CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Halo 5 ranking system is the worst system we have ever had. I can rarely tell a difference between platinum diamond and onyx players. Its just put people in random brackets. Sometimes the game thinks I am a high diamond sometimes it thinks I am a low platinum. I always have ended up onyx so the system is busted. 1-50 is best for Halo. I could see a big difference when I played lvl 20 30 or 40 ranked players. In H5 I see gold lvl accounts destroying people because the game put them in the wrong bracket. 

The ranking system is built fine, but there are certain values that 343i sets themselves that are obviously off. The guy that made the ranking system didn't screw it up I can tell you that. And this system is twice as good as the 1-50 system, they just don't have it working the way it should be.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Spray patterns are a decent idea with an awful execution from a clarity standpoint.

Do you know how confusing it is for a spectator to see a player aiming at someone's feet halfway into their clip?

Consistent spray pattern is fine -- but it should be clearly communicated by recoil, not require some absurd out-of-game guide or practice to learn. The HUD should provide that info to the player as they fire by showing the gun/reticule move up.

I thought this forum collectively decided that catering to the 'casual viewer' was a bad idea

tbh once you get spray patterns like in CSGO it's fucking sick to watch. would rather have that than a few casuals who get turned off after watching something they're too lazy to make an effort understanding

edit: although the debate as to whether it belongs in halo is entirely separate

• Upvote (+1) 2

There has to be like at least a full 1 shot cushion though, not one shot. You shouldn't be forced to hit every single shot without fail against the starting auto weapon.

Yeah many ways to tackle that problem. I personally think they should just up the current pistols ROF and red reticle range. But they could also increase its damage so its a 4SK.

If they wanted to get deeper they could retune autos. Maybe keep ARs headshot modifier but reduce its effective range and it's effectiveness against shields, for example. I dunno, I feel like weapons should all have some unique characteristics within the sandbox beyond being weaker/stronger versions of each other. But right now, the Ttks are the biggest issue.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought this forum collectively decided that catering to the 'casual viewer' was a bad idea

tbh once you get spray patterns like in CSGO it's fucking sick to watch. would rather have that than a few casuals who get turned off after watching something they're too lazy to make an effort understanding

This isn't just a 'casual viewer' thing -- it's outright making things clearer to the player.

Spray Pattern, as a concept of "The gun has a specific pattern which it fires when you hold down the trigger" is fine.

But the fact that the gun itself doesn't show that it is doing so is poor clarity in game design.  Tie spray patterns into visible recoil, and they're fine.

I'm a lot more impressed by someone who can keep a reticule effectively still while playing against recoil than someone shooting at another player's feet to hit their upper body, regardless of the explanation.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The ranking system is built fine, but there are certain values that 343i sets themselves that are obviously off. The guy that made the ranking system didn't screw it up I can tell you that. And this system is twice as good as the 1-50 system, they just don't have it working the way it should be.

idk man, what about this ranking system makes is twice as good? I personally have hated this ranking system since its implementation and would love it to go back to 1-50 even more than i would love no radar. I can not see any positives with it and do believe its just broken. I could very well just be ignorant thought. Would love to hear your thoughts.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm not a big fan of seasonal ranking in a game like Halo. Games like LoL or Overwatch have balances and nerfs to characters all the time that can heavily affect the meta. Halo is very different I don't feel like you need to prove you're still as good every 2 months. And with no solo q matchmaking getting champion is just grinding with a team getting easy matchups 9/10 games. The current system is pretty pointles imo

• Upvote (+1) 9

I'm not a big fan of seasonal ranking in a game like Halo. Games like LoL or Overwatch have balances and nerfs to characters all the time that can heavily affect the meta. Halo is very different I don't feel like you need to prove you're still as good every 2 months. And with no solo q matchmaking getting champion is just grinding with a team getting easy matchups 9/10 games. The current system is pretty pointles imo

I like the consistent 1-50, BUT I hated H3's iteration of TrueSkill because it didn't have a sort of "short term memory" -- if you played 3000 games eventually your ranking got to where it basically wouldn't move...so if you sucked dick for the first 1000, it became a lot harder to convince the system you were better than you used to be.

To me that's where the advantage of seasons comes in -- if you improved over the course of the season, then at the start of the next season, you have placements where your ranking can drastically change over the course of a few games before settling back into a slower progression.

I think some kind of balance could be struck between the two systems for a better Halo system.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Halo 5 ranking system is the worst system we have ever had. I can rarely tell a difference between platinum diamond and onyx players. Its just put people in random brackets. Sometimes the game thinks I am a high diamond sometimes it thinks I am a low platinum. I always have ended up onyx so the system is busted. 1-50 is best for Halo. I could see a big difference when I played lvl 20 30 or 40 ranked players. In H5 I see gold lvl accounts destroying people because the game put them in the wrong bracket. Plus I have always wondered how the game calculates a rank. Dose it take into account running the flag or playing the objective? I dont see how it could. There are so many factors that go into winning a game for a team that I dont see how a game judging you could ever work like it should. 

I can tell a HUGE difference between plat/diamond/onyx player.  I wouldn't put much thought into where you are placed... I've never had an issue solo playing to at least mid onyx. If anything capping skill at "50" rather than a changing elo ranking makes 50 more arbitrary than everything

• Upvote (+1) 5

I like the consistent 1-50, BUT I hated H3's iteration of TrueSkill because it didn't have a sort of "short term memory" -- if you played 3000 games eventually your ranking got to where it basically wouldn't move...so if you sucked dick for the first 1000, it became a lot harder to convince the system you were better than you used to be.

To me that's where the advantage of seasons comes in -- if you improved over the course of the season, then at the start of the next season, you have placements where your ranking can drastically change over the course of a few games before settling back into a slower progression.

I think some kind of balance could be struck between the two systems for a better Halo system.

Seasonal 1-50? Im not really into the seasonal resets but would snap take this over the ranking system implemented now. This seems like a good compromise. Not that i believe this is something 343 will spend anytime on improving anyways. Seems like it would be quite low on the "to do' list

Seasonal 1-50? Im not really into the seasonal resets but would snap take this over the ranking system implemented now. This seems like a good compromise. Not that i believe this is something 343 will spend anytime on improving anyways. Seems like it would be quite low on the "to do' list

A seasonal 1-50 would be horrible, at least the current system retains where you are even if a cap is assigned. 

But in Halo at least your past ranking is like 99% of how you get ranked. I've lost like 8 of my 10 placements with shit stats and still gotten Onyx 1700 before. If they are so set on this seasonal ranking then make it like 3 games to get ranked after you've done it before.

A seasonal 1-50 would be horrible, at least the current system retains where you are even if a cap is assigned. 

what do you mean it retains where you are? You cant get ranked any lower than your last seasonal rank after the  placement matches? Why would a 1-50 seasonal ranking be worse? 

what do you mean it retains where you are? You cant get ranked any lower than your last seasonal rank after the  placement matches? Why would a 1-50 seasonal ranking be worse? 

You barely move from season to season, as far as your CSR goes.

Didnt know that. That makes me hate this ranking system even more. What is point of placement matches then? or am i misunderstanding this?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Current system is absolute garbage. Placements on a new account are highly inaccurate and if on old account never changes from previous season end now matter how you do, except it's capped at 1700. I'd prefer 1-50 big time, but if it's going to be csr it needs massive work. Reach's system was far better than this even. Even worse that once you're decent enough, it's just quantity over quality anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's pretty obvious from most of these statements that a lot of you don't know the difference between the ranking system and the matchmaking system of how the values are set.

The game will never be intelligent enough to judge your play-style and contribution to the team and accurately rank you. 1-50 Start from the bottom and if you are good you make it to the top. Simple and accurate. I wouldn't even mind if they reset it every few months. 

Starting everybody at rank 1 is just inefficient. Takes too many games to place you where you need to be. Also the 1-50 ranking system does have rank lock. Audley described it perfectly. The game should never place you higher than the worst rank in plat though. Placing people in onyx after 10 games is incredibly stupid. Making Champion also shouldn't take 3200 elo, should be closer to 2k. To be clear also I speaking to the format of the ranking system, not the way it currently functions. Imagine 1-50 but your first 10 games any wins add 5 to your rank and any losses take away 5 with a max rank of 40. It would get you to where you need to be so much faster.

idk man, what about this ranking system makes is twice as good? I personally have hated this ranking system since its implementation and would love it to go back to 1-50 even more than i would love no radar. I can not see any positives with it and do believe its just broken. I could very well just be ignorant thought. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I should say this has much more potential than the 1-50 ranking. 1-50 is easier to implement, but doesn't work nearly as well as this ranking system when it's tuned right. Right now the tuning isn't where it needs to be at all.

I can agree with this sentiment, but the ranking system structure doesn't need to have seasons. I'd say once a year reset, if that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the concept of the ranking system (Bronze -> Silver -> Gold -> Platinum -> Diamond -> Onyx -> Champ) is fine, just the method of categorization and placement of players is crap. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The game will never be intelligent enough to judge your play-style and contribution to the team and accurately rank you. 1-50 Start from the bottom and if you are good you make it to the top. Simple and accurate. I wouldn't even mind if they reset it every few months. 

I feel like if the hidden MMR that carries over season to season were removed, it would be better as well. You should be ranked solely on how you are currently performing, not on your performance last season 3 months ago.

I feel like if the hidden MMR that carries over season to season were removed, it would be better as well. You should be ranked solely on how you are currently performing, not on your performance last season 3 months ago.

League of Legends does "soft rebounding" to MMR at the end of each season, pulling everyone back toward the middle, but still keeps the top on top and the bottom on the bottom.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think the concept of the ranking system (Bronze -> Silver -> Gold -> Platinum -> Diamond -> Onyx -> Champ) is fine, just the method of categorization and placement of players is crap. 

Right. The methods are even fine though. The issue is that the values that they use with those methods are off. You shouldn't be able to place higher than plat for example.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The current ranking system isnt rewarding at all. Onyx is way too easy and champion is for people who play in teams of 4 constantly. I remember the awesome feeling of getting my first 50 in H3. Champion is pointless when you have legit diamond players subbing to every pro, just to get carried to champ.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2