CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I know its been a rising opinion to not have slayer as the final game in the series, especially amongst the pros, but I cannot imagine not ending a series in a slayer. I wouldn't be hyped about someone getting 100 points in a SH but I'm always hyped for that 50th kill.

Seeing a huge SH comeback would be hype but it seems so boring watching a game end with 4 players down as the score hits 100. Not many games at the top level will have that huge 80 points comeback run.  

I remember there was one big comeback...maybe it was old optic in the lcq or something that was incredibly. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i asked this in the general discussion thread, but i want to knnow what everyone thinks; but do yall think coli flag should be 5 caps or is the ability for a 3 min game appealing?

No every CTF game in H5 can either be super fast or slow. 5 Would either take forever if they leave CTF how it is (where you can only cap when flag is at home), with out that rule it would be just as fast because teams would just grab the flag and sprint.

Slayer definitely should be played way less. It's played what, 3 times in a Bo5 or something? SH and CYF should be the majority of every series because they just better competitive gametypes. A Bo5 should be 1 slayer, 2 CTF's and 2 SH's no exceptions.

I disagree because I actually like Slayers.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I know its been a rising opinion to not have slayer as the final game in the series, especially amongst the pros, but I cannot imagine not ending a series in a slayer. I wouldn't be hyped about someone getting 100 points in a SH but I'm always hyped for that 50th kill.

This.

No every CTF game in H5 can either be super fast or slow. 5 Would either take forever if they leave CTF how it is (where you can only cap when flag is at home), with out that rule it would be just as fast because teams would just grab the flag and sprint.

I disagree because I actually like Slayers.

Liking them and them actually being a good game mode is completely different.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Liking them and them actually being a good game mode is completely different.

Why is slayer not considered a good game type?

imo it's always been worse than CTF / KotH / SH / Oddball, because objective gametypes require more skill and better teamwork.  I guess it's good to include slayer just because in some sense that's the "basic" Halo experience, and the games tend to finish more quickly than obj games?

i asked this in the general discussion thread, but i want to knnow what everyone thinks; but do yall think coli flag should be 5 caps or is the ability for a 3 min game appealing?

I'd say yes, good breakouts are rewarded anyway, but having 5 cap games makes it more about consistency and exposing your opponent's other weaknesses

I will admit that they can be steamrolley, but as we saw this tournament it is not too difficult to catch up if you have great teamwork/teamshot; and especially towards the ends of games when it gets very close and slows down it is all about communication, teamshot, and strategy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think a lot of the hate for slayers was due to 343's god awful balancing of power weapons on the slayer gametypes, which led to insane snowballing. It's gotten better recently (no fuel rod, no win  :kappa: ), but I still prefer objective gametypes as a spectator. 

I think a lot of the hate for slayers was due to 343's god awful balancing of power weapons on the slayer gametypes, which led to insane snowballing. It's gotten better recently (no fuel rod, no win :kappa: ), but I still prefer objective gametypes as a spectator.

We just need to remove all of the weapons on Regret and Empire and you get an Amplified kind of map that is pure skill.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

We just need to remove all of the weapons on Regret and Empire and you get an Amplified kind of map that is pure skill.

That would be awesome to have a no power weapon/power up slayer thats all about positioning and gunskill. While ive always prefered playing obj, high level slayer is so much fun to watch

• Upvote (+1) 3

That would be awesome to have a no power weapon/power up slayer thats all about positioning and gunskill. While ive always prefered playing obj, high level slayer is so much fun to watch

I disagree.  Power weapons and power ups produce coordinated map movement.  If there were no 'objectives' to work toward in a slayer match, everything would just become situational about the number of players dead.  Power weapons and power ups just need to be highly balanced for slayer to work in this game or we'll continue to see snow-bally matches.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I disagree. Power weapons and power ups produce coordinated map movement. If there were no 'objectives' to work toward in a slayer match, everything would just become situational about the number of players dead. Power weapons and power ups just need to be highly balanced for slayer to work in this game or we'll continue to see snow-bally matches.

You never played Amplified in H3 right?
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I disagree.  Power weapons and power ups produce coordinated map movement.  If there were no 'objectives' to work toward in a slayer match, everything would just become situational about the number of players dead.  Power weapons and power ups just need to be highly balanced for slayer to work in this game or we'll continue to see snow-bally matches.

Power weapons are fine, but when you have rifles, op autos, 2 powerups, and 2 power weapons it gets a bit much. There should never be more than 3 powerweapons/ups on a map imo. Some maps don't really need any. The obj in TS is either powerweapons/ups or height adv. Some maps are small enough were map adv is enough and you can deal with only having invis on the map or nothing at all. Warlock, Midship, Amplified come to mind.

• Upvote (+1) 1

'obj technically requires more skill so slayer isn't a good game type'   :wutface:

Slayer isn't a good gametype, but not because Objectives require more skill.

Slayer isn't a good gametype because it doesn't encourage movement.  It can be incredibly tense to watch and creates great moments for spectators, but in terms of proving which is the better team, Slayer is shit.  When you have a lead (or a small deficit and power weapons), the game grinds to a halt.  The team with the advantage has a much easier time increasing that advantage, whether it be by using rockets to secure more rockets (Coli, Eden), or by just being able to move the Sniper rifle around and get picks (Coli, Rig, Eden, Plaza) while more or less being unpressured, because your opponents can't risk giving up free deaths to your power weapon and losing the lead / getting further behind.

If you have a good opening and secure power weapons, you don't have to put as much effort in proving you're the better team in a Slayer than you do in Objective (setting up to use power weapons to actually score, rather than just getting kills with them, which is the score.)

Further, the way you win a Slayer game is not, as most people think, by getting kills.  The team that wins a Slayer game could have 0 kills, so long as the opponent has 1 death (0 to -1 is possible, albeit incredibly unlikely.)  The goal in Slayer is to avoid death.

That said, Slayer is still a core part of the Halo experience and great for both spectating and encouraging worse players into continuing to play and compete (since they can actually win games on it.  :kappa: )

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Congrats to optic! They do all the little things well and make the least mistakes.

I think something they do really well is optimize their camo pickups. so many other teams settle for a single kill and seem satisfied with it. Optic play extremely patient with it. Camo should not only be used for sneaky kills and movement, but also for intel. You should be able to communicate where the other team is and where they are pushing.

Slayer isn't a good gametype, but not because Objectives require more skill.

Slayer isn't a good gametype because it doesn't encourage movement.  It can be incredibly tense to watch and creates great moments for spectators, but in terms of proving which is the better team, Slayer is shit.  When you have a lead (or a small deficit and power weapons), the game grinds to a halt.  The team with the advantage has a much easier time increasing that advantage, whether it be by using rockets to secure more rockets (Coli, Eden), or by just being able to move the Sniper rifle around and get picks (Coli, Rig, Eden, Plaza) while more or less being unpressured, because your opponents can't risk giving up free deaths to your power weapon and losing the lead / getting further behind.

If you have a good opening and secure power weapons, you don't have to put as much effort in proving you're the better team in a Slayer than you do in Objective (setting up to use power weapons to actually score, rather than just getting kills with them, which is the score.)

Further, the way you win a Slayer game is not, as most people think, by getting kills.  The team that wins a Slayer game could have 0 kills, so long as the opponent has 1 death (0 to -1 is possible, albeit incredibly unlikely.)  The goal in Slayer is to avoid death.

That said, Slayer is still a core part of the Halo experience and great for both spectating and encouraging worse players into continuing to play and compete (since they can actually win games on it.  :kappa: )

It seems as if most of your issues are with power weapons on slayer rather than the game mode itself

• Upvote (+1) 1

Shotzzy - The Sniper play he made on Plaza TS took balls the size of a Halo 5 Content Update. He is 100% the real deal.

Up vote for this alone.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It seems as if most of your issues are with power weapons on slayer rather than the game mode itself

Seems like the issues he has with slayer in H5 is H5.

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 4

Slayer is great, but i think a series being 2 CTF + 2 SH + Slayer would be best. Leave it to game 5. I quite enjoy that fact that it's in though, and don't think it should be removed, ie Str8 vs Inconceivable

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was actually planning on going to midnight EST but alright.

Your constructive posts are too good that it bothers me.