CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Remember when top teams would host like a weekend or week long LAN before an event with another top team? We'd have series scores of Final Boss vs XiT of like 168-2.

Sure, online gaming has changed the shape of LAN or face to face gaming but I sure miss those bootcamps before events. You'd usually have Final Boss and a practice team or more frequently you'd see like the 4th/5th team host with another team right around their skill level. There was always some sort of drama that happened from these as well. You essentially open up your house to 7 other people for a week of practice and somehow don't murder each other at the end of it all.

Man. Even just Pre-Event LAN's. Before events I had LAN's with like...two or three other teams over to grind out some practice. We'd be in the basement from freaking Friday night til Sunday morning, with short breaks for fresh air, fast food, or 7/11 runs for Red Bull.

Met some of my best friends through those LAN's. First one I think I ever attended, I met bASHERRRRRRRR and Odessa at a later one through him. Fun fact for the old timers and Forum lords from back in the day who dont stay in touch...they're married and living in San Fran now! 

Man. Even just Pre-Event LAN's. Before events I had LAN's with like...two or three other teams over to grind out some practice. We'd be in the basement from freaking Friday night til Sunday morning, with short breaks for fresh air, fast food, or 7/11 runs for Red Bull.

Met some of my best friends through those LAN's. First one I think I ever attended, I met bASHERRRRRRRR and Odessa at a later one through him. Fun fact for the old timers and Forum lords from back in the day who dont stay in touch...they're married and living in San Fran now! 

Odessa +rep would literally give you a green box :ace:

• Upvote (+1) 1

All night lans after getting 3rd rounded at various MLG events.  

One time we used a butter knife from room service to unscrew a giant tube tv from the stand in the adjacent room then played 4v4s, quad-split screen style.  Tourney during the day, hotel room lan at night with 8 sweaty kids crammed into a cheap room all weekend.  

It was glorious.

Halo 5 is the first game where i didn't participate in some kind of LAN the first weekend after launch, because well... you can't.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I dunno if it's just me - but this is awful.

The logo is cropped terribly in both images:

oBn71Cb.png

I also think they straight up coloured in the grey circle at the top to hide the company logo.

AND I think this is the old logo considering @HCS have been tweeting this one: 

ZmUWTM2.png

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Practice quality is definitely at its lowest point IMO. 2010 these guys would get together a week before and crush 4 day 8 team LANs where they walk out of there with 70-90 games played all right next to each other in a LAN environment.

Does anyone think EG is playing as poor as they are now if they get that type of pre tournament practice?

Edit: why are teams completely avoiding this? How does Optic not invite Str8 to the Scuf house to grind out a weekend where everyone has the same goal of grinding out Halo 5 and getting 80-100 games in?

Why doesn't EG bring a team like LG into the EG house and grind a weekend out? That's a million times more beneficial for EG than a scrim a night.

I'm sure it comes down to airfare, but how did these guys get to Mr. P's basement 7 years ago when prizes were much smaller and org salaries didn't exist?

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's the logo from the last Vegas event.

And I'm not surprised this coming from the group that announced their halo squad with a Call of Duty graphic.

MOox6uK.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 6

I also think they straight up coloured in the grey circle at the top to hide the company logo.

that was the fall finals logo

unrelated but the old logo is about a million times better and that's not really saying much tbh

best logo so far was hcs orange county 

It's the logo from the last Vegas event.

And I'm not surprised this coming from the group that announced their halo squad with a Call of Duty graphic.

they announced it like 3 times haha, that was pretty classic

Practice quality is definitely at its lowest point IMO. 2010 these guys would get together a week before and crush 4 day 8 team LANs where they walk out of there with 70-90 games played all right next to each other in a LAN environment.

Does anyone think EG is playing as poor as they are now if they get that type of pre tournament practice?

Edit: why are teams completely avoiding this? How does Optic not invite Str8 to the Scuf house to grind out a weekend where everyone has the same goal of grinding out Halo 5 and getting 80-100 games in?

Why doesn't EG bring a team like LG into the EG house and grind a weekend out? That's a million times more beneficial for EG than a scrim a night.

I'm sure it comes down to airfare, but how did these guys get to Mr. P's basement 7 years ago when prizes were much smaller and org salaries didn't exist?

1. There is no lan capability

2. H5 online is far better than h2 or h3 was, so lanning made more sense then.

3. People criticized those lans back then too. I remember when FB lost an event and people were constantly saying that the land made teams too used for one team's playstyle

• Upvote (+1) 2

1. There is no lan capability

2. H5 online is far better than h2 or h3 was, so lanning made more sense then.

3. People criticized those lans back then too. I remember when FB lost an event and people were constantly saying that the land made teams too used for one team's playstyle

I think the point today is 8 players are now in the same room/building as each other and they are able to play an 11 game series 3-4 times a night and get a feel for what they need to do while being right next to each other over a series a night. I see no downside for any team doing that and it's just not happening anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what happened to crowdfunding? Which events are having a pot bonus boost?

EDIT: Forgot the d  :bman:

• Upvote (+1) 8

So what happened to crowfunding? Which events are having a pot bonus boost?

what do you mean? burbank is being crowdfunded

everyone who attends gets 1 free medium soft drink AND a pretzel

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd just like to see EG not get so frustrated and hectic in the middle of games. Its like they're all yelling and nobody is listening. The best games I've seen out of their last three scrims involve 2gre basically yelling out what to do and where to go. When that falls off its like they just sort of freak out and all attempt to play different games. Like I was watching them scrim the day before yesterday and it all went wrong as soon as 2gre tilted on Fathom CTF and got a little quiet. They just need direction and someone to make the right play calls more than anything on that team I feel like.

They need to stop and all just listen to a few games they're winning and then go back and listen to Coli TS last night or Fathom CTF the night before. 

Odessa +rep would literally give you a green box :ace:

Mountain of Cookies rep status

All night lans after getting 3rd rounded at various MLG events.  

One time we used a butter knife from room service to unscrew a giant tube tv from the stand in the adjacent room then played 4v4s, quad-split screen style.  Tourney during the day, hotel room lan at night with 8 sweaty kids crammed into a cheap room all weekend.  

It was glorious.

Halo 5 is the first game where i didn't participate in some kind of LAN the first weekend after launch, because well... you can't.

I had one of my friends come over for the launch of MCC. We were ready to spend an entire weekend gaming. 

We went to the bar instead. 

what do you mean? burbank is being crowdfunded

everyone who attends gets 1 free medium soft drink,  a pretzel, AND five gold req packs

FTFY

• Upvote (+1) 2

They think they're going to finish open all on Friday?

And once again they will interrupt champ sunday to show us an FFA final no one cares about

If they have a lot of setups and barely have any downtime they can do it.

So skip the stream on Friday and Sunday at 3pm, got it.

-----------------------

Any word on how many AM teams this time around btw?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So what happened to crowdfunding? Which events are having a pot bonus boost?

EDIT: Forgot the d  :bman:

The prize pools at all the events are loans and the crowd funding money is used to pay 343/MS their money back.  :kappa:  

No LAN, so it would still be online.  Plus RoyBox have work during the day and can't grind that much.  They afforded to do this stuff before because they were all kids with no obligations, no bills and with different expectations.

Its a sad state of affairs

I had one of my friends come over for the launch of MCC. We were ready to spend an entire weekend gaming. 

We went to the bar instead. 

Yeah that's pretty much what happened to me.  We were supposed to get together that weekend, but after launch day we cancelled.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When the LAN network was going on I always had a feeling Mr. P was funding a great deal of the player costs like flights. Any confirmation on that?