CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

OT: I was watching this earlier today and believe that it would still be very applicable to the scene.

Alcholiniac  :kappa:

h5 is more or less a lost cause for us to move up in the esports food chain

All the evidence tells me im wrong, but I refuse to believe that. Period. Ive had the most fun playing this game since halo 2 at times. It can be soooo good. It has also been the most frustrating, bs game i have ever played at other times.

YOU CAN GET 90% OF THE WAY TO FIXING THIS WITH 5 MINUTES IN THE CUSTOM GAME SETTINGS.

i know im preaching to the choir here, but radar is NOT the problem. Its the symptom of a problem. Changing how radar works is symptom management, not a cure.

You're supposed to be stewards of the franchise 343, not dogmatic bean counters.

Fix it right

• Upvote (+1) 2

probably more than half the current pros never played halo within the top 8 at its prime during halo 2,3. So why is 343 asking them for ways to increase viewership when they have zero experience playing the game at the height of its popularity. 

Its like asking an NBA rookie how to make the NBA like it was in 2008, yeah they watched basketball, played basketball, but how the heck are they supposed to know what it was like to play in the NBA in 2008? 

yeah its a different game with a different meta, so is the NBA from 2008 to now, i'd still trust the player with 5 years+ experience at the top over a player under the age of 20 when it comes to how to get more viewers for halo.

if you didn't play halo 2 or 3 in the top 8(12?) in its entirety then you don't know.

By that logic this entire thread would be pointless. Because then no one here would have what is considered "valid input" on how to get more viewers and everyone here seems pretty damn sure they do know what needs to be done. Doubt very many of them were among those 32 people back in Halo2/3

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think a single soul on this forum believes the answer is remove radar and everything will be better. But that's the first step. Certain maps would be worse and other maps may become better, there's no doubt radar is a detriment to the competitiveness of H5 and it's mildly understandable not wanting to make a change before the next tournament which is only a month away. 

What I got from that settings update on waypoint was 343 simply will not change their ways. They are entirely willing to sacrifice the idea of making H5 the most competitive it can be. Why this is the case I have no idea, I wish someone from 343 could shed the light in a more candid matter but that will never happen. 

Loving Halo in 2016/17 is like loving an abusive husband. You've been with them for so long and been through a lot of great times, especially early in the relationship, but the last few years have been hard. Then just when things started looking brighter, more disappointment.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Literally this a hundred times over.

I dont play lol, gears, csgo, or hearthstone, but i watch them. Hell i barely play h5 anymore but i still follow hcs. Playing the game and watching it dont necessarily go hand in hand.

Also after the poor viewership of pro league and the hcs lans, having a 41k finals shows that there is still interest even if a lot of people came for optic nv only. There is still an interest if we can deliver a compelling enough product

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is anyone still prepared to argue for the net positive of spartan abilities when we have to give players radar due to its excessive "randomness"?

Who were these even meant to appeal to?

I'm sick of this "343's vision" garbage. Let's be honest, this isn't someone's vision; it's somebody's calculated money machine. You can't convince me that the same people within the company who gave us the MCC disaster give a shit about their fans.

I'm sure there's a lot of people at 343 who go into work each day and put in hours of good work. But there's a shady core of employees that have given us disaster after disaster since 2012, whether it be through incompetence, or maliciousness.

I had to triple check I was reading the name of who posted this correctly

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I had to triple check I was reading the name of who posted this correctly

What's this supposed to mean?

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm sure there's a lot of people at 343 who go into work each day and put in hours of good work. But there's a shady core of employees that have given us disaster after disaster since 2012, whether it be through incompetence, or maliciousness.

yeah man i bet treyarch has moles working for 343

Loving Halo in 2016/17 is like loving an abusive husband. You've been with them for so long and been through a lot of great times, especially early in the relationship, but the last few years have been hard. Then just when things started looking brighter, more disappointment.

I can't be the only one dying on the inside from reading analogies like these everyday..
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Who's running with who tonight?

Left the girlfriends and back to stone age internet. Been updating my xbox for the past 7 hours still not done. Only 433mb apparently.

If you have decent internet, please don't take it for granted.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I can't be the only one dying on the inside from reading analogies like these everyday..

Because you agree or disagree, not sure which?

I don't think 343 has truly malicious intent. In fact I think they are capable of making good games. They just can't seem to make a particularly good Halo. Their vision for the future of Halo is different from the majority of the community's, and while games like H4 are good they are not good Halos. Can't speak much to MCC, that was an objective shit show, (putting it lightly) but I think their vision for the future of the franchise is to move away from what the franchise is.

Just adding my once a month post that doesn't really do much but I totally see why 343 put auto guns in Halo. As someone who has played multiplayer since H2, getting friends to pick up and play was a problem since they are CoD fans and need the fast time to kill with easy mechanics. I think it's a great idea for public matches. What frustrates me beyond belief is 343s inability to differentiate public games from professional games. I'm only able to convince my friends to pick up and play because of amazing games such as

EG Vs CLG (X-Games), Denial VS CLG (NAHWCQ) and the E6 VS EG drama.

Since those amazing stories started, they have loved Halo and we all sit in a Skype call #PoweredByHCS #SellOut and watch matches/tournaments together. It's by far the most enjoyable to watch FPS wise. What 343 need to understand is that you can have different settings from public/vanilla settings and sit grow both scenes as if that player has made a conscious decision to find out more about the competitive side, then they are bound to understand that small changes would occur from normal play (CoD for e.g. puts timers on death in Comp but not in a majority of pubs).

Edit: Was meaning to lead back to get rid of autos, make them pick up and make pistol start for comp play. Get rid of radar or change it substantially based on pro feedback. It has no place in comp.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I agree with the sentiment. The analogies are just a bit over the top lol

Understandable, it felt mildly over the top when I was writing it but at the same time memories of 07-10 were flooding back and I probably went overboard lol. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

going to the store to buy enough food and booze to last me through dec 25th. 

when i get back, a scrim had better have started. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Spartan El Town Cratos and Suspector vs Hammy Dan Naded and Heinz

Bubu Contra Devon and Shooter vs Penguin Rayne Eco and Stellur

These games are going on right now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was told that Ogre 2 said on stream that Optic is making a change and that the floodgates are about to open.

Gonna need a clip of that please.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was told that Ogre 2 said on stream that Optic is making a change and that the floodgates are about to open.

We need a clip because that just sounds like BS.

• Upvote (+1) 4