CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Currently at school and I'm about an hour away from Burbank.  With the quality of the venue being what it is i'd rather enjoy the tournament gameplay from home.  That will be the only good part about the event anyway.

Edit: I should pay more attention in class, my sentence was incoherent.

Gameplay is sure to be amazing, can't wait to watch it... from my home, about 45 minutes away.

Also, starting to actually consider the LAN party thing legitimately tbh...

snip

Thanks a lot for the response @@Timo, this kind of transparency is all that we ask.

It's awesome to hear that you guys are working to make the studios look great specifically for Worlds.

However, here's the problem I have with what I just read:

I'd assume ESL knew for at least a year that HWC 2017 was gonna happen, probably even more. Yet you stated that locations were scouted after fall finals, 4 months before the event was actually supposed to happen. Why start so late when an event so big and important is fast approaching. It seems very apparent that this was kind of slopped together in this context. As it stands now, I have no reason to attend the event despite living less than an hour away. Instead, I'm now looking forward to the Dreamhack events and possible the next HWC. Just saying, it seems so last second, which is the last thing an event like this needs.

Can't wait to watch the great gameplay. Also happy to see the changes coming after  :)

• Upvote (+1) 3

I could see it taking a year off with pre-release Halo 6 events and stuff.

I can't believe they did so much with pre-release MCC events and so little with Halo 5.

Judging by the schedule, things are pretty questionable next year.

The Fall Finals at Dreamhack Denver are on October 20-22, a full month and a half earlier than 2016's Fall Finals. 

This is important because every mainline Halo releases after 3 years, the next being 2018. Chances are we'll get a H6 beta during December which would kinda force a break before Worlds. Worlds would have to be pushed back a couple months if it's going to happen.

You couldn't have just typed that out yesterday?

kappa

For real though, thank you for letting us know the backstory. I appreciate it. Sincerely I do.

Judging by the schedule, things are pretty questionable next year.

The Fall Finals at Dreamhack Denver are on October 20-22, a full month and a half earlier than 2016's Fall Finals. 

This is important because every mainline Halo releases after 3 years, the next being 2018. Chances are we'll get a H6 beta during December which would kinda force a break before Worlds. Worlds would have to be pushed back a couple months if it's going to happen.

Or H3A. :kappa: but no  :kappa:

What we hear at E3 should tell us a lot more about Halo over the next year and a half.

On another note, I appreciate a little more transparency from ESL, though part of me knows it will be short lived. At this point I fully expect ESL/343 to do something else that is completely contrary to everything the community is asking for within a month or two.

Specifically talking about the content of Timo's post, this is about what I expected: the delayed announcement was simply a result of not yet knowing what the plan was. I also think we as a community should recognize and hold ESL accountable for the reason behind this, as there are really only two options. The first is that there were venues available, but they were too costly in the opinion of ESL. Think what you will about this, but I do not believe this reflects well on how 343/ESL value their competitive community. The second and more likely reasoning behind this is that ESL waited too long to put their full effort behind getting a good venue. Convention centers across the country start booking their facilities years in advance in some cases. Again, think what you will, but I think either of these options suggest ESL needs to start taking planning these events more seriously.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So just bare with my crazy thought process and logic here for a bit please.

If budget was an issue for the location, why not approach 343 or Microsoft themselves for extra funding to put on the HWC in a more centralised location?

I know Colombus and Halo goes in proxy with MLG and i feel like ESL would avoid that, but come on. The biggest Halo tournament of the year going back to its "home"? That stuff writes its own subtext.

Larger viewing experience? Well for one, you can generate more sales if you have more places to put butts. I know we couldnt fill out 2-5k strong theater but im sure we could double what weve been given.

Remember, and this is where my logic goes to jump off a cliff, due to "unified" settings, any fans of this games arena multiplayer are in a sense fans of our esport even in a casual sense and if they could just pop in and have a look without busting the bank, well, more the merrier right?

Dont get me wrong. I appreciate Timo coming in and saying what he did. I love that Halo has the ability to hold theae kind of tournaments. But im just tired of always wanting just that little bit more for Halo. I feel like this tournament at the bare minimum deserves it.

"Hey guys, let's attend this live event so we can watch the games on a stream from another room."

I hate being negative when you're willing to come here and give so much info, but this is really the solution?

Accidental neg.

I agree with you

https://twitter.com/RLCS/status/829026893168926720

I'm not a fan of off-topic posts from other eSports but god damn I don't even play Rocket League too frequently and this is nutty. Fantastic organization and advertisement

Anyone else feel like Halo being mostly an NA esport hurts it. Like there are still lots of players in other regions, but I feel casual viewers from other countries are less likely to tune in if teams from their country are not there/playing as much.

It is also less likely for major events in Halo to occur outside of NA unlike the RL tweet showing a final in Amsterdam. That most likely won't happen in halo

MLG used to sell out events to 256 TEAMS and 343 Industries is hoping to have 300 GUESTS attend the Halo World Championship, incredible.

Back then millions played Halo. Halo was the most played game in the Xbox.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I did post that we would most likely follow past seasons and hold a Qualification Tournament after the World Finals and before the Summer 2017 season. (granted it was dozens of pages ago so very understandable if it was missed).

But it would have to be a completely open event, otherwise it wouldn't be fair
  • Upvote (+1) 2

To clarify, the day after Fall Finals wasn't when we first started looking at locations. Just one of the times. Truthfully, me trying to get brownie points from you guys for jumping on a plane the day after the event. ;)

I don't get it... that's... transparency...

This is a new experience.

• Upvote (+1) 5

HkYrWAM.jpg

How has nobody mentioned that they have a Supercuts? We're about to see some lit dews. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

MLG used to sell out events to 256 TEAMS and 343 Industries is hoping to have 300 GUESTS attend the Halo World Championship, incredible.

its easy to say you sold all your passes when there's only a handful. i know people say we couldnt sell 2k passes, but there is no reason to have halo regress this far. from mlg to here. i dont expect madison square, but a convention center with 1k-2k should be reasonable

Anyone else feel like Halo being mostly an NA esport hurts it. Like there are still lots of players in other regions, but I feel casual viewers from other countries are less likely to tune in if teams from their country are not there/playing as much.

It is also less likely for major events in Halo to occur outside of NA unlike the RL tweet showing a final in Amsterdam. That most likely won't happen in halo

there are 400 million people in this country. i dont think it necessarily hurts halo to be NA majority. we wont hav e300k viewers on twitch but 50k + viewers per lan shouldnt be out of the question

• Upvote (+1) 2

But it would have to be a completely open event, otherwise it wouldn't be fair

Not true. The rule book mentions that only teams with a minimum of two pros from the previous season of pro league would be able to compete for an open pro league spot if I read correctly. So Allegiance and Inconceivable...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not true. The rule book mentions that only teams with a minimum of two pros from the previous season of pro league would be able to compete for an open pro league spot if I read correctly. So Allegiance and Inconceivable...

That is such horseshit and isn't fair.

If anything they should have an online tourney to get the top4 teams, then bring those 4 to Burbank for a tourney

To clarify, the day after Fall Finals wasn't when we first started looking at locations. Just one of the times. Truthfully, me trying to get brownie points from you guys for jumping on a plane the day after the event. ;)

tbh it makes you look worse if you flew out the day after and came up with absolutely nothing 2 months later

b109337ee61f877cfc1e37b3831db486.gif

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 2