CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I truly think I'm the only one who appreciates Halo finally having an Assault Rifle worth using.  There are issues with Autos, specifically the AR, but I think it has way more to do with radar abuse and spawning with it then the actual gun itself being "overpowered".  I love that it can actually kill someone at more than a couple feet away for a change and I don't want it to regress to what the gun used to be.

Yeah, I wouldn't really care that much if they put only one on a map. Spawning with it just cheapens the game so much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, I wouldn't really care that much if they put only one on a map. Spawning with it just cheapens the game so much.

This.

Interestingly the SR has gone from being the most broken auto, to the least since they reclassified it as tier 2. Only one per map at a time placed in a neutral, non power position.

All autos are still OP, but at least the SR has been classified correctly given its power.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That is something I could get behind too. I just personally think that whenever we as a community don't like something we immediately cry and ask for it to be removed. Instead we should be making compromises like no AR starts but they are on the map, or radars but only when they are using spartan abilities. This keeps the core ideas of the new game, but make it more competitive at the same time. 

The cutie fake blonde was the only reason that optic halo vlog was watchable.

When is the FPL LAN?

In the HWC thread, the summer thread, the fall thread, and this one. The  only time I have ever seen woman mentioned is in a context like this. Like, apparently they only exist except to be fake or something.

I truly think I'm the only one who appreciates Halo finally having an Assault Rifle worth using.  There are issues with Autos, specifically the AR, but I think it has way more to do with radar abuse and spawning with it then the actual gun itself being "overpowered".  I love that it can actually kill someone at more than a couple feet away for a change and I don't want it to regress to what the gun used to be.  

You aren't. I firmly believe the only major change left that needs to be made is the removal of radar. Halo 5's sound design is good enough to the point where I can even hear the direction of reloads during a firefight.

I like the balance of the sandbox right now. Aside from minor changes to the setups of maps I think it's great. And I don't want auto's to be nerf'd to death to suit some people when removing radar fixes IMO the biggest problems with them.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I also believe no radar will have an impact on the auto spam. When players see a blip on their radar, they have a habit of switching to their AR/SMG/SR immediately. But if both players are unaware of each other and happen to cross paths, they're more likely to duke it out with their pistols because they had no time to react and switch weapons beforehand.

That is something I could get behind too. I just personally think that whenever we as a community don't like something we immediately cry and ask for it to be removed. Instead we should be making compromises like no AR starts but they are on the map, or radars but only when they are using spartan abilities. This keeps the core ideas of the new game, but make it more competitive at the same time. 

I agree that compromise is usually the best option but in this case it really isn't. 

I also totally understand how we as a community may seem like we cry a lot, but look at what the competitive Halo community has had to deal with for the last 5+ years. If you keep dumping shit onto us, yea we're going to cry when obvious changes will make the game more competitive. Certain arguments I get like power weapons amount and ammo count, but things like spawning with autos and radar only hinder a game from being played at its competitive best. This isn't an opinion, this is fact.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Radar gives free information not earned by communication, callouts, and positioning. Considering H5 is a very team focused game the fact I can jump into MM with no mic and play with others without mics and win more than lose, shouldn't be possible. However, I'm constantly awarded free information by simply looking at the lower left of my screen. It actually upsets me when I catch myself only looking at my radar and pick up that sweet crouching double kill with the AR. 

This post probably sounded more sour than I meant it, but honestly (and it's been said before) everything with 343 is one step forward, two steps backward. Keeping radar and AR spawns might not techinically be a step backwards, but it certainly is 343 tripping themselves over a glorious finish line they created when they announced what 2017 has to offer. 

All any of us on here want to see is Halo at the highest and most competitive level, this is the first time I've ever considered that aspect of Halo esports to be in jeopardy. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

In the HWC thread, the summer thread, the fall thread, and this one. The  only time I have ever seen woman mentioned is in a context like this. Like, apparently they only exist except to be fake or something.

PlasmaCasterPapi is either not a good person, or simply a troll.

Ignore him.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Pls, we really need to have no radar back in the competitive settings. Been playing the test settings (new versions everytime) for the last two days and it is so much fun with no radar. Fun is the thing I want. Radar isn't fun for me. I feel I can finally outplay people with no radar. Not just outshooting them. Pls 343i make it happen.  :) @@ske7ch @@GH057ayame @@Tashi

I can see what you're saying about compromising but I disagree with the Spartan abilities radar as I think it would be less competitive than no radar and it would be more confusing to casual players than full radar or no radar. To me, that wouldn't be a good compromise.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So im pretty confused as to seeding and placements. I was under the impression that the lan in st louis would determine the seeding for worlds. Will last season's placing just determine the seeding for the ugc bracket or just for the online tourney?

I can see what you're saying about compromising but I disagree with the Spartan abilities radar as I think it would be less competitive than no radar and it would be more confusing to casual players than full radar or no radar. To me, that wouldn't be a good compromise.

I don't think it would be too hard for casuals to figure out. Call of Duty uses a similar style of radar when a UAV isn't activated. People only show up on the map when shooting or thrust jumping. The same idea can go for only showing up when spartan abilities are being used. 343 would still get their radar but it would decrease the amount of sprinting and thrusting and encourage more walking.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just got an incredible idea.

Remove AR primaries, and place 1-2 of them on the map.

This way, no one can complain about less "variety" since they're still on the map. And we can even say that weapon variety has to be earned through map control.

• Upvote (+1) 3

But bro I'm a millennial I shouldn't have to earn anything  :kappa:

If I could +rep this 10,000 times, I would.

• Upvote (+1) 3

But bro I'm a millennial I shouldn't have to earn anything  :kappa:

-Patch Notes Jan. 9th 2017

*Changed an incidence of the word "earn" in prior patch notes to "attain".

• Upvote (+1) 5

I just got an incredible idea.

Remove AR primaries, and place 1-2 of them on the map.

This way, no one can complain about less "variety" since they're still on the map. And we can even say that weapon variety has to be earned through map control.

Pistols serve a very specific purpose, as does the AR. Remove one and you handcuff the player at either range or at close range. Who wants to see up close whirlwind pistol fights? 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 21

I'm sorry but was this post a joke?

It's an unpopular opinion here, but I think both weapons create more interesting situations than just having a BR. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Pistols serve a very specific purpose, as does the AR. Remove one and you handcuff the player at either range or at close range. Who wants to see up close whirlwind pistol fights?

I think a "whirlwind" close range pistol fight is an aiming issue not a weapon issue.

The thing is, the AR does NOT serve a very specific purpose. Its got longer range than an auto should, does bonus headshot damage like 1/2 a precision weapon and is paired with random spread that sometimes awards headshots and sometimes doesnt regardless of accuracy.

If it had a consistently patterned spread, was only effective at close range and didnt do bonus headshot damage people wouldnt have as much of a problem with it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't think it would be too hard for casuals to figure out. Call of Duty uses a similar style of radar when a UAV isn't activated. People only show up on the map when shooting or thrust jumping. The same idea can go for only showing up when spartan abilities are being used. 343 would still get their radar but it would decrease the amount of sprinting and thrusting and encourage more walking.

You could be right about the casual players. It would be a big change from what halo has done for years with radar, though, so I still think they might be confused for a while.

On the competitive side, I just don't see the need to neuter the movement options that the game offers by giving the opponent free information.

OT, but does anyone have a link to a video/writeup that explains what makes Halo CE so competitively great? I have a friend that doesn't buy it.

I've mentioned to him the map design, the weapon sandbox, melee and strafing mechanics, and spawn prediction, but I'm kind of shit at explaining it well.   

Kind of something like @@MultiLockOn's map design videos but about the game as a whole. 

This isn't really an argument because I can say that about anything.

"Shotgun starts are good because the shotgun serves a very specific purpose. Who wants to see up close whirlwind pistol fights?".

the real question is, what does a weapon that is incredibly easy to use and very strong at close range add to the competitive settings? If your answer is, "it fits the close range weapon role", that's circular logic.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

OT, but does anyone have a link to a video/writeup that explains what makes Halo CE so competitively great? I have a friend that doesn't buy it.

I've mentioned to him the map design, the weapon sandbox, melee and strafing mechanics, and spawn prediction, but I'm kind of shit at explaining it well.

Just have him watch CE matches between the best players in the world and he'll understand. I think the recent beach lan was uploaded to YT.