CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So who's replacing Mikwen for Vegas? My money's on Penguin or a returning Rayne.

uhhhh... nobody??  Lets overreact to a 3rd place finish at once of the most competitive LAN events yet.  That sounds like a great idea.

Also who do we talk to about production?

I'm not even going to touch on the audio issues (Im just going to pretend the guy hired for the job, called in sick,and they asked an audience member to fill in)

What repeatedly keeps the stream/gameplay from starting on time?

Why weren't we having feature station streams all along?

Why couldn't we get player names on the mainstage until today? It's just 8 players at a time

Why can't we get more varied commercials/content during downtime? I legit want HW2 LESS than i did before this tournament.

Why is there so much downtime? When mainstage is in transition, go to a feature station... even if it wasn't commentated it would be better than what we've been getting.

Then there were some questionable decisions made when choosing which games to stream. IIRC we watched optic destroy and AM team while more interesting matches were on . We also missed a "pro team" get eliminated on during downtime in the stream. Unacceptable really.

All of this.  For downtime, just switch to a side station and put a message on the overlay.  You don't even need talent on the cast.  just someone to switch views to whomever has a power weapon in their hand.

In all fairness, the downtime was cut down by far in the last half of the day.

True, but i would only praise them for this if it happened the last half of day one or starting day 2 to give them time to get the tech shit sorted out overnight.

CS:GO

LoL

Heros of the storm

And summit1G were all streaming at the same time

Worlds we will hit over 40k [i hope]

Worlds got 100k last year.  If it doesn't get over that this year, i would be very disappointed.  This may be a pipe dream, but I wont be happy unless we hit 120k and its at MLG in Columbus.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Last World's was almost 100k. Season 2 finals hit 40k. If we can't get close to 100k for another Worlds then everyone involved needs to be fired and replaced with someone who actually knows what they're doing. There is no excuse for us not to be moving forward with the amount of money in the scene right now.

Im hoping vegas pushes 40-50 and mystery finals reaches that 100 mark. With the unbearable first 2 days and all the competition, im pretty happy that an event that had no bearing on worlds except for mystery seeding points did this well.

As for scheduling, does anyone remember during mlg days how they woukd stream games fairly early with no announcers? Saturday morning would play some of the early losers bracket games until the casters came in for the later round matches. I wish we would do that instead of playing 3 pro games at once throughout the day

The production was SO bad, they actually missed a game on mainstage!

Literally watched casters talk while a main stage game was played!

That's just incredible....

And the audio was ass, start to finish.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i hope dreamhack tells 343 to back the fuck off production

Agreed. Honestly this event was amazing for casting and gameplay but holy shit the production was bad. Makes me sad because I actually vouched for UGC after the success of their independent "LAN" a few months ago when some guy on r/halo was bashing them. Hard to do that now, even if 343 did take over production, they still let the UGC logo be all over the place and their reputation tarnished.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have zero experience running a televised production and have no idea how plausible this is, but here's how running an open should work in my mind.

The Open bracket is run on feature station (occasionally) and side stations only. The feature station would be equipped with player cams. And would get a casting crew during compelling matchups. The Feature station would get a permanent B-stream.

This Open side of the tourney would KEEP IT MOVING. No pausing a leg of the bracket for broadcasting considerations. It could probably be done on friday night/early sat if handled this way and with enough side stations.

The 8 teams qualified for championship would do pool play friday-sat morning. These matches would be primarily on mainstage and feature stations, but might get flexed off of a feature station if there is a good enough AM matchup. Its just 12 matches across two streams so it really shouldn't take that long. TV time-outs would be scheduled.

During intermissions on the mainstream, you'd air the feature station match instead of looping hw2 ads and warzone montages. Also, During key AM matchups (like ALG v INC), you'd air the feature station on the main stream with commentary.

Early saturday you'd start the champ bracket, and should be able to finish Sunday afternoon with most matches getting streamed (either on the main stream or B-stream)

• Upvote (+1) 3

So Optic and nV are basically Final Boss and Carbon with how their rivalry is?

Optic - FB

nV - Carbon 

Liquid - tD

Str8 - Str8

That's how I sort of see it, sort of a weird mashup

Last World's was almost 100k. Season 2 finals hit 40k. If we can't get close to 100k for another Worlds then everyone involved needs to be fired and replaced with someone who actually knows what they're doing. There is no excuse for us not to be moving forward with the amount of money in the scene right now.

That is an unrealistic expectation. The popularity of the actual game is dying out as we get further and further from launch. No matter what event organisers do that is going to affect event viewership. People who don't play a game are infinitely less likely to be interested in watching said game be played.

The fact that it was a $2.5 million tournament definitely brought more hype so I would expect less people. That saying, I want to see more than 100k

i sorted recent events viewership so we could look at it

sorted by peak viewers

evPyKJm.png

sorted by average

e5paVS4.png

Thanks for doing this. I've wondered for about a year what the viewership was like for regionals and worlds. How did you get these numbers? (Also, Summit streamed H5 PC once and had constant 8k viewers. Just thought to add as you put the other twitch streamer)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Optic - FB

nV - Carbon 

Liquid - tD

Str8 - Str8

That's how I sort of see it, sort of a weird mashup

I think that Fall Finals was a fluke, and NV cant hang with Liquid and OpTic, they need a roster change.

• Downvote (-1) 12

So the current point standings for Vegas SHOULD be:

1. Optic (16-7)

2. Liquid (20-14)

3. EnVy (13-8)

4. Str8 Rippin (13-9)

5. Inconceivable (13-8)

6. Evil Geniuses (11-6)

7. Allegiance (8-6)

8. Luminosity (6-7)

---

9. Pnda (5-6)

10. Team Randa (3-6)

10. Velvet (3-6)

12. SetToDestroyX (3-7)

---

13. Earthroot (1-6)

14. CE Starboys (0-6)

14. Primal (0-6)

*Notes:*

- Inconceivable has a worse map%, but more map wins. Also won the H2H 3-1 vs EG. Not sure how ESL will give the tiebreaker.

- Randa/Velvet both had "3-0" byes. Not sure if those count. If they don't, SetToDestroyX would be 10th alone.

@@Vivi @@Timo

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm just excited the finals finished at 12:15am EST.

lol I feel like shit at work today. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

So much amazing halo was played this weekend. I neglected so much work I may get fired. But i dont even care. Worlds is going to be intense!

As for the production, technical issues I can forgive. But the boring downtime is unacceptable. They brought Legion out and barely used him. Just give the dude a camera and a mic and let him wander around and film stuff other than interviewing a few players. I guarantee he will generate much more interesting content than looking at a forged pelican that "has actual seats!"

Edit: I a word.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Somewhat OT but here it goes:

Walshy made a comment on Saturday about how this CLG/OpTic team not being one of the great Halo teams ever and that they have to win more before they are on that level.

Over the span of the last 12 months they've (OpTic) won 5 out 7 events, with the 2 others being loses in game 7s of grand finals. Funny enough 2007 Finals Boss won 5 out of 7, with 2 second place finishes.

Not to make this debate between those specific teams/rosters, but to say that they should be in the discussion for greatest ever team.

the difference is that FB was dominant from 2005-2007 (except for the end of 2006), not just 2007

the difference is that FB was dominant from 2005-2007 (except for the end of 2006), not just 2007

Plus FB was good when Halo was relevant and millions played it

• Upvote (+1) 1

Plus FB was good when Halo was relevant and millions played it

OG2 himself said that the player pool didn't get really good until the last year of H3 ... yes, a ton of people were playing, but the top 8 / top 16 really wasn't as stacked then.  If you look at the H2 finals in 2007, a lot of the players on those teams were not exactly household names lol.    

OG2 himself said that the player pool didn't get really good until the last year of H3 ... yes, a ton of people were playing, but the top 8 / top 16 really wasn't as stacked then. If you look at the H2 finals in 2007, a lot of the players on those teams were not exactly household names lol.

or that's just when started to personally decline which made everyone else feel a lot better than they were previously.

• Downvote (-1) 3

For those talking about Final Boss' dominance, a hypothetical:

Do you think FB would've won as many tournaments and been the only team (or one of two teams) on top if Halo 2 had Theatre mode for reviewing film and if players streamed so you could hear teams' communication back then?

• Upvote (+1) 6

For those talking about Final Boss' dominance, a hypothetical:

Do you think FB would've won as many tournaments and been the only team (or one of two teams) on top if Halo 2 had Theatre mode for reviewing film and if players streamed so you could hear teams' communication back then?

This doesnt make sense . They had the same tools everybody had.