CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Well, as someone playing on the LATAM qualifier, I'm happy they postponed it. It was just not fair to make South American teams play against Mexican teams with better connection. Playing from Brazil or Colombia against some Mexicans (not all of them have good Internet) is like playing against Americans when you are in Europe.

Dont get me wrong, i am too. Its just a) this shouldve been thought of before worlds was announced, and b) it screws over people who already made plans. We already know that giving location info is hard for hcs so i dont imagine itll be good for people wanting to go to mexico city assuming it will still be there

• Upvote (+1) 2

Serious question.

What do you guys think needs to be changed with breakout so that it is good enough for competitive. I feel like pistol/ar starts are required not pistol/shotgun and the flag should be capped at the other teams base. Also having the game mode on symmetrical arena maps.

Or is the game mode overall not fit for halo and something like assault or oddball should be looked at for a possible new game mode if necessary

Certainly not the version it came back as, as a stand alone game type I really REALLY enjoyed it, tonnes of fun!

Then radar and shotgun starts got added and now I won't touch it, it went from super fun to one of the most unenjoyable things I've ever played  :salt:

For competitive I would love to have seen it work, credit where credit is due they tried several things but it simply never seemed to just work. It really needed a goal, honestly think extraction would have worked amazingly, kinda like CoD SND but again maybe this just isn't what Halo needed/wanted.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hm, I'm not sure if I remember the exact numbers.

I do know that Clinton got approximately 66m votes. To get the number of Trump votes, we have to subtract 3 million. When we subtract 3 million votes from Clinton's total, we get the number of Trump votes at roughly 63 million.

About 130m Americans voted in this election.

That's the elections, but they make predictions based on polls before the elections, those polls are made on a way smaller scale.

I still think we're missing out/messing up by not including Asia.

Yes, I remember how outclassed they were at the last worlds, you don't have to remind me. But they won $25,000 just for being there. That's how you build a crowd. I promise you if I was living over there, I would grab 3 of my friends and say "Hey, look at these scrubs. I promise you we can beat them. Let's go make 25k." And we would practice to make sure that we won. That's how you build a scene.

If you don't think the winner of Asia deserves a direct spot in Worlds, that's fine. Make them then go to a LAN against the ANZ group to make it to worlds. But give them some financial incentive to TRY.

Although honestly, if you want the real best teams in the world, you would really only include like 2-4 teams from EU and 12-14 from NA. Sorry.

But that's not how you build it into a worldwide eSport.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The polls are made to draw conclusions, so i can say that is safe to assume that a number close to 74% of the subreditt is older than 18.

Polls work really well, just look at those polls before the election. lol

People talk about scams, polls are the biggest scam.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, I remember how outclassed they were at the last worlds, you don't have to remind me. But they won $25,000 just for being there. That's how you build a crowd. I promise you if I was living over there, I would grab 3 of my friends and say "Hey, look at these scrubs. I promise you we can beat them. Let's go make 25k." And we would practice to make sure that we won. That's how you build a scene.

If you don't think the winner of Asia deserves a direct spot in Worlds, that's fine. Make them then go to a LAN against the ANZ group to make it to worlds. But give them some financial incentive to TRY.

Although honestly, if you want the real best teams in the world, you would really only include like 2-4 teams from EU and 12-14 from NA. Sorry.

You need a good game with a healthy population on all regions, and provide for server so the online play is enjoyable. There is no point in give some money to AUS player if every time they play they either don't find games in their server or have to play in a 250+ latency to American Servers.

You need a good game with a healthy population on all regions, and provide for server so the online play is enjoyable. There is no point in give some money to AUS player if every time they play they either don't find games in their server or have to play in a 250+ latency to American Servers.

But unless I'm wrong, we have an ANZ team coming to worlds, correct? So what's your point? Clearly that works, so why not Asia?

But unless I'm wrong, we have an ANZ team coming to worlds, correct? So what's your point? Clearly that works, so why not Asia?

There is no point in giving a seed if the region is never going to improve with the infrastructure they have. It doesn't matter how much money you give the player base isnot increasing.

Meh, I don't see the value of building an Asia crowd at the expense of having the highest level competitors at the most important event.

They should just have regional tornaments in the build up to worlds in order to accommodate the regions where halo is less popular.

Asia could have had Online qualifiers the fed an Asia-ANZ LAN tournament. If the Asian team couldn't win this tournament, then they have no business going to Worlds.

And there should be LATAM regional qualifiers that fed a latAM LAN tournament

Then The top few from those LANs would join the best from EU and NA in the world tournament.

You don't build a worldwide Esports by inviting crappy teams to world class competition. You do it by having an infrastructure that can facilitate natural growth regardless of region. The lack of P2P in H5 resulted in No LAN support, and forced people to play on servers with ridiculous ping... it's impossible for other reasons to stand a chance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unpopular opinion, I liked Breakout. I thought it was one of the only gametypes that could match SnD on Call of Duty, which is loads of fun to watch.

Teams that really put in the work were dominant on it, I think it was fun. I think it was Allegiance v1 that absolutely dominated while everyone else was complaining about it. 

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Poll shows majority of /r/halo likes sprint. "FILTHY CASUALS"

Same poll shows most over 18. "Well who really knows how indicative this poll is of that community."

• Upvote (+1) 4

I remember they put Halo 5 commercials on TV here in Brazil. So, they invested in marketing before the game was out, then they abandoned. A lot of my friends don't play because of the servers.

And I'm loving that we are having some discussion about the LATAM qualifier. Best of luck to any beyond member playing next week.

Meh, I don't see the value of building an Asia crowd at the expense of having the highest level competitors at the most important event.

They should just have regional tornaments in the build up to worlds in order to accommodate the regions where halo is less popular.

Asia could have had Online qualifiers the fed an Asia-ANZ LAN tournament. If the Asian team couldn't win this tournament, then they have no business going to Worlds.

And there should be LATAM regional qualifiers that fed a latAM LAN tournament

Then The top few from those LANs would be join the best from EU and NA in the world tournament.

You don't build a worldwide Esports by inviting crappy teams to world class competition. You do it by having an infrastructure that can facilitate natural growth regardless of region. The lack of P2P in H5 resulted in No LAN support, and forced people to play on servers with ridiculous ping... it's impossible for other reasons to stand a chance.

You and I are saying the same thing, I guess I just didnt explain myself correctly. Don't put Asia directly into worlds, but don't LOCK THEM OUT either. Give some cash incentive to compete online to go to the combined Asia LAN, then have a combined Asia/ANZ LAN to see who from there gets to go. But locking them out entirely means they never are gonna play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

what exactly is this online cup for?

Seeding points for vegas. Though how many and how they work has yet to be said

• Upvote (+1) 2

Unpopular opinion, I liked Breakout. I thought it was one of the only gametypes that could match SnD on Call of Duty, which is loads of fun to watch.

Teams that really put in the work were dominant on it, I think it was fun. I think it was Allegiance v1 that absolutely dominated while everyone else was complaining about it. 

Allegiance v2

Allegiance v1 was

CSNkx2iUYAAoeuL.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

If I remember correctly CLG nearly never lost Breakout, and they still wanted it out. I could be, but I remember thinking [email protected]@LethuL CLG was winning series because they would win the Breakouts and then one of the other 3 games.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Pretty sure breakout is full shields, pistol/shotgun starts right now...

Not saying that it should be used, just that it's not a weird health thing anymore.

Radar + shotty starts :wutface:

Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?

As badly as I want another gametype I seriously doubt KotH would work in H5. Take coli for example, can you think of 1 hill location that wouldn't be immediately naded out and cleared up with cross map sight lines?

Top rockets?

Courtyard?

Back/bottom green?

I think assault is the closest to working right now.

Closest to working, but it's still trash.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I did not care to watch competitive breakout but the game was very fun to play. Version 1 break out was much better. I have not touched it since they added shotguns. Its just trash now. 

If I remember correctly CLG nearly never lost Breakout, and they still wanted it out. I could be, but I remember thinking [email protected]@LethuL CLG was winning series because they would win the Breakouts and then one of the other 3 games.

Weird I remember CLG being extremely average at Breakout. I thought ALG and TL were the best Breakout teams.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is an interesting perspective. While I do think Asia and esports go hand in hand I feel like LatAm is where the money is for console esports in particular. I was talking to some friends who visited the Mexico City Gears event and they were telling me that the fan base was rabid down there. Furthermore, at Smite Worlds I saw first hand the passion of the LatAm region and the community is really putting time into the game whereas Asia is falling behind (mostly due to lack of Gods being released and other issues) and Smite isn't the focus of the region like League or DOTA.

I don't have access to the numbers but I would argue that LatAm and Brazil have more value to Halo than Asia and that should be the focus. Keep in mind I do believe there should still be investment into Australia but this is my observation of console esports based on anecdotal evidence.

To your last point that it being a World Championship means the world should compete, I don't believe in the WCG format of having regions compete because you want the illusion of a global tournament is beneficial to Halo. Console esports will not grow in Asia, in its current state. The community and mentality is very different out there. If MS wants to invest in those regions then they should invest in the local grassroots competitions rather than shoehorn them against the likes of OpTic, NV, and so on.

Halo is in a unique position right now. COD is not getting the attention many thought it would (IW could be the culprit here) and while that could change for the LAN League I would be over the moon is MS struck a deal with a company like ELEAGUE for a one off event like the Overwatch Open because that could be MASSIVE for Halo.

Anyway lots to digest but it has been a while since I posted so sorry about that ;P

Thanks for the insight. I in no way meant that LatAm was not highly important. But that is an interesting idea on supporting the grassroot local competition.

Also, yes, someone else has apparently watched Eleague and knows how great of a show rhey run (only beat in CSGO history imo by Epicenter). An Eleague Halo event would be fantastic.

Also still waiting on the day Halo asks GB to come back. I miss ya.:(

Thanks for the insight. I in no way meant that LatAm was not highly important. But that is an interesting idea on supporting the grassroot local competition.

Also, yes, someone else has apparently watched Eleague and knows how great of a show rhey run (only beat in CSGO history imo by Epicenter). An Eleague Halo event would be fantastic.

Also still waiting on the day Halo asks GB to come back. I miss ya.:(

GB was cancer, kids contesting the results every time they lost.

GB was cancer, kids contesting the results every time they lost.

GB in this instance meaning Goldenboy. Sorry, thought context was enough there. :/