CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Thoughts on no radar from a scrim that we split:

Wow people actually can move around the map freely.

It works perfectly with the new settings since there are little to no autos or splinters on the map.

"Bad" plays can become clutch plays because you are actually able to juke without someone standing still staring at the radar.

Just some random thoughts i know, but I'm honestly contemplating not playing again until it's officially added when Quinn gets his act together, it's simply too much fun for me to ever go back to radar again.

See this is what I've been saying forever. It just feels so good to not have to know that guy is just staring at his radar so almost no matter how complex your route is he knows what you're doing. Its fun being free to actually outplay someone in a weird situation

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Holy shit. Do really ppl judge noradar after watching/playing it couple of hours ? After crouch walking with automatics for one year ? Awesome.

Would the game change quite a bit ? Sure. Would it be hard to adjust to it ? I ques so. But that is mainly due to mental block caused by playing with radar for such a long time. That would certainly create some chaos.

But ffs. H5 radar is showing how much, 18 feet ? When camping, many times, you don't even have the time to react when someone is sprinting/sliding by. And yet, it makes ppl to slow

• Upvote (+1) 7

I really hope we get severely reduced power weapons on maps. Especially for slayers you don't need snipe, rockets, scatter/shotgun, overshield/camo, etc. Every time I play Coliseum slayer it seems like the winning team is the team who gets the first rotation of snipe/rockets. After that as long as you don't all die in a dumb push you get free power weapons for the rest of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

People could argue that removal of radar will create unpredictable gameplay because opponents can just flank at will.

I'd counter argue that they need to do a better job predicting their opponent. Take someone like Ryanoob for example. You should know that if you kill him, in about 8 seconds he's more than likely going to be attempting to get behind you. So instead of complaining that it's too chaotic, predict his spawn, predict his route, and either cut him off or wait for him to run passed you and kill him. Removing radar will actually make people use their brains in game which is a level of skill that has been sorely missed..

Think back to Halo 3. Players were known for their awareness and escapability. Someone like Pistola was always said to be extremely difficult to kill. How many people have that rep in Halo 5? None. Just crouch around a corner and anyone is easy to kill. Gunskill was important don't get me wrong, but what made the best players stand out was their awareness, communication, and map movement. Think about the team that finally took down OpTic. Pure. Gunskill. I'm not saying that they don't have other qualities, but all it took was a team that could outshoot OpTic. And this claim was supported as they won all 3 Slayers in the final bo7.

Remove radar, make people think. It will add a whole new layer of skill to Halo 5. I'm so tired of people relying on their radars instead of their brains.

• Upvote (+1) 8

According to @@Jimbo, the Pro Team felt the game played better with radar enabled. The plan was to do no radar initially hence the no radar invitational at Gamescom 2015 but something changed between then and launch.

Which team and their twitter accounts, just want to individually tweet them that they're idiots.

• Downvote (-1) 8

This isn't a discussion on the pros and cons of having a radar, this is competitive halo bro you don't play with radar. That likes allowing double dribbles and travels in basketball because it allows players to score more. It's like Halo coming out with 5v5 game types, oh wait.....

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

the fact that Dersky, Neighbor, Ghost, et al. played H5 for two years before release and decided that radar worked better than no radar has to mean something ... they all know previous Halo games pretty well

Halo pros at 343 seem to be little more than a publicity stunt, seeing how strong the automatics are in Halo 5 paired with splinter nades, power weapons with too much ammo, and a mix of other big problems.

Halo 4 launched with the bolt shot as a secondary starter weapon in the loadout. It was basically twice as strong as the Halo 3 mauler, and the mauler was removed as a pick up weapon in Halo 3. Next thing you know you can spawn with one that was basically a shotgun.

I haven't seen any meaningful impact the pros have made except the fact 343 can market them like they actually make a difference. I wish they had more power than they do and I was stoked to here about them getting hired initially, but there's little to show after 4 years.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If the new settings have the following, we are in for an excellent year of Halo:

• No Radar
  • Less power weapons on the map(Remove Fuel Rod on TRUTH!)
  • Less or completely remove splinter nades
  • Severely reduce the amount of automatic weapons on the map, but keep the AR secondary.
  • Remove Stasis from the map rotation.
  • If there is a shotgun on the map, make it so that it spawns 30 seconds(maybe 1 minute)after dropping it when ammo is depleted. 10 seconds is too short

I would 100% play the fuck out of h5 and watch the hcs

• Upvote (+1) 6

I also wish they would just move the shotgun and other lower tier power weapons onto the same static timer as the big power weapons. Having all these tiers on different timers is unnecessarily confusing. Dynamic timers is another reason that Halo 5 Slayer can get rather snowbally. I find much more skill in two teams battling for power items when they both know exactly when they will spawn rather than one team knowing and the other team not knowing.

They took the first few steps in the right direction with static sniper/rocket, now it's time to just move the whole system to static times, power ups included, IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Vetoed

Great post, man. For a lot of pro players, this game is their source of income and it might be disconcerting to be thrown out of their comfort zone. If they feel like they've found a rhythm and are dominant with the current settings and suddenly feel with no radar that they don't know what to do in game they could get worried or upset. It's an understandable impulse. I think that stomping on people in matchmaking a bit could give some of them the chance to find a comfort zone individually with the new settings.

As you said, the abilities only radar would be confusing and annoying for newer players; I also think it's the kind of half-measure that's characterized settings changes for too long.

I'm not sure if the over abundance of weapon upgrades and power weapons is a bigger problem than radar but I think it's detrimental to radar and no radar gameplay. I bet >90% of pro players and people on this forum think the weapons need to be heavily reduced.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the game is more competitive, then that should be what is implemented. Just remove some power weapons.

This isn't a discussion on the pros and cons of having a radar, this is competitive halo bro you don't play with radar. That likes allowing double dribbles and travels in basketball because it allows players to score more. It's like Halo coming out with 5v5 game types, oh wait.....

Not a bad analogy at all!

Lol the irony is, the nba allows double dribbles and travels... because it allows players to score more

• Upvote (+1) 2

How old are kaotic and articc? And what did 2gre think about no radar settings?

Sucks that mercy ts isn't getting a chance. It's a solid ganetype without the saw

I need someone smarter than me to remember the game or find the vod, but i remember a koth construct game where player 1 made a bad flank around basement to sneak up on bottom hill i think with os. He was spotted and player 2 runs up behind him and gives him a dirty back smack. Killer play brought to you by lack of radar.

I think we're spoiled right now on being able to push up solo then crouch around to cover a faulty push or wait out bad positioning. I also think radar has made call outs pretty lazy.

Watching some of these games it just seems better. There is a lot of chaos but as @@CyReN said we have 400 days with radar and a whole afternoon without it. Maybe a good way to negate the randomness of sprint and thrust could be to disable sprint and up movement speed to 110-120%. That waymovement is constanat while allowing players to easily traverse the map.

This needs to be put in a playlist so we can all test it. 343 needs to realize that they have a knowledgeable fanbase willing to test maps. I know they have the pro team but 4 players do not equal all 7.9 million halo esport enthusiasts.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I really hope we get severely reduced power weapons on maps. Especially for slayers you don't need snipe, rockets, scatter/shotgun, overshield/camo, etc. Every time I play Coliseum slayer it seems like the winning team is the team who gets the first rotation of snipe/rockets. After that as long as you don't all die in a dumb push you get free power weapons for the rest of the game.

Many factors contribute to snowballing in Halo 5 and I think it could be just as easily argued that tier 3 power weapons and power ups need to be MORE FREQUENT.

A weak utility and radar both work as crutches for the team that is set up. This is obvious to me, but if you'd like more detail I'll happily provide.

Also if Snipe was nerfed (maybe just reduced ammo even) and came up as frequently as rockets, every time weapons came up teams would be forced to choose which weapon to set up for or risk spliting their attention.

The more top power items that spawn, the more often the underdog has a chance to take back the advantage, especially when multiple items spawn simultaneously.

As long as radar and the magnum are a thing, and ANY weapon spawns on the map (even just BRs), the team that wins the initial push has a heavy advantage. Reducing the number of weapons to anything above ZERO, will maintain this effect.

I have no problem with having a single map that comes down to gun skill to appease fans of that type of halo, but power items are the movement incentive of this game, and ultimately what allows a losing team to come back. Imho, to say otherwise is to fundamentally misunderstand halo.

The fewer weapons the fewer reasons a setup team has to leave powerful map positions.

I'd rather have more weapons away from power positions spawning frequently and simultaneously through staggered timers. And I honestly don't see why at least one powerup isn't on every map in a weak location.

Let the unpopular opinion negs flow.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I appreciate you posting, but we've heard this before. 

Why are pros constantly surprised with changes they had no knowledge about?

Why are there so many power weapons despite all the protestations?

Why is the grenade launcher broken?

Why is there still Radar?

Everything you told us you fixed is actually making me feel worse about 343. If those things were a struggle like you say, then they clearly don't understand Halo at all.

This.

Cant say enough how appreciative I am anytime anyone from 343 sticks their heads in here, but these are legitimate concerns I doubt anyone (let alone us) will ever get the answers too.

It's such a weird dynamic because clearly Halo and Microsoft want Halo Esports to be a thing, but between the things Neighbor pointed out and the way H4 was designed most clearly have no clue what makes a competitive game when they've had three excellent examples in their recent past to lean on. 

I need someone smarter than me to remember the game or find the vod, but i remember a koth construct game where player 1 made a bad flank around basement to sneak up on bottom hill i think with os. He was spotted and player 2 runs up behind him and gives him a dirty back smack. Killer play brought to you by lack of radar.

I think we're spoiled right now on being able to push up solo then crouch around to cover a faulty push or wait out bad positioning. I also think radar has made call outs pretty lazy.

Watching some of these games it just seems better. There is a lot of chaos but as @@CyReN said we have 400 days with radar and a whole afternoon without it. Maybe a good way to negate the randomness of sprint and thrust could be to disable sprint and up movement speed to 110-120%. That waymovement is constanat while allowing players to easily traverse the map.

This needs to be put in a playlist so we can all test it. 343 needs to realize that they have a knowledgeable fanbase willing to test maps. I know they have the pro team but 4 players do not equal all 7.9 million halo esport enthusiasts.

You might be talking about the Sq match against some team with clutch killerdrew and some others. I linked the VOD a few months back because someone had this as a gif in their sig. I think it was a beardless Flamesword that got the backsmack

• Upvote (+1) 2