CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So is Vegas on March 3rd the next event we'll see these teams at?

in the meantime

• Jan 28 – Online Qualifier #1
  • Feb 4 – Online Qualifier #2
  • Feb 11 – Online Qualifier #3
  • Feb 18 – Online Qualifier #4
  • Feb 25 – Online Qualifier #5

The stories and matches that came out of this weekend were incredible. Team Liquid absolutely demolished, and I'm definitely a new fan. I really enjoy seeing a 3rd and 4th team that can contend with the likes of Optic and nV, though I suspect both of those will remain on top come Vegas.

After some of the best Halo in Halo 5 has come to a close, all I feel is

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

Because we hate ourselves. To avoid such posts in the future, we should all make an attempt to be at peace with ourselves and our minds.

You guys are good people who should pursue fulfillment and satisfaction with your lives. People care about you, and want you to succeed.

tumblr_inline_mwfo0aqf261qiw26m.gif?w=72

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there something you want to talk about, friend?

your non-shitposting is vomit-inducing i think is what he's trying to say.

i have to say, i agree. this is disgusting to watch

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

FantasyHCS update - working w/ UGC to get stats from the event. Should be in the next day or two, hang tight  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 5

I dont think this roster would be better w/o Shooter, just saying I'd think it'd be good fun to see 4 young slayers go at it, thats all :)

It would be great to see a young squad full of up and coming players but if they got rid of Shooter, that team would undoubtedly get worse. He holds a lot of respect from the players and during scrims, he is the one organizing the team. Without him, it would be chaos.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thoughts on this weekend from a forum poster perspective (who happens to be a fan of TL):

First Place - OpTic - To me, this isn't a surprise one bit.  After Fall League, I pointed out the head-to-head between OpTic and EnVy was a 9-9 tie, with 3 of EnVy's wins coming from red side Rig TS.  I still felt OpTic were overall the better team on LAN and the bigger threat.  OpTic demonstrated why they are the top team this weekend by finding ways to win games that were a hair from being lost, and Snakebite cemented himself as the clutchest player around right now with play after play that kept OpTic alive in games.

Second Place - Liquid - This was a pleasant surprise for me for this tournament.  I was admittedly expecting Liquid to place 3rd, not quite being at the point where they could truly fight OpTic and EnVy yet, but they exceeded my expectations this weekend in a fantastic way.  They had severable winnable losses against OpTic and played clean games across the board against most of the rest of opponents, apart from snowballs like Renegod's Sniping on Coli TS.  This 2nd place finish is extremely encouraging for the future.  The next two months are going to be hardcore practice for TL.

Third Place - EnVyUs - EnVy very clearly struggled to be themselves this event, so I'm not overlooking them just because TL won the series in Losers bracket.  They are still a clear and present top team.  I would be shocked and appalled if they made a change after this tournament.

Fourth Place - Str8 Rippin - While you guys constantly talk about the narrative of Roy, Lunch, Contra, and Devon being LAN players... I want to stop you for a second and talk about the person who has the biggest discrepancy between online and LAN: APG.  APG was insane this weekend.  While the storyline behind them was all RENEGOD, the entire team was playing well.  I think Renegade is a better fit for that core 3 than Eco was and raises their ceiling a bit, due to his focus on power weapons (where the other 3 trail a bit).  Str8's fourth place wasn't a big surprise to me (I expected 5th, behind Inconceivables, but that series was super close, and Str8 earned their win.) but what did surprise me was how closely they played vs EnVy and Team Liquid in a LAN environment.

Fifth/Sixth - Inconceivables and Evil Geniuses - Inconceivables were my pick for 4th, and their extremely close series against Str8 showed they're definitely in the same tier.  They blew Plaza TS twice with spacing issues, though, with 4 players clustering in Yard/Tram area with no one creating space for the team.  Str8's veteran uinderstanding of the game pushed them ahead.  The team's ceiling is extremely high and I think they'll continue to improve as they work together, as long as they can approach the game and each other with humility.

Evil Geniuses to me are solidified in 6th place, being better than both 7/8 teams and worse than the 6 teams ahead of them.  Their gameplay is sloppy and, though they create opportunities with extremely aggressive plays and individual skill, their understanding of Halo 5 as a whole seems behind the 5 teams ahead of them.  I don't think they'll crack top 4 without an epiphany revolutionizing their view of the game.

Seventh/Eighth - Allegiance and Luminosity - Allegiance ran into some difficult brackets, facing Str8 and Inconceivables.  I think Allegiance have a better chance versus EnVy and Team Liquid with their playstyle of constant pressure and aggressive play but will consistently struggle against OpTic, Inconceivables, and Str8 Rippin.  I think they have a ton of skill on this roster, but chemistry-wise, the pair of Danoxide and Suspector clash in playstyle and hold the roster back.  I think they finished below their ceiling in this event.

Luminosity placed about as expected.  Trippey's nosebleed was unfortunate, but even with the discomfort it probably caused, I don't think this roster has the players necessary to contest the top 4 right now.

Top Player Stories:

Snakebite - Seriously the most clutch player in the league right now.

Rayne - Listen-ins showed he has stepped up as a vocal leader and shotcaller of a team and Liquid played with poise and direction.

Penguin - Clutch, game-saving plays himself and some just generally fantastic shots.  Also best FaceCam NA.

APG - Stepped up huge in the Inconceivables game 5 and played out of his mind this weekend.

Renegade - Renegod.  Not only won the FFA tournament, but had huge games for Str8 Rippin all weekend.  His 7-15 in the Plaza TS Game 5 vs Inconceivables got overlooked for Shooter's underperformance that game, but he still showed himself to be the power weapon slayer Str8 Rippin needs to succeed.

Shotzzy - The Sniper play he made on Plaza TS took balls the size of a Halo 5 Content Update.  He is 100% the real deal.

Pistola - Unfortunately on this list for a negative... A Wizard is never late, they arrive precisely when they mean to.  But this Wizard did not seem to arrive at UGC St. Louis.  I expect he will be back for Vegas.

Blaze/Tizoxic - Took down a pro seed team on LAN.  They're still alive, boys.

Burton - Sickest burn of the weekend, when he said "I want to be able to tell Pnda, you're coaching me at Worlds this year!"

FearItself - Still alive as well, and he made it out of Open!  Denied Bunniesz's team the opportunity.  Only lost to Set to Destroy, Liquid, and EG.

.......................Meanwhile at Pnda gaming..................

oRPWr2v.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4

Fourth Place - Str8 Rippin -  Str8's fourth place wasn't a big surprise to me (I expected 5th, behind Inconceivables, but that series was super close, and Str8 earned their win.) but what did surprise me was how closely they played vs EnVy and Team Liquid in a LAN environment.

Evil Geniuses to me are solidified in 6th place, being better than both 7/8 teams and worse than the 6 teams ahead of them.  Their gameplay is sloppy and, though they create opportunities with extremely aggressive plays and individual skill, their understanding of Halo 5 as a whole seems behind the 5 teams ahead of them.  I don't think they'll crack top 4 without an epiphany revolutionizing their view of the game.

EG played Liquid tougher than Str8 did, but don't get any credit for it, while youre impressed with what Str8 did vs Liquid :thinking:

EG played Liquid tougher than Str8 did, but don't get any credit for it, while youre impressed with what Str8 did vs Liquid :thinking:

Gametypes.

EG played TL in double flag series, Str8 played TL in double SH series.

EG and Str8 both only won a TS against TL, and Str8 won their TS by 16, compared to EG winning by 1.

But in BW the game was so hard mechanically that strategy wasnt that important, you couldnt beat Flash even if you knew what he was going to do. Flash won championships by out multitasking his opponent.

Actually it's interesting, it got to the point where other teams were analyzing VoDs and noticing that Flash would occasionally have a particular area undetected by missile turrets on a map, and their players would build strategies based around finding these tiny holes in Flash's game (based on VoDs), but Flash generally beat them all anyway.  Flash's APM (multitasking) was actually a bit lower than Nada's or Jaedong's, but his "star sense" (intuitive understanding of the game) really pushed him into the top.

I also wonder how much listening to scrim comms really helps Halo teams now ...?  Maybe some analysts/coaches could weigh in, as I'm not really seeing it (in non-Halo games it seems more likely to help).

Hard to watch NV go down like that, but hopefully it means that they will have extra motivation moving forward. It was imperative from the first scrimmage that Mikwen needed to be at the top of his game to get NV to the top-tier, and while it's not solely his fault that NV lost, it was clear his disposition wasn't helping. 

That being said, I don't think it's appropriate or constructive for people to say that Mikwen should be dropped; to me that notion is ridiculous. 

I highly doubt they would make a change. Also who plays anything like Mikwen but better? So it would completely change the team if he got dropped.

Luminosity placed about as expected.  Trippey's nosebleed was unfortunate, but even with the discomfort it probably caused, I don't think this roster has the players necessary to contest the top 4 right now.

:mj:

Looking back at the power rankings it's a pleasant surprise to see how wrong we were.

at least we got pandas placement right

At least you were unanimously wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 2

FearItself - Still alive as well, and he made it out of Open!  Denied Bunniesz's team the opportunity.

Fear in that series played the best I've seen him play in H5. He might actually be back this time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

At least you were unanimously wrong.

or unanimously correct if you look at it from Pandas pov  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 4