CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Have any pros actually given reasons on why they want radar to stay rather than no radar? In depth reasons. Not just like "Oh, H5 doesn't work without radar." Explain why you think that.

Only talking about the pros who think it should stay which is like 3. lel

Plenty of them have, yes. They think the game becomes far to chaotic and unpredictable.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Question for the people that are pro-ability/sprint radar. Would yall prefer if sprint and abilities were removed entirely but know that's unrealistic so this is the next best thing, or do yall just think it's a nice middle ground between radar/no radar?

It is December 20, 2016. This game came out October 27, 2015. People have been complaining about radar in competitive settings for 14 months, 

fixed

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly im not sure why im surprised. I feel like 343 just doesnt care about the audience , the fan base is crying for a change and they just refuse to see it . My roommates tried to watch season finals but they just laughed at an esport having radar . Its a joke that in 2016  i have to watch players crouch around corners instead of making actual plays. I understand radar may feel chaotic , but id much rather see action packed gameplay that can draw new viewers in . Watching players camp on eden slayer for a full game is not gonna attract anyone. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I'm not buying the whole "radar is integrated into the game" argument. We've had vertical and complex maps in Halo that functioned optimally without radar. The only significant differences with respect to Halo 5 are the Spartan abilities and I don't see how having radar or not changes things much on that front.

No radar promotes better awareness through a fundamental integration of enemy, teammate, map and weapon awareness as a mental skill component. Using a radar in no meaningful way increases the skill ceiling in any way more than not having radar at all.

Radar that detects only Spartan abilities would only be a compromise. Better, sure, but there's a better and simpler alternative already available.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It is December 20, 2017. This game came out October 27, 2015.

We still have radar next year? Ffs. Also what stocks hould i buy :P

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm going to step out of the shadows very briefly and just rant a little bit.

You have Quinn tweeting that this update is the "results from lots of hard work". Sketch is saying this is in response to "recent feedback". The blog post says "Long-time fans will know that this topic is certainly not new to the world of competitive Halo".

What hard work? How is this recent? How is this topic new?

It is December 20, 2017. This game came out October 27, 2015. People have been complaining about radar in competitive settings for over two years, and what do you have to show for it? The features that aren't even built yet. Competitive 4v4 Halo has always had no radar until 343 decided Halo 5 needed it.

This is classic 343 procedure, and is the exact reason I have stepped away from Halo almost entirely. They always frame their solutions as direct and timely responses to an at-large problem. Except like usual this problem stems from 343's own poor decision making in the first place.

Think about it for a second. They are literally patting themselves on the back on Waypoint and on Twitter for essentially not having an immediate solution to a problem they created, and it took them two years after release for them to give themselves this pat on the back.

And to the small minority that say this game plays too crazily with no radar at all, you are also missing the point. Ask yourself why it plays too crazily that way. Wow, surprise: it's because of the slew of movement abilities 343 implemented in Halo 5. Again, a problem they created (and a problem they don't have a proper and immediate solution to).

Bruh

It's been one year... it's December 2016

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm here from the future to tell you not much has changed.

Ok I fixed it.

So upset about radar that you forgot what year it is.

Look at what you're doing to us 343.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm going to step out of the shadows very briefly and just rant a little bit.

You have Quinn tweeting that this update is the "results from lots of hard work". Sketch is saying this is in response to "recent feedback". The blog post says "Long-time fans will know that this topic is certainly not new to the world of competitive Halo".

What hard work? How is this recent? How is this topic new?

It is December 20, 2017. This game came out October 27, 2015. People have been complaining about radar in competitive settings for over two years, and what do you have to show for it? The features that aren't even built yet. Competitive 4v4 Halo has always had no radar until 343 decided Halo 5 needed it.

This is classic 343 procedure, and is the exact reason I have stepped away from Halo almost entirely. They always frame their solutions as direct and timely responses to an at-large problem. Except like usual this problem stems from 343's own poor decision making in the first place.

Think about it for a second. They are literally patting themselves on the back on Waypoint and on Twitter for essentially not having an immediate solution to a problem they created, and it took them two years after release for them to give themselves this pat on the back.

And to the small minority that say this game plays too crazily with no radar at all, you are also missing the point. Ask yourself why it plays too crazily that way. Wow, surprise: it's because of the slew of movement abilities 343 implemented in Halo 5. Again, a problem they created (and a problem they don't have a proper and immediate solution to).

I do agree with you. Break the game. Spend a year releasing "fixes" no actual work gets done.look at the speed we get skins vs other games. It feels like early access type stuff to me. Its sad that so many devs now have to rush to deadlines so they release parts of the whole then spen all their time patching it to what it shouldve been in the first place

343 has done more in the last 3 months than the previous 12, they still suck but its getting better. Radar will be super nerfed after HWC, its coming.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Does radar stop people from watching or competing?  are there players who aren't getting an hwc together because of it?

• Downvote (-1) 1

This SA only radar that "is better" hasn't even been played lmao.

naw man it's better don't @

radar in any form has no business in competitive halo

idc what h4 and reach kids think

the majority of competitive halo fans are from the old no radar era and they have expectations for what competitive halo is supposed to be

Does radar stop people from watching or competing?  are there players who aren't getting an hwc together because of it?

yes and yes

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Have people considered the effect of removing radar on the spectator experience?

If you have pros who have incredible awareness and are communicating with 3 other players saying the game is chaotic without radar the average viewer might find it even more so no? Wouldn't this make game more difficult to follow for that viewer?

I'm not saying this is the case, I'm genuinely asking because I haven't watched much no-radar gameplay. It could be one line of reasoning which 343 is considering.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If it was disabled I would try to compete again. I watch for other reasons, mainly because I invest into specific players over teams. Radar on doesn't deter me enough from supporting those players, but I don't watch the entire event because I don't find competitive Halo as interesting as it can be.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It stops Halo from being more exciting. Same reason the sniper rifle's magnetism should be reduced, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Have people considered the effect of removing radar on the spectator experience?

If you have pros who have incredible awareness and are communicating with 3 other players saying the game is chaotic without radar the average viewer might find it even more so no? Wouldn't this make game more difficult to follow for that viewer?

I'm not saying this is the case, I'm genuinely asking because I haven't watched much no-radar gameplay. It could be one line of reasoning which 343 is considering.

If this is somehow an issue (I don't believe it is), we have Observer mode to show player outlines anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You know how you can test different versions of the radar really quickly? By using the preview playlist. Just do a week or so of no radar, SA only radar, sprint only radar, etc. man we are over a year deep and NOW they are JUST testing the basics. GG.

You make it sound like they can do this with a push of a button. SA only radar isn't even a toggable option. There might not be any code related to it's implementation; it's understandable that it'll take time to get pushed.

• Downvote (-1) 1

You make it sound like they can do this with a push of a button. SA only radar isn't even a toggable option. There might not be any code related to it's implementation; it's understandable that it'll take time to get pushed.

Both camo radar and the radar usable in warzone once you hit level 5 are functionally identical. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

At least they removed Shotgun on Eden TS - one of the most annoying radar/weapon/map combos in the game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If this is somehow an issue (I don't believe it is), we have Observer mode to show player outlines anyway.

True, however, that's not going to be on all the time. When it was first introduced people actually complained it was used too much.