CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

They should hand the HCS twitter account over to someone in the community who knows whats going on and will be happy to tweet about it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That said, the venue choice is yet another lazy decision and does not reflect a World Championship. If Wembley could be secured for a regional, then it should have been used as the Finals first (and the event planning should have adjusted around that). Not even a place in 343's backyard - Benaroya Hall - could be booked? Disappointing. 

On the other hand, if HWC was at a decent 1,000+ capacity venue, but the cost for the weekend was $1,000+, how many people would truthfully still consider attending? I've been reading a lot of strongly worded replies about cost, but would there REALLY be an audience for it (even if there was ample time in advance to put this event on people's calendars)?

I'm inclined to think not enough people regardless. Yes, I know Columbus is effectively the mecca of Halo, but I have a hard time seeing ESL advertising a World Finals there. 

yeah i kind of wish they would use microsoft campus for last minute booking. it would be pretty sweet to be able to have xbox division or 343i tours in downtime.

as for attendance, in a good location and enough lead time, i would spend extra money on what would essentially be a vacation. take a few extra days off to go to dallas or orlando (disney could be a lit event) or nyc or columbus and spend time in the city.

• Upvote (+1) 2

With all the talks about Rocket League and whatnot, I have to say their community and company around it was amazing when we ran our first tournament last week. One of the most surprising thing was we actually got a RT from the Rocket League twitter for our stream that eventually hit 6k viewers with over 60+ teams. They did it because they saw it and wanted to support it.

Psyonix really did a great job of showing how to make a good competitive centered game that is also capable of being played casually. I should probably start playing it again.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Don't give a shit as long as the tourney is good. Teams don't give a shit either since travel is paid for

Most people complaining only.woukd have went if it was close to.them anyway.

I can't really put my finger on why, but I suspect the bolded is wildly inaccurate.

Your inferior product is pushing people away, not the community. We weren't always assholes and quick with comments. I could understand if you were working with what you had but besides @@TheSimms the effort doesn't even seem to be there. Rebuild the HCS from the ground up after this season, I'm tired of focusing on idiotic decisions that are constantly made and not who's playing who in scrims. We are better than this. MLG gave you guys a blueprint on how the run shit and you still screwed it up.

Sorry if this comes off as ungrateful, I love the community but I despise the people running this clown show.

Ah, I didn't know that was Beyond's first Rocket League tourney. I don't pay too much attention to their comp scene so it was kind of a pleasant surprise seeing Team Beyond sitting pretty at the top of /r/rocketleague the other day. I honestly just assumed you'd been running the ASTRONAUT events for a while because of the dev support and all the tweets and everything.

honestly it's sad that it's so easy to find info and everything for those tournaments, and I still don't even know where to look for details on HCS 2017's online qualifiers and all that shit. Clicking "Schedule" on http://halo.gg literally just takes you to a page that says

HALO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2017 ANNOUNCE

Today, we’re extremely excited to announce the Halo World Championship 2017, which will serve yet again as a true crown jewel in the Halo esports calendar. The Halo World Championship 2017 will showcase the best Halo talent on Earth, all fighting to prove that no Spartan stands taller than they do. Can the defending World Champs repeat history and bring a World Championship title across the #GreenWall to the ravenous fans of OpTic Gaming? Can European powerhouse FAB Esports best last year’s Top 8 Epsilon squad as the best European team in Halo – or could they shock the world and go all the way? Already, the storylines are rife with potential and promise, but now the real test begins. The next Halo World Championship is up for grabs, and the road begins here.

Where's that schedule timeline picture that's been floating around lately? Why is it not on the HCS Schedule page? When are all the online qualifiers? Why is the Halo.gg schedule page just this incredibly vague paragraph that looks it was written by some college kid in less than two minutes and offering literally no fucking info apart from that Worlds is happening? The details are out there, guys. Throw me 10 bucks and I'll update your site for you. Hell, maybe I'd even get real crazy and post explanations for the online qualifiers and seeding for the HCS as well, who knows?

And, yknow, that should probably also say "announcement" or even just "Halo World Championship 2017" but expecting literally anything from the HCS to be done properly at this point is an exercise in frustration. 

dang I swear I was in a good mood when I started this post

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can't be the only one who would have rather had a $750k prize pool and the other $250k allocated to venue and production.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Ah, I didn't know that was Beyond's first Rocket League tourney. I don't pay too much attention to their comp scene so it was kind of a pleasant surprise seeing Team Beyond sitting pretty at the top of /r/rocketleague the other day. I honestly just assumed you'd been running the ASTRONAUT events for a while because of the dev support and all the tweets and everything.

honestly it's sad that it's so easy to find info and everything for those tournaments, and I still don't even know where to look for details on HCS 2017's online qualifiers and all that shit. Clicking "Schedule" on http://halo.gg literally just takes you to a page that says

Where's that schedule timeline picture that's been floating around lately? Why is it not on the HCS Schedule page? When are all the online qualifiers? Why is the Halo.gg schedule page just this incredibly vague paragraph that looks like some college kid wrote it in less than two minutes and offering literally no fucking info apart from that Worlds is happening. The details are out there, guys. Throw me 10 bucks and I'll update your site for you. 

And, yknow, that should probably also say "announcement" or even just "world championship 2017" but expecting literally anything from the HCS to be done properly at this point is an exercise in frustration. 

dang I swear I was in a good mood when I started this post

this shit kills me

i used to complain about how lame halo.gg was and they placated me with "we are revamping the site, stay tuned"

this was before last worlds 

it's almost as if they DONT want you to follow HCS

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can't be the only one who would have rather had a $750k prize pool and the other $250k allocated to venue and production.

You are not the only one. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've only watched competitive Halo for a year now.  Started with last year's Worlds qualifiers.  I feel bamboozled and you guys have been around for much longer than I have.  I can't imagine what you guys feel about where the scene is going.  I'm worried that in a short time competitive Halo will not exist

I don't get a lot of what 343 and ESL are doing. Ever since the launch of HCS back in 2014, it has always seemed like ESL operates on the budget of a waffle house when it has hosted Halo tournaments.  

ESL and 343 are the wrong tournament organizer/dev for Halo and its for the same basic reason.(Hint:the reason starts with the letter P ) Dont get me wrong, they are great for their "bread-and butter" games like CS and usually produce high-quality events but just go to ESL's website(or their twitter) and tell me if you ever see any Halo info or promotion. Its just unfortunate really, Halo has lacked the right leadership for years and has suffered greatly as a result of it when most other competitive games are booming or enjoyed long stretches of increased growth. I saw the writing on the wall years ago and decided I couldn't wholeheartedly  support a company/product that treats some of their most passionate fans that way. It seems us fans are not the only ones, because alot of 343 employees have also left recently.

• Upvote (+1) 1

this shit kills me

i used to complain about how lame halo.gg was and they placated me with "we are revamping the site, stay tuned"

this was before last worlds 

it's almost as if they DONT want you to follow HCS

same man, it's just annoying and it seems somewhat unprofessional. Just give me a little "edit" button and half their site would be fixed in a day out of sheer frustration

---

you are not

Is there anyone else like me who would have rather it just been $500,000 and have them use the other half to hire MLG for LANs and reserving a half decent Finals venue?

FUCK YES

With all the talks about Rocket League and whatnot, I have to say their community and company around it was amazing when we ran our first tournament last week. One of the most surprising thing was we actually got a RT from the Rocket League twitter for our stream that eventually hit 6k viewers with over 60+ teams. They did it because they saw it and wanted to support it. When we were running Halo in 2016 with ASTRO, they would have to ask them most times to even do that - if that even bothered to log in. The support starts at the top, I'm tired of fighting for this game when it appears they don't care. We are one of the biggest Halo communities around, where the hell did @@ske7ch go? Did he "forget" his password like @@Bravo too? Why did I personally make @@StrongSide account for him, even made sure his sig was perfect but won't even get on here. I'm not even going to get into the tournament sponsors who bailed after MCC fucked up.

Your inferior product is pushing people away, not the community. We weren't always assholes and quick with comments. I could understand if you were working with what you had but besides @@TheSimms the effort doesn't even seem to be there. Rebuild the HCS from the ground up after this season, I'm tired of focusing on idiotic decisions that are constantly made and not who's playing who in scrims. We are better than this. MLG gave you guys a blueprint on how the run shit and you still screwed it up.

Sorry if this comes off as ungrateful, I love the community but I despise the people running this clown show.

giphy.gif

Up fucking vote this.

No excuses and no need to fear that you sound ungrateful. Its ridiculous how Halo is managed. Its been SEVEN YEARS OF TOM-FUCKERY and we have not gotten anywhere. Microsoft is throwing money at these events and every year the amount of money they just throw gets lower and lower. Microsoft can only throw so much Halo 5s revenue at the competitve scene but if the scene cant generate its own money we are fucked in the long run. 

We need increased production value and competent information being available to the viewers. 

Why can't the community and Pro's rise up and tell off 343i to make shit better?

• Upvote (+1) 5

the money on the line makes it impossible for the pros to band together and boycott the tournaments, plus org contracts probably prevent this too.

I know we are all hating on ESL and HCS for how they have managed Halo over the last years but I really think (not trying to turn this into a circlejerk) that MLG handling Halo and help it stay on their feet would be the best. We wouldn't suffer the lack of spectators and teams attending because we would have both crowds and the production value would be what we deserve, the only downside is they might force us to use MLG TV.

I know we are all hating on ESL and HCS for how they have managed Halo over the last years but I really think (not trying to turn this into a circlejerk) that MLG handling Halo and help it stay on their feet would be the best. We wouldn't suffer the lack of spectators and teams attending because we would have both crowds and the production value would be what we deserve, the only downside is they might force us to use MLG TV.

I don't think they would force mlgtv since that would be 343's decision. Gears isn't streamed exclusively on mlg tv and the only reason cod's on mlg tv is because activision own both mlg and cod. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is my grammar that bad  :flip:  Still trying to learn this language.

It's fine, just funny in retrospect.

• Upvote (+1) 1

With all the talks about Rocket League and whatnot, I have to say their community and company around it was amazing when we ran our first tournament last week. One of the most surprising thing was we actually got a RT from the Rocket League twitter for our stream that eventually hit 6k viewers with over 60+ teams. They did it because they saw it and wanted to support it. When we were running Halo in 2016 with ASTRO, they would have to ask them most times to even do that - if that even bothered to log in. The support starts at the top, I'm tired of fighting for this game when it appears they don't care. We are one of the biggest Halo communities around, where the hell did @@ske7ch go? Did he "forget" his password like @@Bravo too? Why did I personally make @@StrongSide account for him, even made sure his sig was perfect but won't even get on here. I'm not even going to get into the tournament sponsors who bailed after MCC fucked up.

giphy.gif

what pisses me off the most is when we get called out as toxic or @@Tsquared uses stream time to talk about how the pros and community need to do more.

let that sink in for a minute because this was said on stream at one of the worst produced events we've had at ugc 2017. for all the fuck ups and missteps with everyone involved in halo esports, they have the nerve to tell us to do more and it will be better. i dont know where to turn and shout to these fuckers that this "toxic" community is what keeps competitive halo alive. it certainly isn't r/halo where they love to go but right fucking here. and we want them to succeed. we offer free advice and watch and attend and buy the merch. yet for all the work we do and tournaments we host, 343 just shows us their asshole and asks us to take a whiff.

they are lucky to have us. they are lucky that we havent just gone elsewhere. an entire forum for months has been begging for a different location, yet they announce burbank and a food truck like its a gift from the gods. i dont know of a bigger screw you than that.

i could write a dissertation on this but no one from 343 would ever read it and it would only make me angry

• Upvote (+1) 8

This is on 343 man, not ESL. The ESL Studio has always been the "failsafe" location that they can use for a backup when they mismanage the planning or don't have the money for a venue. 

Out of all the parties involved, ESL is one of the better ones, and they at the very least communicate with us. When has Tashi or Strongside acknowledged a single word about our feedback or posted on the forums? Seems like they bring in as many third parties as possible so they can shift blame.

ESL shoulder a fair amount of blame for a whole ton of other shit (Pnda), even if we exclude this fiasco 

• Upvote (+1) 4

One interesting thing i noticed and i haven't seen a post about it yet. It says they will be having matches indoors and OUTDOORS. This could be cool if they make a big outdoor arena but i don't know if this is what they meant. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm telling you guys, they are trying to get a feel on what people like and then releasing the real info soon.

WE ARE NOT GUINEA PIGS @@Timo

?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 47