CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Bout damn time.

I'll assume @@TheSimms managed to get into someone's ear on this. Even if not that's what I choose to believe. Rather give credit to someone I like.

Still crazy to think we had competition without a published rulebook. But I guess making rules retrospectively you can't get them wrong, right?... Oh wait integrity clause and cratos still exist, nevermind.

• Upvote (+1) 3

No

With regards to Thorin vs Gandhi from a few days ago:

I don't personally think Gandhi's videos would've been taken seriously if he hadn't been a former pro Player -- he had the pre-existing fanbase and transitioned into a non-player role after his playing career came to a close.

Thorin, however, was a casual player who came into his desk+video personality work after years upon years of journalism in the scene.  He put in a lot of effort to be taken seriously, and continues to put in the research+time necessary to remain one of the best analysts in the CS scene.

The similarities lie in that they're both kind of assholes (read: blunt and unfiltered) in their videos...but Thorin comes across to me as having put a lot more effort and research into his opinions when he makes them (in both LoL and CS), whereas Gandhi's opinions in videos came across more as a "this is how I feel from having been a player in the past" -- neither are more or less valid, but they carry a different connotation when you hear their opinions.  (That said, a lot of Thorin's LoL-related comments come from his feeling after being a CS journalist/analyst for so long, seeing trends from LoL repeat themselves from the vastly different game of CS/CSGO)

Both are great at what they do and this isn't meant to read as a negative toward either (not even the part where I called them assholes), just observation+opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Splitscreen I think came down to poor prioritization. They went full speed at a 60fps frame buffer in a manner that didn't allow for compromises. Basically they bit off more than they could chew.

What irks me more than anything about H5 right now is that 343 pushed 60fps and dedicated servers harder than any other technical elements of H5. They were listed alongside virtually every press release and review as far back as the release of MCC. And at launch both of those technical elements were delivered. But now, we have a game breaking glitch where most forge maps run worse than 4 player split screen H4 on the 360, and servers that are performing twice as badly now than at launch. And it seems that 343 is no longer giving these issues much attention. At some point Tom French said that the frame rate bug in forge would take too much time to repair (which is odd because there was a build of the game where that bug did not exist), and 343 took months to fix one issue with regard to the servers. 

I understand that 343 are probably deep in development for Halo 6, but we as a community gave up so much in return that 343 delivered on these features. But now frame rates are no longer locked, we have a version of H5 that runs on PC just fine when locked at 30fps, and we don't have splitscreen. We have servers that are still in bad shape, but no LAN or P2P options.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hey guys, so been on Holiday for the past week and as I mentioned before I wanted to go away and get some answers to clear up any confusions and questions that have been arising and hopefully shed some more light as we move closer to The HWC Finals.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, ESL is only involved in the Grand Finals and ANZ Qualifiers of HWC.

ESL will be running HWC Finals and it's shaping up to be incredible! I do not have an ETA to share but the current aim is to have the information live this week surrounding the event.

I can totally appreciate and accept there is still frustrations revolving the first situation, we will be working much closer with the players on the pro league structure as a whole after HWC as we look to make changes for the better. For part 2 ESL is not handling the NA Qualification system, as such it would be unfair for me to comment on how it fully works as a whole but hopefully this breakdown explains it better and helps shed some light!

Totally accept this and trying to get fixed asap, aiming to get the rulebook uploaded to this page under Handbook at the bottom sometime this week.

Currently I would focus on the 4 pro league teams (2 teams disbanded during the roster period)

FAB - Respectful, Jimbo, TuFoxy, Mose.

INFUSED - Kimbo, Phlux, Snakey, Qrisola.

VIBE - Septiq, Lunny, Ramirez, Batchford.

SUPREMACY - SLG, Punisher, Frager, Solar.

Maybe @@Wonderboy can drop some more cheeky teams in who could potentially cause an upset?

I can fully appreciate why ESL is the first go to for all questions Halo esports both positive and negative, we play a big part in it. Hopefully things have been made a bit clearer now!

I'm sorry Richard, I'm sure you're a nice guy and I realise your hands are tied as you are an employee of ESL but you don't actually give any answers.

Your response regarding the rule book is almost identical to your response LAST YEAR (or season, not sure anymore) blah blah blah going forward etc. Just get them up before season starts ffs.

Your response regarding cratos/showtime fuckery was quite simply a cop out.

Again, I imagine this is because your job would be on the line if you gave a thoroughly honest veiwpoint but still...

even if it's "in the rules" it's not fucking right, everybody knows it and yet panda sit there like the coaches cheating shit kid who is not good enough yet plays centre fucking forward while actual good players sit on the bench or play for the 2nds.

i suppose while I'm here venting at you I could add:

in your next casting appearance could you maybe not butcher EVERY cliche you attempt. I know in the heat of battle words/phrases get jumbled but either research what those cliches actually mean or just avoid them if you're unsure of the actual terms used.

I do honestly enjoy your casting though so good luck for worlds and I'm sorry for taking my frustration out on you.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 7

EG 5 - 8 LG in scrims today. FeelsBadMan

I don't know what to think of eg online anymore. I do wish @@Towey would tell lunch to just slow down
  • Upvote (+1) 1

With regards to Thorin vs Gandhi from a few days ago:

I don't personally think Gandhi's videos would've been taken seriously if he hadn't been a former pro Player -- he had the pre-existing fanbase and transitioned into a non-player role after his playing career came to a close.

Thorin, however, was a casual player who came into his desk+video personality work after years upon years of journalism in the scene.  He put in a lot of effort to be taken seriously, and continues to put in the research+time necessary to remain one of the best analysts in the CS scene.

The similarities lie in that they're both kind of assholes (read: blunt and unfiltered) in their videos...but Thorin comes across to me as having put a lot more effort and research into his opinions when he makes them (in both LoL and CS), whereas Gandhi's opinions in videos came across more as a "this is how I feel from having been a player in the past" -- neither are more or less valid, but they carry a different connotation when you hear their opinions.  (That said, a lot of Thorin's LoL-related comments come from his feeling after being a CS journalist/analyst for so long, seeing trends from LoL repeat themselves from the vastly different game of CS/CSGO)

Both are great at what they do and this isn't meant to read as a negative toward either (not even the part where I called them assholes), just observation+opinion.

Thorin is a self proclaimed "esports historian" who specializes in top PC esports like CS, Dota, LoL, etc. gandhi very much fits into the same vein but more on the console side with CoD and Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 5

in your next casting appearance could you maybe not butcher EVERY cliche you attempt. I know in the heat of battle words/phrases get jumbled but either research what those cliches actually mean or just avoid them if you're unsure of the actual terms used.

I do honestly enjoy your casting though so good luck for worlds and I'm sorry for taking my frustration out on you.

Excuse me but,

What in the actual flying fuck are you talking about?

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Regarding Gandhi/Thorin's style stuff, it does bug me that no caster does prediction/recap videos for halo. T2 or Elamite maybe even together should be doing those kind of things to keep content out there, and maybe even further discussions for settings etc.

Regarding Gandhi/Thorin's style stuff, it does bug me that no caster does prediction/recap videos for halo. T2 or Elamite maybe even together should be doing those kind of things to keep content out there, and maybe even further discussions for settings etc.

They did something like this for predictions before fall finals as a Facebook live stream. That's were the pie in the face bet started *simms face*

I'm sorry Richard, I'm sure you're a nice guy and I realise your hands are tied as you are an employee of ESL but you don't actually give any answers.

Your response regarding the rule book is almost identical to your response LAST YEAR (or season, not sure anymore) blah blah blah going forward etc. Just get them up before season starts ffs.

Your response regarding cratos/showtime fuckery was quite simply a cop out.

Again, I imagine this is because your job would be on the line if you gave a thoroughly honest veiwpoint but still...

even if it's "in the rules" it's not fucking right, everybody knows it and yet panda sit there like the coaches cheating shit kid who is not good enough yet plays centre fucking forward while actual good players sit on the bench or play for the 2nds.

i suppose while I'm here venting at you I could add:

Did you seriously just "blah blah blah" @@TheSimms?

Jesus man

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can someone explain why someone donated 60k to Ninja? Who is this guy and why would he do that? 

He has money + fan of ninja. Ninja is probably doing better than 85% of the pros in the HCS just based on his stream alone.

He has money + fan of ninja. Ninja is probably doing better than 85% of the pros in the HCS just based on his stream alone.

He is making more money than anyone else in halo
  • Upvote (+1) 5

So if I understand correctly, pro teams don't get additional points, but they do get a seeding advantage, which essentially is a free pass to more points?

Is something like this sheet accurate then? Google Doc

So if I understand correctly, pro teams don't get additional points, but they do get a seeding advantage, which essentially is a free pass to more points?

Is something like this sheet accurate then? Google Doc

No they do get more points. Heres the standings but Optic is excluded but they are in first and way ahead. 

https://www.millennialesports.gg/tournament_series/2

Edit. I miss read your post but they get a seeding advantage due to a one time point boost/

• Upvote (+1) 3