CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

you're probably right in that this is where we will go, but honestly, its not what i want for halo. i love the mechanics of good wall jumping and i play titanfall more than anything else lately, but at the end of the day, i want a boots on the ground game that puts more emphasis on strafing and aiming than anything else. i think there is room in the market for games like that. i prefer walljumping to clamber, but at the end of the day, i dont think halo needs them. the old school mechanics of halo make this a unique game. plus i dont really think skill jumps will be as smooth without kbm input

FYI, you probably spend more time jumping in Halo than in Quake or UT, especially in 1v1 encounters where you would never jump in UT or Quake unless you are talking about Ut2k4 dodge-jumping. Classic Arena FPS games emphasis strafing and aiming more than any games do lol its just you have more creative map movement options as well. I respect your opinion though, but wall-jumping would not majorly change the style of the game it would probably effect it much less than clamber tbh.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I couldn't agree more. There's nothing wrong with copying other games, but you have to copy the right games.

Obviously halo has a bit of the dna from classic arena shooters like UT, so thats where they should look when they want to find ways to enhance mobility.

I know we all Haye sprint in Halo, for example, but I'd it were implimented like UTs then it wouldn't have had a damaging effect on map design.

If we had wall jumping instead of clamber, we'd have a mechanic that adds depth to movement, and increases the skill gap rather than a shallow mechanic that wastes precious frames removing the player from combat

@@Tashi @@Deez @@ske7ch @@GH057ayame
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

FYI, you probably spend more time jumping in Halo than in Quake or UT, especially in 1v1 encounters where you would never jump in UT or Quake unless you are talking about Ut2k4 dodge-jumping. Classic Arena FPS games emphasis strafing and aiming more than any games do lol its just you have more creative map movement options as well. I respect your opinion though, but wall-jumping would not majorly change the style of the game it would probably effect it much less than clamber tbh.

yeah clamber seems to designed to punish you for vertical movement with the amount of time it takes you away from your weapon. wall jumping can reward movement and open up maps. my only concern is implementation both with 343 design choices, because if it fails and the game fails, then i dont see hcs recovering. if they can do it well then im open to it, but my confidence isn't high

I couldn't agree more. There's nothing wrong with copying other games, but you have to copy the right games.

Obviously halo has a bit of the dna from classic arena shooters like UT, so thats where they should look when they want to find ways to enhance mobility.

I know we all Haye sprint in Halo, for example, but I'd it were implimented like UTs then it wouldn't have had a damaging effect on map design.

If we had wall jumping instead of clamber, we'd have a mechanic that adds depth to movement, and increases the skill gap rather than a shallow mechanic that wastes precious frames removing the player from combat

Exactly! Plus it would work really well in combination with thrust+slide to create awesome thrust+wall-jump and slide+wall-jump movement chains! 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Spartan's squad seems to be out of the honeymoon phase  :intensifies:

I know a lot of people look at that squad and think "Worlds ALG - Naded + Spartan! A great team with added slaying power!!!!"

However, this team really is different. At Worlds, Suspector was playing like a T5 player, El Town and Cratos were way ahead of the curve on the "nerdiness" scale, and Naded is.... Naded.

This team lacks the raw gunskill needed to go far, imo.

I know a lot of people look at that squad and think "Worlds ALG - Naded + Spartan! A great team with added slaying power!!!!"

However, this team really is different. At Worlds, Suspector was playing like a T5 player, El Town and Cratos were way ahead of the curve on the "nerdiness" scale, and Naded is.... Naded.

This team lacks the raw gunskill needed to go far, imo.

Unfortunately, I think you're correct. Suspector hasn't been the same since he was hyped last year. 

Also heard supremacy is currently going with cxli, punisher, solar and 50 (i will be honest i have never heard of the last player but this was just something i heard on stream)

50s gamertag is Fiftylicious (or something like that). Have played those 4 together alot in Arena latetly. So that makes sense.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I just am quoting this one as it's your most recent, but I just wanted to reply quickly. I love Quake and UT, I havent been as excited for a game release as I am for Quake Champions since Halo 2. But with that said, I want them all to be themselves. I don't want to play some hybrid version of them.  Wall running is not a bad game mechanic. It works great when done right like in UT, however, it has no place in halo. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think half of the shit in halo 5 belongs in halo already.

PS. I'll go back and up rep all your posts I can cuz any UT or quake player is cool by me.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I just am quoting this one as it's your most recent, but I just wanted to reply quickly. I love Quake and UT, I havent been as excited for a game release as I am for Quake Champions since Halo 2. But with that said, I want them all to be themselves. I don't want to play some hybrid version of them. Wall running is not a bad game mechanic. It works great when done right like in UT, however, it has no place in halo. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think half of the shit in halo 5 belongs in halo already.

PS. I'll go back and up rep all your posts I can cuz any UT or quake player is cool by me.

Nobody here wants wall running. We were talking wall jumping replacing clamber.

• Upvote (+1) 1

OK boys - I need your help.  I have been in the Dominican Republic for the last 8 day (oh poor me) and have 115 pages of intel I don't have time to catch up on with Christmas coming.  Can someone please give me the top 5 or so things that I need to know?  Please?  I'll even make it easy for quoting.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

The last I saw was Spartans tweetgate - dropped or left or who-the-fuck knows.

Finally - for Pic or it didn't happen people....

Beach%20sized.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm just sick of mechanics that deviate from the Halo formula, good or bad.

the laid out core Halo formula was Even starts, grenades, beatdowns and pick up power weapons

The movement will never go back to the one of Halo CE, and I know I'll get negged for it but I'm happy it won't.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

OK boys - I need your help. I have been in the Dominican Republic for the last 8 day (oh poor me) and have 115 pages of intel I don't have time to catch up on with Christmas coming. Can someone please give me the top 5 or so things that I need to know? Please? I'll even make it easy for quoting.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

The last I saw was Spartans tweetgate - dropped or left or who-the-fuck knows. Finally - for Pic or it didn't happen people....

who's the joker in the pink shorts you're with?

• Upvote (+1) 6

Wife :)

Does she play video games? Edit: and i mean real ones, not candy crush or mobile games or any of that shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Does she play video games? Edit: and i mean real ones, not candy crush or mobile games or any of that shit.

Just Super Meat Boy

Just Super Meat Boy

That is an interesting "perfection required" game to be the only game someone plays.

Now if your wife played borderlands, dragon age, tomb raider, anything mario or zelda and a bunch of platformers that would be dope....

My wife does. i win  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 3

That is an interesting "perfection required" game to be the only game someone plays.

Now if your wife played borderlands, dragon age, tomb raider, anything mario or zelda and a bunch of platformers that would be dope....

My wife does. i win  :simms:

my wife plays Disney infinity...does that count?

Been playing since h2 and finally played alot of no radar last night; so here's my 2 cents.

It's complicated. On a game like Truth Slayer it was great. Our communication won us the game which I felt hasn't been as big of a factor in H5. Then you play Empire Strongholds. Holy cow it was hot garbage. So many assassinations, my average life was like 12 seconds and I felt like there was so little strategy.

"You just need to get use to it." I don't think so. Even on CTF certain maps it was so chaotic. With all these Spartan abilities, you can get around the map in 5 seconds. You're not just checking corners like in H3. You're constantly looking in every direction to check that random ledge, pyramid, blue sneaky, etc.

Just 2 examples. But point is some maps/ gametypes it felt great, others it was a complete mess. Practice would make it feel more comfortable, but I don't see how (especially) Strongholds would be magically better No Radar. But you can't have radar for only some gametypes. Idk... I think the most practical way to improve the competitive scene is nerfing AR's. You absolutely cannot have radar and powerful autos together.

Thanks for doing some testing, but Empire Strongholds is a mess no matter what. I'm curios, which others did you test that were too chaotic to play?