CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Anyone know why rayne peng contra dev broke up before regionals?

Dev/personality clashes

so Dev lol

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

didn't even say something to the effect of, he only didn't team with Rayne that Pro League season because he was being an idiot?  :kappa:

They have fantastic chemistry.

LOL yes he did:

Also they'd lose the Raynguin synergy.  Those two were born a duo.  Amazed they split for S1 Pro League.

It's because I'm literally an idiot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I disagree. When you're the best in the game purely from skill and raw talent, you can have other flaws (communication, morale, etc.) and still win. When competition improves because it's a different game and there's more money on the line bringing out more talent and younger players, you have to adapt. If that means improving your weak spots (communication, dragging down team morale, etc.), then you have to do that. Just because something worked in the past doesn't mean it always will.

If I was an amazing shot in Halo Reach with bloom because I timed my shots perfectly, and then no bloom came out and I could shoot faster, I would have to adapt to the current meta. Current meta in Halo 5 is good teamwork and communication. NOTE: THIS WAS ONLY AN EXAMPLE, REACH WAS LAME

as to the bold, i kinda addressed that

i dont think the twins are bad. maybe its the combo of them and towey. most likely though its that they've hit the point where they aren't willing to sacrifice the other aspects of their lives in order to truly excel at this game. the easy check is all well and good but im betting that they are at the point where they may just retire and move on with school/family/work.

we cant really look at their arguing  either since they've been bickering since halo 2. i think most of their teammates would attest to that

until recently, they really havent put as much time into the game as other pros and it shows in the results we've seen. i think that if they wanted to, they could start grinding again and become top 4 material, but i'm willing to bet that that time commitment isn't appealing any more. i see that as their biggest block to being great again more so than their communication style since thats how they've always been

as to the bold, i kinda addressed that

until recently, they really havent put as much time into the game as other pros and it shows in the results we've seen. i think that if they wanted to, they could start grinding again and become top 4 material, but i'm willing to bet that that time commitment isn't appealing any more. i see that as their biggest block to being great again more so than their communication style since thats how they've always been

The twins always have bickered, but I think this game for the first time in their careers is where they seem to have a completely different outlook on how to play the game. That's the feeling I have got from them over the course of the last year.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So why have we not tested the pro pipe i think it would be better than the caster 

This

Despite the massive blast radius I still think it's a skillful weapon and should definitely be on at least a few maps. Way more interesting weapon than the Caster. While we're at it can we get the Sentinel Beam in there?

• Upvote (+1) 2

He's not wrong though. I've given feedback for the event, but more positivity when the event is actually running would be my feedback for the community. At times it felt like you're watching the event with a hyperactive toddler that felt the need to point out the obvious.

• LOOK LOOK THERE'S A LOGO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN FOR FIIIIVE WHOLE SECONDS, we all saw it Timmy and now it's gone
  • GUYS GUYS THE ANALYSTS ARE STANDING UP, yes Timmy this is common practice now sit down.

What people have got to remember is that as hyped as you get when seeing peoples reactions on here to something amazing, there's also the flip side that can end up detracting from the experience. I watched the str8 series the following morning with coffee and it was absolutely fucking amazing, I come here and the emphasis was on biased commentary (as though it's a make or break thing) instead of the incredible series.

We even had people so keen to get in on it that they jumped the gun and posted the wrong information about Luma's winners bracket match not being shown on stream. Ironically this was tied in my mind as the most frustrating moment of the weekend along with LG not being shown in the losers bracket until the last game.

It's absolutely OK to criticize and push for improvement but it gets so melodramatic when it isn't necessary. The emergence of casting the feature station came about through Simms coming here fully open to hear criticism not through how loud people were moaning. 

i think a lot of it boils down to "the devil is in the details." almost 2 years in and we're hitting the same wall of problems that these instances of aggravation skip the "aw well look at that. oopsies" moment straight to "fix that shit now" because we've been beating this same drum for a while now. why are we still having these issues of scheduling, missing games, etc. and i also think you gloss over the many posts specifically about the gameplay and target the complaints to justify the argument of beyond being a toddler. there are a lot of posts of gameplay clips, links to periscope, updates on series scores, etc. and honestly, this place became a suggestion box for the fact that simms does check this place for ideas.

i dont necessarily disagree that there are places where people will reach for complaints but we also dont want to die the death of 1000 cuts. all the small things count when trying to grow the scene

• Upvote (+1) 2

We even had people so keen to get in on it that they jumped the gun and posted the wrong information about Luma's winners bracket match not being shown on stream. Ironically this was tied in my mind as the most frustrating moment of the weekend along with LG not being shown in the losers bracket until the last game.

It's absolutely OK to criticize and push for improvement but it gets so melodramatic when it isn't necessary. The emergence of casting the feature station came about through Simms coming here fully open to hear criticism not through how loud people were moaning. 

That was one person who misread his tweet and was promptly corrected. A slight exaggeration, no?

So Simms is open to criticism and because of this fixed a problem....but it's bad to complain if some people don't agree. How does that logic follow? Who decides on what is necessary?

The people who come into this thread to sit on a high horse after every event are obnoxious. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's really hard to dislike Ninj

Tell that to half this forum. Half love him, half dislike him.

i never understood the hate for ninja... or even for naded.... they're both super talented and super passionate. Pretty much everything you want from a performer. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

The twins always have bickered, but I think this game for the first time in their careers is where they seem to have a completely different outlook on how to play the game. That's the feeling I have got from them over the course of the last year.

I still go back to that RoyBox, Ninja, Victory team.  I think that team could have been great if they had just stuck it out.  

They are often too slow to press an advantage.  

when they are fast, they are just fast... not fast together.

I think this is where both Ninja and Cam were complementary to RoyBox.  Ninja gets shit on for being overly aggressive sometimes, but he seems to have a better understanding of the necessary speed of the game than RoyBox does. Cam is a great "glue" player that can also be a playmaker as he showed last weekend.

I have said this before about EG and i'm sure i will say it again, but the whole team needs to focus on making the same play together, even if its not the "perfect" play.

That was one person who misread his tweet and was promptly corrected. A slight exaggeration, no?

So Simms is open to criticism and because of this fixed a problem....but it's bad to complain if some people don't agree. How does that logic follow? Who decides on what is necessary?

The people who come into this thread to sit on a high horse after every event are obnoxious. 

It was really fucking dumb, exactly the same confusion and feeling as the second time it happened (in losers bracket for reals) where you're scrambling trying to find a source for the info + further details knowing that shit could potentially be popping off already. If you're going to post something that potentially damaging, please for the love of god take your time to read it properly or post the source with it. The point is, if you say something that isn't true in an atmosphere that is willing to accept and embrace the information you will cause damage. What's funny is that one of the major criticisms of the weekend was the wrong series score / winner being relayed to Simms, essentially chinese whispers coming through lines of production, and yet it's not considered a problem when it's the wrong information taken directly from the source :thinking: .

Read the end of my post, here I'll read it back to you:

"It is AB-SO-LUTELY OK to criticize and push for improvement... But it gets so melodramatic when it isn't necessary."

Simms coming here was very receptive to any and all criticism, as was I assume the rest of the production team. We got casting on the feature station where they basically had to crowbar it into the production, we got a countdown rather than 'wait 5mins m8'. The issues got resolved one way or the other, it really doesn't take post after post of circlejerk dogshit to get the message across. With regards to what is relevant to cry about, just use common sense. No production is perfect, this is a reaction from CSGO Katowice despite them having a much bigger team and also have the venue set up for a week before the Counter-Strike portion even kicked off:

For the last part where essentially feels like you're talking past me, I don't really know what to say other than I hope you don't do this in real life.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have said this before about EG and i'm sure i will say it again, but the whole team needs to focus on making the same play together, even if its not the "perfect" play.

One of my favorite speeches about teamwork comes from the first season of Game of Thrones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcy37C5SN0M

48s (For some reason timestamp linking isn't working here.)

"We still outnumber them."

"Which is the bigger number, 5 or 1?"

"5."

"5." [holds up 5 fingers] "One." [holds up a fist] "One army, a real army, united behind one leader with one purpose."

This tiny exchange between the two says everything that needs to be said about shotcalling and teamwork.  5 players doing 5 different things is not nearly as strong as one unit doing one thing together -- even if it's not the highest percent play, when everyone is working together, it's a lot more likely to succeed than 1 player making a high percent play, another making another play, and 2 working together for the lower percent play.

As long as you're making the plays as a unit, the chance of success goes up regardless...even if they aren't the best plays.  This is especially true in H5, where there is a great deal of higher mechanical difficulty than recent Halos and plenty of execution burden and outplay potential.  (Even if the aiming is super forgiving, people still make mistakes and the movement allows even more opportunities to force mistakes.)

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No production is perfect, but we also aren't AGL. There is always room for improvement, even though we seem to be stuck with the same event issues for the last 6+ months.

There, I saved everyone the next 1-2 pages.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The main reason is because: The DMRs are OP enough as it is. The limited view around you while you're scoped is one of the few balancing factors for the gun that kills in 6 shots anywhere on the body. Seriously, two unshielded shots from the DMR = a kill. You don't need to aim for the head at all. Besides, if you're aiming above the waist, you'll likely get credited with a headshot anyway because of how much the gun compensates.

The DMR is OP.

Recon DMR gives you more information while being equally OP.

We don't need the Recon DMR.

What are your thoughts on the COG DMR then?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

No production is perfect, but we also aren't AGL. There is always room for improvement, even though we seem to be stuck with the same event issues for the last 6+ months.

There, I saved everyone the next 1-2 pages.

What improvements would you want to see from the Gfinity events?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm talking NA, I didn't watch much of EU Halo this season because of time differences sadly.

EU is dank as is don't kid yourself :)

• Upvote (+1) 3