CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Sure its a great service, and they deserve to be at the top. but actually having someone come along to rival twitch would only push the industry further.

That cant happen if every would be service has a defeatest attitude.

also, mlg is a name people will follow.

plus the stream quality was very smooth and i liked that you could se individual stats without leaving the stream

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nobody wants to sign plat kids 

:kappa:

Don't some of the EU teams have orgs though?

• Upvote (+1) 5

also, mlg is a name people will follow.

plus the stream quality was very smooth and i liked that you could se individual stats without leaving the stream

I like the cool detachment when it's not our scene getting the shaft. CoD gets a shit sandwich with exclusivity, nothing more nothing less.

I'd love to see some new orgs in the scene. Will be interesting what we see closer to Worlds. My issue is that all of the good teams are signed by orgs. The top AMs aren't "worth" the branding of say a Fnatic or TSM. We will see though. 

this is the issue

i know some bigger orgs are interested in halo but they aren't interested in attaching their brand to a subpar team

Part of me wonders if this would change if HCS was structured more around open LANs as it was in the past where teams are less defined by being in the 'pro league' capped at 8 teams.    

All you guys talking about UGC St Louis but pretty pumped here for Gfinity London, definitely gonna make sure I get tickets for that once they go up for sale.

I would love to get to Gfinity and am currently exploring costs etc.  The last event they ran at 2016 worlds was an amazing event.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What was the viewership like for the finals of that COD vegas event?

I've heard it's the lowest since MW3.

I'm glad people are realising what a trash game COD is from a competitive standpoint

I like the cool detachment when it's not our scene getting the shaft. CoD gets a shit sandwich with exclusivity, nothing more nothing less.

a new platform like this has the same needs that hcs as a whole needs, advertising. putting the information as far and wide as possible is the only way to launch something like this and make it as successful as possible.

i love twitch and its awesome having a centralized location for games, but that doesn't mean there isn't room in the market for competition. even if cod eats the shit sandwich but it forces twitch to add some of mlg's better features, that could be a win for the viewers.

i think console games are not the way to go when it comes to spearheading an alternate service. you need a large pc game like cs:go or league of legends. halo needs a centralized platform like twtch, but we could see more fragmentation in the future

I would love to get to Gfinity and am currently exploring costs etc.  The last event they ran at 2016 worlds was an amazing event.

I missed EU Finals through birthday commitments so I'd love to do Gfinity London, especially with the fact its so close to me as well (about 20 minutes public transport from university which is great! I finish super early on Fridays too so could potentially do all 3 days)!

I'm glad people are realising what a trash game COD is from a competitive standpoint

:wutface: I feel this is a debatable statement, not because I disagree with you, however there have been times with Competitive CoD where I've thoroughly enjoyed watching it. I think it's definitely past its peak however, with Black Ops 2 competitive being probably one of the best console FPS competition games I've seen bar the Halo games (unless we gonna include 4 :kappa:). CoD is definitely in a bit of a bad stage I feel now with their competitive scene, mostly as well with the recently shit releases of IW and Black Ops 3. I think it also speaks volumes where Aches for Cloud 9 has spent ridiculous hours on MWR, and still manages to still obtain a second place finish.

• Upvote (+1) 1

:wutface: I feel this is a debatable statement, not because I disagree with you, however there have been times with Competitive CoD where I've thoroughly enjoyed watching it. I think it's definitely past its peak however, with Black Ops 2 competitive being probably one of the best console FPS competition games I've seen bar the Halo games (unless we gonna include 4 :kappa:). CoD is definitely in a bit of a bad stage I feel now with their competitive scene, mostly as well with the recently shit releases of IW and Black Ops 3. I think it also speaks volumes where Aches for Cloud 9 has spent ridiculous hours on MWR, and still manages to still obtain a second place finish.

Oh I'm not saying cod doesn't take skill because it definitely does, but not merely as much as Halo.

But yeah, for a game that just came out, and considering it's CoD, the biggest of them all... 36k in he grand final is very poor.

Halo 5 beat that when it released, and is still beating it now, 15 months later. 41k in s2 finals was glorious.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But yeah, for a game that just came out, and considering it's CoD, the biggest of them all... 36k in he grand final is very poor.

Halo 5 beat that when it released, and is still beating it now, 15 months later. 41k in s2 finals was glorious.

I hope that continues to ugc. they deserve it since their last event was the best of season 2 outside of finals

• Upvote (+1) 5

a new platform like this has the same needs that hcs as a whole needs, advertising. putting the information as far and wide as possible is the only way to launch something like this and make it as successful as possible.

i love twitch and its awesome having a centralized location for games, but that doesn't mean there isn't room in the market for competition. even if cod eats the shit sandwich but it forces twitch to add some of mlg's better features, that could be a win for the viewers.

i think console games are not the way to go when it comes to spearheading an alternate service. you need a large pc game like cs:go or league of legends. halo needs a centralized platform like twtch, but we could see more fragmentation in the future

Exclusivity is the exact opposite of spreading it far and wide. MLG.tv isnt a new service as though it's a rising newcomer, it's just a poorer alternative that doesn't have the same potential audience that twitch does. CoD and Overwatch were not on mlg/YouTube this weekend for any other reason than money.

Go and tell the CoD community they'll suffer for the greater good.

Exclusivity is the exact opposite of spreading it far and wide. MLG.tv isnt a new service as though it's a rising newcomer, it's just a poorer alternative that doesn't have the same potential audience that twitch does. CoD and Overwatch were not on mlg/YouTube this weekend for any other reason than money.

So how do I watch the VOD, or if I jump on late start from the beginning with MLG.tv I know I can do that with Twitch and its glorious. I couldn't figure it out, and then the stupid stats things showed me exactly who was in the losers finals and spoiled the tournament for me. I was pretty tilted.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What is everyone's top 5 players that aren't on an official roster right now? So top 5 outside of NV/Optic basically.

Bubu

Eco

sStellur

Contra

Ace

• Upvote (+1) 2

this wasnt a last minute decision, it planned out and agreed upon to use mlg.tv and youtube. with the backing of activision-blizzard and alphabet, this could be a viable service for gaming

and of course its for the money. everyone wants to be able to sustain prize pools and pay staff which need that influx of cash.

i dont really want to argue about this because i love twitch and what it has done for gaming. cod was probably not the right choice for this experiment. but mlg was able to deliver cool features such as in game stats broken down by player. i'd love features like that for hcs but i dont think its possible to have that coded into the twitch halo channel.

as to the bold, i was only talking about advertising the platform as far and wide as possible if it has any hope for success

What is everyone's top 5 players that aren't on an official roster right now? So top 5 outside of NV/Optic basically.

Rayne

Bubu

Eco

Spartan

5th is a toss up with Ace and Shooter

What was the viewership like for the finals of that COD vegas event?

I've heard it's the lowest since MW3.

The viewership was low because it wasn't on twitch (and no powerhouses in the finals but thats nobody's fault)

The viewership was low because it wasn't on twitch (and no powerhouses in the finals but thats nobody's fault)

And because the CoD community believes this to be the worst game in the series so far.

Stats don't lie.

Throughout the entire year of BO3s lifespan, it was in the top 10, sometimes in top 5 of Twitch.

IW has been out for a month and t isn't even in the top 25.

27k finals for cod on mlg

40k faze vs og on mlg

I really do hope 343/ESL integrate the pro point system so that there can be more interest in Halo and we get to see more upsets/redemption. I just want to see Naded on lan, and have the final 7 at worlds be the most accurate representation of NA talent pool and encourage the top 3 from ugc to keep showing up to maintain their seeds, so on until worlds. Players, orgs, tournies/Halo gets more exposure, and fans get great content. I want to see all the possible match ups and have an awesome clashes at worlds which can settle scores from the pre-worlds season. Not only can we see incredible gameplay, but  casuals on twitch can  check in and begin following the scene with more player backstories and maybe even this reality tv show could help. I just want interest to carry over from tourney to tourney, and I don't think the current format can achieve this. 

I want to every NV v OG rematch, NV v new Liquid, Bubu/shooter causing havoc, AMs upsetting higher seeded teams, Naded's return to lan since pax etc. Scenarios that are fair to every competitor and no teams getting screwed because an already qualified team runs into them in a bad bracket. I just don't want a team to miss a great opportunity due to the current format, and unless it's changed, I believe it's inevitable. Conversely, having constant active competition, facilitated by pro points, could generate a positive snowball with increasing crowdfunding/viewership and it can benefit Halo as a whole. As long as 343 can reintroduce this format, stream on twitch Halo, run smooth tourneys, distribute crowdfunding reasonably, have fun competitive settings, I can only see interest growing. 

Sorry if off topic. It's just that we're in a bit of a resurgence, and I don't want comp Halo stagnate and decline again. Pro points just makes too much sense to just ignore like other users have said. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

There's never any reason to offer a competing service other than money. Sure, mlg.tv is an inferior product, but if they play their cards right,they'll push twitch to add some better features.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's never any reason to offer a competing service other than money. Sure, mlg.tv is an inferior product, but if they play their cards right,they'll push twitch to add some better features.

MLG isn't completely inferior. Offers better information via stats, observer cams, etc. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

They won't push twich at all. Contractual exclusivity isn't competing, irrespective of the features of twitch CoD would have still been streamed on MLG. To try and compete against exclusivity is futile.

CoD players have already had a taste of this when they signed contracts and essentially shut the comp scene out of twitch for a year+. There is only so much sympathy you can have for that descision but it shows that what's on offer doesn't matter when contracts are already on the table.

They won't push twich at all. Contractual exclusivity isn't competing, irrespective of the features of twitch CoD would have still been streamed on MLG. To try and compete against exclusivity is futile.

CoD players have already had a taste of this when they signed contracts and essentially shut the comp scene out of twitch for a year+. There is only so much sympathy you can have for that descision but it shows that what's on offer doesn't matter when contracts are already on the table.

Leveraging exclusivity IS a method of competition. Having a high demand product that your competition doesn't have is competition 101.

The chicken and egg scenario is tough to overcome when it comes to viewership.

MLG isn't completely inferior. Offers better information via stats, observer cams, etc.

I agree. It has some nice features. Hopefully it continue to improve and others follow suit.