CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Besides the Pro teams( I'm including Alg and Inc minus Pnda) i think Earthroot and SetToDestroy are the best teams. I don't think they can take out ALG or Luminosity, who finished 7/8, but should finish top 10 and ahead of Pnda. 

Edit: at vegas

This doesnt make sense . They had the same tools everybody had.

But everyone had less tools back then. So if someone figured something out that other teams hadn't, the only way a team could learn it was during playing that team.

For those talking about Final Boss' dominance, a hypothetical:

Do you think FB would've won as many tournaments and been the only team (or one of two teams) on top if Halo 2 had Theatre mode for reviewing film and if players streamed so you could hear teams' communication back then?

They probably wouldn't have been as dominant, but they still would have been the best team. Communication was way different back then so I don't think it that would have made as big a difference as it does now.

I have zero experience running a televised production and have no idea how plausible this is, but here's how running an open should work in my mind.

The Open bracket is run on feature station (occasionally) and side stations only. The feature station would be equipped with player cams. And would get a casting crew during compelling matchups. The Feature station would get a permanent B-stream.

This Open side of the tourney would KEEP IT MOVING. No pausing a leg of the bracket for broadcasting considerations. It could probably be done on friday night/early sat if handled this way and with enough side stations.

The 8 teams qualified for championship would do pool play friday-sat morning. These matches would be primarily on mainstage and feature stations, but might get flexed off of a feature station if there is a good enough AM matchup. Its just 12 matches across two streams so it really shouldn't take that long. TV time-outs would be scheduled.

During intermissions on the mainstream, you'd air the feature station match instead of looping hw2 ads and warzone montages. Also, During key AM matchups (like ALG v INC), you'd air the feature station on the main stream with commentary.

Early saturday you'd start the champ bracket, and should be able to finish Sunday afternoon with most matches getting streamed (either on the main stream or B-stream)

What would the pool play be for? Seeding? The Pros said at Orange county that they didn't like it and it was a waste of time and should just go off pro league seeds. In know there's no pro league but that's what the weekly seeding qualifiers are for. Agree with the rest though. 

i hope dreamhack tells 343 to back the fuck off production

Why do you think this was 343's fault?  I was watching Jimbo's stream Saturday morning and Onset was there and he said 343 had literally nothing to do with the production issues.  The production and equipment was provided entirely by the tournament host. 

But everyone had less tools back then. So if someone figured something out that other teams hadn't, the only way a team could learn it was during playing that team.

They had a LAN every month back then, and they could watch the MLG broadcast. 

Although production was trash, it was a ton of fun to watch and had some of the best series in H5. I can't wait for Vegas and hope it's even bigger and better. 

:weback:  :simms:

return of the GOAT

Why do you think this was 343's fault?  I was watching Jimbo's stream Saturday morning and Onset was there and he said 343 had literally nothing to do with the production issues.  The production and equipment was provided entirely by the tournament host. 

Don't get in the way of the circlejerk. People like to forget that the last UGC had similar issues to this one, just not as many.

They had a LAN every month back then, and they could watch the MLG broadcast. 

Much, much less robust tools for reviewing gameplay than watching streams or Theatre mode.

They probably wouldn't have been as dominant, but they still would have been the best team. Communication was way different back then so I don't think it that would have made as big a difference as it does now.

The argument isn't that they'd be worse, but that other teams would've been better -- since those who would put in the effort would have tools to help them "catch up" to Final Boss more easily in terms of game knowledge.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This listen in sounds like when Bruce Almighty hears everyone in the world praying 

Just wanted to say this was probably my favorite post of the weekend.

ICYMI:

• Upvote (+1) 7

Don't get in the way of the circlejerk. People like to forget that the last UGC had similar issues to this one, just not as many.

UGC is SOLEY Accountable. 

Anyone saying otherwise was l;ikely involved and trying to cover up their mess own mess, or is trying to deflect the criticism away from a friend.

The production team should be ashamed of their display.

Pathetic 

Any positives that came from the tournament was in spite of the production team, not because of it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Why do people think this roster would place better without Shooter. He is mainly a support player and the other 3 are majority slayers. I'm no analyst but I feel without him they may not do as well as they did (especially replacing him with another slayer in Renegade)

I dont think this roster would be better w/o Shooter, just saying I'd think it'd be good fun to see 4 young slayers go at it, thats all :) 

Agreed. Honestly this event was amazing for casting and gameplay but holy shit the production was bad. Makes me sad because I actually vouched for UGC after the success of their independent "LAN" a few months ago when some guy on r/halo was bashing them. Hard to do that now, even if 343 did take over production, they still let the UGC logo be all over the place and their reputation tarnished.

Edit: Redacting my critique.  See @@FrankieFourShot's post below.

I have zero experience running a televised production and have no idea how plausible this is, but here's how running an open should work in my mind.

The Open bracket is run on feature station (occasionally) and side stations only. The feature station would be equipped with player cams. And would get a casting crew during compelling matchups. The Feature station would get a permanent B-stream.

This Open side of the tourney would KEEP IT MOVING. No pausing a leg of the bracket for broadcasting considerations. It could probably be done on friday night/early sat if handled this way and with enough side stations.

The 8 teams qualified for championship would do pool play friday-sat morning. These matches would be primarily on mainstage and feature stations, but might get flexed off of a feature station if there is a good enough AM matchup. Its just 12 matches across two streams so it really shouldn't take that long. TV time-outs would be scheduled.

During intermissions on the mainstream, you'd air the feature station match instead of looping hw2 ads and warzone montages. Also, During key AM matchups (like ALG v INC), you'd air the feature station on the main stream with commentary.

Early saturday you'd start the champ bracket, and should be able to finish Sunday afternoon with most matches getting streamed (either on the main stream or B-stream)

This looks like it was straight up plagiarized from a post that @ made a while ago about possible tournament structures.  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorting this by games played

1. Primal (35)

2. Liquid (34)

3. Inconceivable (31)

4. Allegiance (27)

5. Optic (23)

5. Team Randa (23)

7. Str8 Rippin (22)

7. CE Starboys (22)

9. EnVy (21)

10. SetToDestroyX (19)

11. Velvet (18)

12. Evil Geniuses (17)

12. Earthroot (17)

14. Luminosity (13)

15. Pnda (11)

Huge shout out to Primal - Kourages, Mr Alpha, Jaxx, and Tucker the Tank.  After facing Allegiance in WR2 of Open, they dropped to LR1 and climbed all the way out of Open Bracket from there...giving them the most games played in the weekend.  The teams they lost a series to: Allegiance, OpTic, Pnda.

• Upvote (+1) 9

This listen in sounds like when Bruce Almighty hears everyone in the world praying 

GET YOUR MOVIE FACTS RIGHT, HE ONLY HEARD THE PEOPLE IN HIS NEIGHBORHOOD.

(Still sick reference)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I think that Fall Finals was a fluke, and NV cant hang with Liquid and OpTic, they need a roster change.

Can't tell if serious.  If so, please tell me so i can neg.

or that's just when started to personally decline which made everyone else feel a lot better than they were previously.

you realize OG2 was on a dominant team in Reach as well, right ...?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Production issues aside, when St8 won that game 5 overtime slayer and the camera shifted from the player pov to the tournament floor cam, that might have been the most hype I ever been while watching halo.

That should be a standard broadcast feature at the close of every series.  The fact that it was a side stage clad in chain link fencing gave it an underground fight club aura.

I think they did something similar for Worlds.  I recall somebody's sig is the allegiance reactions after winning both the renegades series and elevate series.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Much, much less robust tools for reviewing gameplay than watching streams or Theatre mode.

The argument isn't that they'd be worse, but that other teams would've been better -- since those who would put in the effort would have tools to help them "catch up" to Final Boss more easily in terms of game knowledge.

similar to Brood War in 2004-2009, teams couldn't watch replays or keep replays from tournaments, and of course practice wasn't streamed; they'd have to carefully analyze VoD but even there you don't see first-person views in most cases ... the top players were harder to figure out

I understand the argument, I just don't think knowing the communication would have mattered as much as it does now. Comms were very different at the time as compared to now due to a lack of microphones. Theater would have been more useful, but Final Boss were just the most talented team and theater would have helped them improve as well.