CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

What the fuck happened to Envy between fall finals and now they've been playing noticeably worse the what they used to.

I mean I'm glad that there's a month between now and the next LAN so hopefully they can there shit sorted also they really need an analyst so they can figure out how to play truth properly.

What would an analyst be able to tell anyone on that team they don't already know? At that level of Halo I don't really understand what value an 'analyst' really adds (unless they're an in-game coach?)

Here is my view on EG right now....

Contra is right, they need to just play more.  Maybe they are playing for hours a day that we dont see but i dont think so (Halo 5 arena doesnt either).

It looks like they get on, play a few games in MM to warm up, then go full on tilt mode during scrims, then call it a night.

I would like to see them STOP SCRIMMING for a short while.  Scrims are 100% effort which they have been losing badly recently and going at each other's throats. Its not productive and they are not building any kind of chemistry or having fun.

I would like to see them take a break from scrimming and just play MM as a 4some for a few hours a day and only focus on basically valuing each other's lives.  Just play together at 80% effort and get multiple games in of the same gametype everyday even if the competition isn't the best.  Get their chemistry up, focus on strategy and try to execute said strategy multiple times per game instead of always being trapped in spawns and just trying to stay alive like they are now.  

• Upvote (+1) 4

They do need to play more, but i can see where the twins are coming from they both have full time jobs and lunch is married. But sadly if they want to compete for the top spot at worlds the only things that matters is the grind.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What the fuck happened to Envy between fall finals and now they've been playing noticeably worse the what they used to.

I mean I'm glad that there's a month between now and the next LAN so hopefully they can there shit sorted also they really need an analyst so they can figure out how to play truth properly.

FALL Finals was a Fluke.
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I personally believe they are being carried. Ninja and Stellur Got them out of trouble in season 2.

Snipedown: Carried hard in season 1 .

They did have great team mates.  Contra/Devon don't try online because they're immature. Don't pretend that Contra and Devon are top players they haven't made top 4 since last worlds with Bubu and Huke. What I'm saying is don't completely blame Roybox because this is the placing Devon and Contra are used to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

For those who saw that clip and didn't watch the rest of the stream afterwards, Jason/Justin/I have essentially been teaming for 8 years and obviously trying to have a positive attitude while consistently performing the worst we ever have online makes each of us extremely frustrated. We're all super competitive and clearly were mad about a dozen other things after that series ended that have all added up over weeks and we took out those frustrations by arguing with each other over something that didn't actually matter. Things were literally back to normal a few minutes later and we kept watching film for another hour. Just saying, there's not much to read into and sometimes arguments happen, we're just trying to improve Beyond%20Smiley.png

So are you telling me we aren't going to see Jason "Lunchbox" Brown vs Ryan "Towey" Towey at Wrestlemania this year? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

They do need to play more, but i can see where the twins are coming from they both have full time jobs and lunch is married. But sadly if they want to compete for the top spot at worlds the only things that matters is the grind.

idk i disagree with this. Yes grinding can help a lot with your shot and individual skill i suppose, but its like any other sport.  To get real practice in you need to do the same things over and over and over.  Scrimming 5 times a week and only playing each gametype once per night is not going to do it.  If you look at the top teams, all those guys play together a lot outside of scrims. That's how you build chemistry and camaraderie and get meaningful reps even if they aren't at 100% effort.  Its not about just playing, but playing with the people that matter.

I think that the current practice regimen of Halo pros is flawed.  And honestly I don't see the benefit of full, 13 games series scrims more than a couple times a week.  Here are some other ideas:  

- Grinding through MM for 6 hours as a team one day a week, just for fun and chemistry building.  

- use an AM team as a scout team and play short games, multiple times in a row (ie.  Flag to 1 cap, Strongholds to 50 points, slayer to 20 kills etc). that way you can get short bursts of repeated practice of a specific things.

- setup, multiple "mock series" against teams.  Instead of just playing every gametype in a row in no particular order, play in the OB/S/OB/OB/S patter like you would at a tourney, against multiple teams.

- Structured film review, led by a coach.   this should be part of a coaches job, and maybe it already is, but you need that 3rd party to point out where the problems are and how to correct them.  I think that players correcting players can lead to animosity that shows up in-game.  This should be followed by immediately playing out that scenario as a dry run. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

What? They lost that scrim pretty handily, but they stomped Liquid a few times prior to that and had generally been steamrolling a lot of teams.

From an extremely uninformed standpoint of someone who isn't close to anyone on the squad, it's pretty obvious that Snipedown and Mikwen don't get along very well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Don't pretend that Contra and Devon are top players they haven't made top 4 since last worlds with Bubu and Huke.

Contra and Devon got 3rd at Las Vegas with Falcated and Str8 Sick

• Upvote (+1) 6

For those who saw that clip and didn't watch the rest of the stream afterwards, Jason/Justin/I have essentially been teaming for 8 years and obviously trying to have a positive attitude while consistently performing the worst we ever have online makes each of us extremely frustrated. We're all super competitive and clearly were mad about a dozen other things after that series ended that have all added up over weeks and we took out those frustrations by arguing with each other over something that didn't actually matter. Things were literally back to normal a few minutes later and we kept watching film for another hour. Just saying, there's not much to read into and sometimes arguments happen, we're just trying to improve Beyond%20Smiley.png

Care to comment on what would have happened if Roy and Lunch didn't stay on EG?

Would EG have left the scene?

idk i disagree with this. Yes grinding can help a lot with your shot and individual skill i suppose, but its like any other sport. To get real practice in you need to do the same things over and over and over. Scrimming 5 times a week and only playing each gametype once per night is not going to do it. If you look at the top teams, all those guys play together a lot outside of scrims. That's how you build chemistry and camaraderie and get meaningful reps even if they aren't at 100% effort. Its not about just playing, but playing with the people that matter.

I think that the current practice regimen of Halo pros is flawed. And honestly I don't see the benefit of full, 13 games series scrims more than a couple times a week. Here are some other ideas:

- Grinding through MM for 6 hours as a team one day a week, just for fun and chemistry building.

- use an AM team as a scout team and play short games, multiple times in a row (ie. Flag to 1 cap, Strongholds to 50 points, slayer to 20 kills etc). that way you can get short bursts of repeated practice of a specific things.

- setup, multiple "mock series" against teams. Instead of just playing every gametype in a row in no particular order, play in the OB/S/OB/OB/S patter like you would at a tourney, against multiple teams.

- Structured film review, led by a coach. this should be part of a coaches job, and maybe it already is, but you need that 3rd party to point out where the problems are and how to correct them. I think that players correcting players can lead to animosity that shows up in-game. This should be followed by immediately playing out that scenario as a dry run.

lol, this is Halo bro we are barely an Esport
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Yeah, we know, but it's fun to speculate  :simms:

Contra grinds the shit outta this game idk why you guys are saying he never plays lol. Roy and Lunch barely touch the game, him being upset is 100% understandable. You can't just be a worse team AND play less than other teams. You're just gonna keep getting shit on.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't think they need to practice 7 nights a week to play at a pro level but maybe they should give an exception for worlds. It's big money and you would want to try and qualify and then get the best place you can get so you get the most out of the prize pot. If your competition are on every night they are going to lag behind.

I don't hold it agaisnt roybox if they don't want to play every night, it's up to them what they value more but for me it would be worth it to make sacrifices to practice for worlds.

As a tired 29 year old i couldnt imagine having to put in the time to be great at halo plus outside responsibilities. For roy and lunch, it has to be hard to keep playing a game they dont seem to enjoy for hours a night when they have work/school/family as well. It seems like its getting to the point to where the easy money isnt worth playing a game they dont like and sacrificing time theyd rather put into something else they value more

Is it still free/easy money if you factor/consider the time put into the game to be/stay at their level? I bet if you broke it down the $/hr would be pretty terrible. (Less so the past coupe of years but probably still true to a degree outside the top end).

For those that have jobs it can just be/probably is just treated as a passion project/hobby. Halo in my eyes has always been a hobby and thats mostly true still. This probably correlates with your post btw.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They've had some great teammates, I won't disagree with you. But I don't believe you can truly carry in top level halo.

Besides, at the last LAN (where they placed well) lunchbox was going off (I'm going from memory here so maybe I'm being selective)

There are definitely other pros who are better than them now. And I'm not sure they'll win again before they retire. But they're still capable of placing well.

Tell that to all the @@Cratos haters.

• Upvote (+1) 3

For god sake tibey said it on the last pit episode.

They are the problem.

They are anchors

I did not say "Roy and Lunchbox are the problem on EG."

I said "EG (as a team) are behind on their understanding of Halo 5" and need to have "an epiphany" on how to play in order to be on the same level as the teams above them.

they really need an analyst so they can figure out how to play truth properly.

Elumnite already fills this role for them.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I did not say "Roy and Lunchbox are the problem on EG."

I said "EG (as a team) are behind on their understanding of Halo 5" and need to have "an epiphany" on how to play in order to be on the same level as the teams above them.

Granted 

What I took from that is that the twins and towey are behind.

As they are the core of that team, they have been their since the beginning.