

did 343 add ankle spraying to halo?

Gun battles have never looked like COD at all.

I'd really appreciate it if you would preface your posts with some kind of a disclaimer stating that the contents of your post are not factual and/or unanimously agreed upon.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1