CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Sure SC2 blows Halo out of the water in terms of prize money, but it was esports. SC2 was much bigger than it is now, and considering Blizzard has Hearthstone and Overwatch (plus HotS) to foster it's future is not very bright. SC2 is big in Asia but the EU and NA scenes are not what they were years ago. You can't honestly say SC2 is a top tier esport when the coverage isn't there. 

I never said it was a top esport (tier 1), merely that it should be a higher tier than Halo. It doesn't matter what it was a few years ago it's still beating Halo in:

• Total Prize money
  • Number of major tournaments
  • Number of different organizers interested (i.e. not developer backed)
  • Average major tournament viewership
  • Interest in different geographical esports regions

I'm not trying to be a debby downer, just looking at things from an objective perspective - the above are the things we work towards. Now you're going to watch this meme video and forget this conversation ever happened.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Kelby strikes again... IMO that list is completely jumbled and makes no sense.

This is from an article in 2015, so some stuff has definitely shuffled but the parameters are clear and I think it is far more accurate.

ZOi7a5z.png

http://esportsobserver.com/jens-hilgers-launches-the-esports-games-chart-to-evaluate-games-as-esports/

There's a lot of interesting stuff that can be gleamed from this, especially because CoD and Halo are being held up by their developer funded prize money. As someone mentioned, Melee/Smash doesn't have a very strong streaming scene, because most of their content is digested through YouTube in the form of player storylines/tournament highlights.

I didn't know half of tier 2 had a esport presents.

I'm sorry but I'm just not as bummed as you guys. 

• The servers have been way better for me since the update in Cowfuck, IA
  • Finals got me excited for this game again
  • the updated maps are a net positive (I'm loving the camo on empire) and nothing seems egregious like I've come to expect from these previews
  • We have open LANs/Worlds coming up, and I'll be going to at least 1
  • Radar is at least acknowledged by 343

And while the hype is flowing for me I'm just gonna lay this out here: Halo 5 might be my favorite halo since 2 or 3 and I'm not even sure I like 3 better than it. I do like mechanics like thrust and stabilize and slide. I don't find them "clunky". In fact I barely notice doing them in game. 

:intensifies:

I'm really curious to see who comes out as the clear top team in these new team changes. I hate to say that I can't imagine them challenging nV or OG any more than TL did last season, so I'll just directly imply it  :kappa:

Totally agree man. The positivety was flowing here for about a week after finals and now were back to "bring back classic halo." I played every Halo quite a bit and this is a fun game. Do I want classic Halo back? Yes. But things change, they evolve in alot of sports and video games. I love Halo 5 and I think more people are playing it than they think. Is it h3 numbers? No. But I have alot of friends online when I play and many people I play with I know love this game. I really love the direction we are going and think we need to help Halo 5 grow, not keep dreaming about something that will never happen in regards to halo 5.

For myself as a Diamond/low onyx player clamber and thrust are great additions. Are they bad for really good players? Maybe but that is like 1 percent of the games population. I think we have to meet somewhere in the middle with 343 and push for things like spartan charge and super easy sniper to be taken out (See im compromising, I like the h5 sniper). Defintely some old stuff I would like to see brought back, but lots of things I hope stay going forward.

As for radar, I am unsure on if I like it or not. I really hated playing slayer in h3 because of it, but on this game it works in some situations. I also don't think that taking it out is going to boost viewership by some insane margin. Maybe we get some diehards back, but I can't see it making a large difference where viewership is concerened.

As for going Halo going forward, we just had our largest viewership since worlds, we have a great 2017 planned, and 343 is finally listening to us. Lets save the "bring back old halo" for the halo 6 thread and enjoy what we have coming our way for 2017!

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

There's a small vocal minority that assumes their definition of what a "real" halo game is fact and every halo game made should be a perfect representation of what they see as a "real" halo game. It really does become annoying when people act like that.

Oh god

I see there are people like this here as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

SC2 2016

$3,677,612.87 From 172 Events

17.26% of Total Prize Money Awarded

Halo 2016

$2,947,974.23 From 16 Events

99.58% of Total Prize Money Awarded

Geographically SC2 obviously blows Halo out of the water in that it has scenes in Asia, EU and NA. Viewership despite being a 'dead game' it's been higher than Halo for most of the tournaments except the HWC.

That figure for H5 doesn't include anything from the fall season IIRC. I was just looking at esportsearnings earlier.

SC2 2016

Halo 2016

Geographically SC2 obviously blows Halo out of the water in that it has scenes in Asia, EU and NA. Viewership despite being a 'dead game' it's been higher than Halo for most of the tournaments except the HWC.

i've tracked total HCS earnings at $3,479,258

that's not including non official events

your figure might be esportsearnings.com (which i think sux so i started my own tracker for halo)

here's my spreadsheet with all the hcs earnings from 2016 http://bit.ly/HCSEarnings

• Upvote (+1) 2

i never really cared for the term esport personally but I understand the age we are heading towards. For me it was always considered competitive gaming... Nothing more nothing less.

It's always hard for me to call any game a "sport", even sports based video games lol.

• Upvote (+1) 3

i never really cared for the term esport personally but I understand the age we are heading towards. For me it was always considered competitive gaming... Nothing more nothing less.

It's always hard for me to call any game a "sport", even sports based video games lol.

Ya, I agree. I personally find it a bit cringe worthy but whatever. Video games dont match up with what I personally define as a sport but whatever, people can call it whatever they want.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just am quoting this one as it's your most recent, but I just wanted to reply quickly. I love Quake and UT, I havent been as excited for a game release as I am for Quake Champions since Halo 2. But with that said, I want them all to be themselves. I don't want to play some hybrid version of them.  Wall running is not a bad game mechanic. It works great when done right like in UT, however, it has no place in halo. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think half of the shit in halo 5 belongs in halo already.

PS. I'll go back and up rep all your posts I can cuz any UT or quake player is cool by me.

*Wall-jumping not wall-running. I was thinking of more select wall-jumping than full-fledged sticky wall-running like Titanfall but I see your point. I am just thinking of a best-case scenario for Halo where these movement mechanics could actually:

1. Fit within the scheme of the core gameplay

2. Add depth, creativity, and skill to the game without changing the style of the gameplay

3. Speed up gameplay

Wall-jumping would accomplish all of that much better than clamber or other options 343/Bungie has tried such as jetpack and would fit naturally within the movement scheme of the game(ie not spartan abilities) but I can see why some would be hesitant with this franchises's history of failure and confusion when it comes to innovating on its own gameplay formula.

its just funny to see the different reactions of different shooter communities. Oldschool UT players think UT4's movement scheme is actually casual/dumbed down in comparison to past games(and it actually is) like most modern shooters are(*shudders thinking of UT forums) while newer players would be happier with just basic shooter movement and no wall-jumping/dodging/thrusting at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I never said it was a top esport (tier 1), merely that it should be a higher tier than Halo. It doesn't matter what it was a few years ago it's still beating Halo in:

• Total Prize money
  • Number of major tournaments
  • Number of different organizers interested (i.e. not developer backed)
  • Average major tournament viewership
  • Interest in different geographical esports regions

I'm not trying to be a debby downer, just looking at things from an objective perspective - the above are the things we work towards. Now you're going to watch this meme video and forget this conversation ever happened.

Fair enough. You're correct. 

That video was highly disturbing yet oddly alluring. I hate/love you for it. 

I didn't know half of tier 2 had a esport presents.

I remember going through Twitch and saw WoT had a championship and had 10K viewers for a groups match. I was shocked. 

HotS and WoW are going to be in decline while Rocket League and Rainbow Six will be on the upswing IMO. FIFA and Madden have a chance, but I think their audiences don't care about esports. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I believe Snakebite said OpTic vs. new Liquid tonight but I could be mistaken.

Well I hope new LG TL can do better than against NV. That was ugly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm sorry but I'm just not as bummed as you guys. 

• The servers have been way better for me since the update in Cowfuck, IA
  • Finals got me excited for this game again
  • the updated maps are a net positive (I'm loving the camo on empire) and nothing seems egregious like I've come to expect from these previews
  • We have open LANs/Worlds coming up, and I'll be going to at least 1
  • Radar is at least acknowledged by 343

And while the hype is flowing for me I'm just gonna lay this out here: Halo 5 might be my favorite halo since 2 or 3 and I'm not even sure I like 3 better than it. I do like mechanics like thrust and stabilize and slide. I don't find them "clunky". In fact I barely notice doing them in game. 

:intensifies:

I'm really curious to see who comes out as the clear top team in these new team changes. I hate to say that I can't imagine them challenging nV or OG any more than TL did last season, so I'll just directly imply it  :kappa:

Wholeheartedly agree. I wish there were more people like you in here.

• Upvote (+1) 4

No one wants Halo to be "the same thing but more polished."

Bullshit.

They want it to resemble Halo

So basically the same game with polish...see bullshit comment above.

aiming that didn't feel like hot piss,

Bloom.

but the larger issue is that the modern games don't FEEL like Halo anymore and that is a far more complex issue.

"In my opinion."

Halo really took a dive after they first mangled its core gameplay beyond recognition

"In my opinion."

hideous art design

"In my opinion.",

physically painful sound design

"In my opinion."

the worst campaign in the history of the series

"In my opinion."

no BTB and then BTB made entirely of bad forge maps (because Battlefield wannabe Warzone replaced it)

Yeah instead of a 8v8 mode with lots of vehicles, chaos, and large maps they had even larger maps with more people vehicles and enemies. Can't believe those fucking bastards at 343 decided to include a mode like that instead of BTB at launch.

(PS warzone is the most popular mode is it not?)

some of the worst UI design I have ever seen in my life

Then you either haven't lived long or you are new to games. Despite not being showy, it was still functional in every regard.

Not only does "modern Halo" not stand out from the crowd AT ALL

"In my opinion."

People didn't gravitate to Halo because it was constantly changing

So what you are saying, is that people want more of the same? See bullshit up above.

You want to mention DOOM? Well, Doom 2016's single player campaign was a success because they focused, first and foremost, on making a game that looks, sounds, plays, and FEELS like a DOOM game

"In my opinion Halo 5 looks, sounds, plays, and feels like a Halo game."

Doing your own thing IS offering a unique experience.

Gee. If only 343 would create a game that offered a different experience from every other AAA title on the market. Maybe call it Halo 5 or something.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 12

SC2 2016

Halo 2016

Really only 17% of that total prize money got awarded? Or am i misinterpreting this? Not the sharpest tool lol

Wel I hope new LG can do better than agaist NV. That was ugly.

I guess you mean new TL? Not surprised they've been struggling in scrims, even if Stellur & Eco are upgrades (debatable, but in my mind they are). Chemistry changing + Stellur plays so differently from Spartan, and they don't really have a "front-liner" anymore, which Audley has mentioned. 

Snakebite also said on stream that Stellur/Eco not the type to be "honey-moon" players, at least on this squad.

Isn't EG also scrimming for first time in a while tonight? With APG/Ace.

• Upvote (+1) 1