CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

i saw that too but i wasn't sure what to make of it

it seems like they are gonna broadcast matches outside on tv screens because they are having "halofest" or whatever 

Yes, we'll have an area outside where we'll be showing the matches from both streams. 

Got it. That kinda completely went over my head there first. 

Oh wow lol. 

Well if you see the negs on your post assume people were under the impression you were playing stupid to what was going on.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok but why Burbank instead of larger venue like last year?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I want to say that for Fall Finals we more or less hit 20-25 minutes of downtime between matches, right? 

less than 20-25 minutes means no time for crumpets :wutface:  

But I think the 45 minutes was in reverence to ugc production not esl

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am really looking forward to the event that Gfinity is putting on. However, need to realize that it is not in the stadium itself, but the Great Hall (you can check the Wembley website for photos). I am sure it'll be a great event. :)

You have to be trolling, right? You can't really be so oblivious.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Yes, we'll have an area outside where we'll be showing the matches from both streams. 

Can you say how many tickets will be up for sale tomorrow?

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's painfully obvious that this event has been downsized in pretty much all aspects by 343 firstly was the # of teams dropping, then having inferior orgs hosting regionals instead of MLG, now the venue has been reduced to something that holds like 200 people.

This years worlds is literally a downgrade in ALL aspects aside from having a higher level of competition and double elim in comparison to last year we should be improving but instead it's got worse.

• Upvote (+1) 3

?

Why....... Why Burbank? What was the reason? Why not Columbus or Orlando or Dallas. Those are cities that would give a much much bigger turnout spectator wise. Also those are cities pros and fans like to go to because there are more things to do and there are actually Fans of Halo in those areas, Especially Columbus, Ohio. 

what pisses me off the most is when we get called out as toxic or @@Tsquared uses stream time to talk about how the pros and community need to do more.

let that sink in for a minute because this was said on stream at one of the worst produced events we've had at ugc 2017. for all the fuck ups and missteps with everyone involved in halo esports, they have the nerve to tell us to do more and it will be better. i dont know where to turn and shout to these fuckers that this "toxic" community is what keeps competitive halo alive. it certainly isn't r/halo where they love to go but right fucking here. and we want them to succeed. we offer free advice and watch and attend and buy the merch. yet for all the work we do and tournaments we host, 343 just shows us their asshole and asks us to take a whiff.

they are lucky to have us. they are lucky that we havent just gone elsewhere. an entire forum for months has been begging for a different location, yet they announce burbank and a food truck like its a gift from the gods. i dont know of a bigger screw you than that.

i could write a dissertation on this but no one from 343 would ever read it and it would only make me angry

I understand Tsquared's perspective of working hard and forging your own path when you're passionate about something. That's all great. What I'm not sure that Tsquared understands is that

1. When he was saving pennies and sleeping on hotel floors the game was worth being passionate about and

2. Competitive Halo was in its infancy.

Regarding #1, The game being good at its core is the most important thing for its competitive popularity. All the YouTube videos in the world can only do so much when the game so clearly represents a step backwards from previous titles. The community was willing to save pennies and sleep on hotel floors for Halo 1/2/3 because they were great and exciting games. Almost nobody gets excited about Crouching Player Hidden AR.

Regarding #2, it makes more sense that the players shouldered more of the burden in the early days when competitive Halo was just starting. It wasn't proven at that time to have a big market and it's understandable that a company wouldn't want to invest effort in an unknown. What doesn't make sense is the way 343 has handled competitive Halo years later after seeing "esports" get big. Even less competitive titles like call of duty saw over 100000 viewers when Black Ops 2 was tailored at some level to be competitive. At a certain point, it's just obvious that good developer support is way more important than what the players do.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I want to say that for Fall Finals we more or less hit 20-25 minutes of downtime between matches, right? 

I am really looking forward to the event that Gfinity is putting on. However, need to realize that it is not in the stadium itself, but the Great Hall (you can check the Wembley website for photos). I am sure it'll be a great event. :)

What was the decision making process / overall strategy of placing the Halo $1MM World Championship Event at the ESL Burbank Location?

I think we would all appreciate some insight. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's painfully obvious that this event has been downsized in pretty much all aspects by 343 firstly was the # of teams dropping, then having inferior orgs hosting regionals instead of MLG, now the venue has been reduced to something that holds like 200 people.

This years worlds is literally a downgrade in ALL aspects aside from having a higher level of competition and double elim in comparison to last year we should be improving but instead it's got worse.

It's to be expected since first worlds was a marketing campaign from microsoft to help halo in its release year.

Now they don't care as much so less resources. Expect big shows of support when the next game is released and then for things to degrade unless halo esports become super successful.

@@Timo

You have straight forward questions you have 24hours before people get sour about not getting some of their friendly questions answered.

We don't want to write you off.

You can easily say, I need to make sure none of the stuff I say is under NDA or say you can't speak about it.

If you can't communicate then we have a problem. Ten times worse of a problem than you just saying stuff is under NDA.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Fuck Worlds and just go support Halo at Dreamhack.

Let's be completely honest: 8 month heads up, hundreds if not thousands of spectator passes (already on sale), an open event, more central to the US population, and alongside events like CS and Hearthstone. Worlds was an afterthought. This event is THE huge chance for Halo. 

With 10-20 times the seats of the Burbank facility.

• Upvote (+1) 1

that studio is literally the size of my bedroom. Jesus

There is extra seating at Food Truck Alley this year

LMAO

Competitive Halo 5 is fun but could be fucking great with some simple changes. HCS is a complete mess but could be great with some simple changes.

Can someone please explain the reasoning behind 343 decisions?

Don't be so mean. These are calculated decisions made only after carefully considering the feedback of the players and fans.

i love how decisions like this are made even though people like vivi and timo say they read the forums ever day and they take our opinion seriously

• Upvote (+1) 3

Less teams, smaller prizepool, therefore we can't get bigger venue. LOGIC PEOPLE. We should by happy the venue isn't actually smaller right ?

• Upvote (+1) 2