CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Occasionally I wonder what the Halo scene would be like if we never created this place.

We'd still be at THC mate :>

Well, until whoever was paying the bills stopped.

We personally had a different "vision" for Beyond outside of being another forum, which is why I think it didnt fail after a year or two.

THC fell a part before Beyond even had a website, so I doubt it would be around.

Well, until whoever was paying the bills stopped.

When the lights go off that's when the real party starts.

We personally had a different "vision" for Beyond outside of being another forum, which is why I think it didnt fail after a year or two.

THC fell a part before Beyond even had a website, so I doubt it would be around.

Yeh a forum wasn't even on the cards at first was it?

Unless that was a stealth tactic to put THC at ease, so that slow and steadily you could encroach on their tiring bones until they're weak enough, just weak enough that one blow finishes them.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

For those of you that keep saying things like "constant hate", do you actually really read this thread on a daily basis? Catch up on every page every day?

If you answer yes, you're either lying about reading every page or lying about there being constant hate.

Criticism =/= hate.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Occasionally I wonder what the Halo scene would be like if we never created this place.

I imagine SOMEONE would've put in some effort to create their own forum at some point.

If TeamBeyond didn't exist, there would be a replacement...for better or for worse.  (Likely much worse, you guys have built up a robust forum suite with some great functionality and tournament options.)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

In light of everything else, made a little montage showcasing all of the major plays & highlights from @@RyaNoob this past weekend at LV  :)

I'm sure I'm not the only one in the bunch when I say that he put on quite a show this weekend. Was very impressed.

that was awesome, mad respect dude!

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm amazed that anyone could NOT see these forums as toxic, particularly this thread and the H5 thread (which is a toxic waste site at this point).  In this thread there are hype moments and some positivity, but also a bunch of effing bitter complainers who pick apart every ridiculous thing.  It's not constructive, most of the time.  

And even if it's true that years of positive constructive criticism has gone unheeded, or whatever, the answer is not whining negativity.  I absolutely guarantee that it's turned people away from this community.  

People were complaining about the lack of a countdown timer on day 1 instead of talking about the matches ... MLG production quality was actually pretty bad back in H3, but no one cared, because there weren't a few power users spamming negative comments and driving the conversation in that direction.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 9

Constant disappointment leads to the escalation of hate.

We aren't just blind hate. We recognize a job well done when we see it, and we want to see it consistently.

I don't know if anyone else remembers this but I remember back on THC some news came out (don't remember what) but it was pretty big I think, whoever posted it made a new thread about it and I remember that thread being like 14 pages of praise that day towards 343. Thats how happy everyone was about it.

I mean it later turned out it was a bunch of bullshit/lies and "hate/anger" ensued but until that point 14 fucking pages of praise. We aren't just all negative for the sake of it or blind hate, or above congratulating a job well done or whatever. It just seems 343 does a good job very few and far between and its baffling/infuriating and its been this way since they took the reigns.

I know this happened a long time ago but I just wanted to highlight this and it seemed to perfectly.

I also fail to see how its on the community to fix things (not that we have any power to) or the communities fault when its at the hands of the developer we're in this position/like this to begin with. We do what we can, always have, always will, maybe we could do a little better but at the end of the day its out of our hands.

The communities reaction/attitude is a direct result of the developers actions (or inactions) and it will(and has) change accordingly. There are a number of examples of this. Until then I don't know what we can do.

I said something like this in response to @@FrankTheShow back in this thread almost 2 yrs ago. Curious, what changed with you U4ix?

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm amazed that anyone could NOT see these forums as toxic, particularly this thread and the H5 thread (which is a toxic waste site at this point). In this thread there are hype moments and some positivity, but also a bunch of effing bitter complainers who pick apart every ridiculous thing. It's not constructive, most of the time.

And even if it's true that years of positive constructive criticism has gone unheeded, or whatever, the answer is not whining negativity. I absolutely guarantee that it's turned people away from this community.

People were complaining about the lack of a countdown timer on day 1 instead of talking about the matches ... MLG production quality was actually pretty bad back in H3, but no one cared, because there weren't a few power users spamming negative comments and driving the conversation in that direction.

Stop comparing 2007 technology to 2017 technology and using that as an excuse for shit quality. And this post is toxic af too homie so good job really bringing out the light you're a great guy.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

boohoo people aren't talking about what i want to read

maybe i should do the ironic thing and complain about it instead of starting the conversation i want to read

also can i pls get a list of these so called power users

there are only like ~30 thread regulars, everyone is a "power user" to me

who do you think is gonna win the LCQ? splyce? ok cool convo

My heart tells me Team Cryptic but my brain says Splyce will come out hot and destroy everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My heart tells me Team Cryptic but my brain says Splyce will come out hot and destroy everyone.

i feel the same way, cryptic is a good team but splyce is just on another level

tbh i'd like to see cryptic win because it would be a good story

1: Splyce

2A: ALG

2B: Cryptic

3. EG

how do you feel about ALG? i was going to put them 3 but it didn't feel right

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hope you like it

In the spirit of positivity, I also want to say how great this video is. Keep up the good work!

While it is healthy to offer criticism, I think it is important to recognize that without 343/Microsoft creating the HCS/HWC, this video and the story it tells would not exist. While there have been missteps along the way, overall we have still come to a point where there is a fairly healthy scene again and great competition among top level teams. Should we keep pushing to grow/improve the Halo community? Absolutely. Can we do that without personally attacking 343 employees and nitpicking every time a microphone is accidentally turned off on stream or a commercial break goes a little too long? I certainly hope so.

• Upvote (+1) 2

3. EG

Based on recent history I think there is a good chance ALG takes it. They seem to play so much better online.

I'd also love to see Cryptic win, but I think it comes down to Splyce/ALG. Out of those two I would prefer to see Splyce get the spot.

I don't think you read the conversation we had if that is what you believe. Actually I should correct that. With what I said he thought the match I was talking about was splyce, but my point was that the EG vs splyce match had no reason to be on stream over a qualifying match, and EG lost to an AM team round 1. Which is why in my post I said MLG would not have put that match on stage either. 

Just thought I would clear something up PJ when it comes to that EG series. I don't think most people, myself included, were mad that EG series wasn't being broadcasted in its entirety. People were upset because instead of hopping over to the feature station for the Game 7 of that series, we got 2 interviews and went to the analysis desk while it was going on. It was more frustration over why we seemingly can't ever make changes on the fly when it comes to these series or why there is no second stream for events like this.

Edit: Nevermind I'm talking about the wrong series. I'm an idiot.

Edit 2: My first edit was wrong. The EG vs Splyce series was when this happened.

• Upvote (+1) 3

3. EG

Don't they have a good online record? I think they could do it but they seem to tilt very hard when something goes wrong.

I don't think you read the conversation we had if that is what you believe. Actually I should correct that. With what I said he thought the match I was talking about was splyce, but my point was that the EG vs splyce match had no reason to be on stream over a qualifying match, and EG lost to an AM team round 1. Which is why in my post I said MLG would not have put that match on stage either. 

sorry. i assumed you meant this exchange

liVcbTw.png

Well let's say for example I want to watch @@SnakeBite and OpTic on stage for a feature match. They're my favourite team and I'm excited because it's the finals. I get set up, grab a drink, I'm ready to watch.

First game passes, optic win strongholds 100-40. So far so good, then there's a 30 minute break between the next game. It's frustrating, but I like Dadbite and I want to see him play.

Next game the audio cuts out. It's jarring and irritating, but I put up with it because, again, I want to watch my favourite team and player.

There's another delay. It's already late, I'm tired and it's starting to become more than irritating. The same Halo Wars 2 ad, the same delay. The casters are doing what they can to keep us interested, but it's been an hour and I've only seen two games.

I head over to Beyond and I see people posting their thoughts. "Long delay between games" "Audio keeps cutting out" "It's 2am I'm tired".

People have different tolerances of disappointment. I don't think it's fair to label these people as negative "the problem" type people. They love Halo and they're getting a sub-par experience of it.

Sure, there are some top-tier nancies in here, but don't label people who want a seamless event (like we've had in the past, like CoD and CSGO and LoL has) as negative problems to be removed.

I just want to watch Halo, so do the others. Forgive us for expecting an event to be better run.

Also, I appreciate your two posts about the issue @@SnakeBite, I respect your maturity.

OpTic 1st.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Based on recent history I think there is a good chance ALG takes it. They seem to play so much better online.

I'd also love to see Cryptic win, but I think it comes down to Splyce/ALG. Out of those two I would prefer to see Splyce get the spot.

same, and i only say that because i want the best NA teams to be at worlds and they seem like the better team ATM

obviously that could change with a strong performance from ALG this weekend, they play the games for a reason i suppose ;)

Don't they have a good online record? I think they could do it but they seem to tilt very hard when something goes wrong.

http://www.halodatahive.com/Team/Detail/3

~50% win rate vs pro teams is pretty good imo

rmUD4sQ.png

and here's their record vs splyce

according to my super quick math ALG is up 26-25 in the series overall, that's a pretty good sign

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't know if anyone realised but FabE were the only team to qualify for worlds but winning a bo5. Every other qualifying match was/is bo7. They obviously won the event, but I found it interesting

• Upvote (+1) 1