CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Somewhat OT but here it goes:

Walshy made a comment on Saturday about how this CLG/OpTic team not being one of the great Halo teams ever and that they have to win more before they are on that level.

Over the span of the last 12 months they've (OpTic) won 5 out 7 events, with the 2 others being loses in game 7s of grand finals. Funny enough 2007 Finals Boss won 5 out of 7, with 2 second place finishes.

Not to make this debate between those specific teams/rosters, but to say that they should be in the discussion for greatest ever team.

To be fair, when people talk about FB they're also referring to Team 3D and STK (same roster except one change). This makes it 23 wins and 6 losses over just over 3 years [info got from esportswiki]

With he amount OpTic/CLG have won, they can be better compared to a H2A EG or Reach Instinct which are still some of the very best.

*Disclaimer: I was not watching halo before h5 and everything I've said is what I've learnt in that time

• Upvote (+1) 6

May have been mentioned already, idk, but stat I found interesting.

Liquid this weekend: 

5-7 (42%) in Slayers

15-6 (72%) in all OBJs

You figure (I may be wrong) that OBJs are the harder games to win, given that Liquid is already playing them extremely well, once they figure out their Slayers I don't think it'd be that crazy of a thought to think they could hang with OG/nV for quite some time, maybe even pass em up. 

btw I'd absolutely love to see Inconceivable stay together and completely dominate the scene in up to a couple years time maybe. 

and I love Str8 but if Renegade was to join bubu + Falcated + Shotzzy, yung gods. 

@@Heinz you've always been a great glue/support player, and this weekend you've shown how great a player you are in your own right. I'm immensely impressed with you. Crazy that you considered retiring when you're that good at what you do. If you ever think about retiring again because of roster chaos or anything, remember the good times and don't break up with us please <3

I bought the GOAT shirt from beyond when the site first came out. Now Str8's won my heart. Which hoodie should I get? :ace::beyond:

https://shop.str8rippin.com/collections/all

• Upvote (+1) 4

Im impressed with fearitself joining a squad on friday and making top 12

Top 16, but yeah, impressive nonetheless. I always figured FIS would be one of those guys who quit as soon as he stopped placing top 4, so props to him for keeping at it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I hope str8 sticks together

Definitely. They don't really have a reason to split, they did incredibly well for a team that was together for a week. I was way off, Renegade is not a downgrade from Eco. In fact, nearly all of my predictions were off. And I love it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Definitely. They don't really have a reason to split, they did incredibly well for a team that was together for a week. I was way off, Renegade is not a downgrade from Eco. In fact, nearly all of my predictions were off. And I love it.

This top 8 is so good it unbelievable especially since most of them were formed only a couple of weeks ago. If they put in the time for practice, we could see the tightest worlds yet

• Upvote (+1) 2

It was...but that's how the whole tourney should have been, Tbh

I don't understand why they wouldn't just switch to observer mode on the featured station while there was no other series going on. It'd not that hard.

• Upvote (+1) 1

btw I'd absolutely love to see Inconceivable stay together and completely dominate the scene in up to a couple years time maybe. 

and I love Str8 but if Renegade was to join bubu + Falcated + Shotzzy, yung gods.

Why do people think this roster would place better without Shooter. He is mainly a support player and the other 3 are majority slayers. I'm no analyst but I feel without him they may not do as well as they did (especially replacing him with another slayer in Renegade)

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why do people think this roster would place better without Shooter. He is mainly a support player and the other 3 are majority slayers. I'm no analyst but I feel without him they may not do as well as they did (especially replacing him with another slayer in Renegade)

If they're gonna make a change it would be to drop Falcated right? I feel like he's obviously the weakest link

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm unfamiliar with the way seedings are going to be working for the next tournament, but does St Louis seed Vegas?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm unfamiliar with the way seedings are going to be working for the next tournament, but does St Louis seed Vegas?

No one knows really...

Please don't encourage him.

I've been withholding praise to make him try harder.

with that attitude, a bright future as anything with "Manager" in the job title awaits you... ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

One final update from @@Tashi about the event on r/Halo.

Hey everyone, I hope you all enjoyed today's show. There were definitely still some issues and hiccups but I think the UGC team finally found a flow. I also jumped in the production line to help out. We were pretty fortunate to have all of the amazing matches that we had today. I can't believe how competitive the scene has gotten in recent months. The Halo World Championship Finals are going to be incredible. Going to grab some food with the team now but don't hesitate to leave any feedback (aside from obvious yet unacceptable tech issues), I'll be reading through later when I arrive back in the studio.

Hope you got some good REQs too haha

• Upvote (+1) 4

Better way to say it:

From August 22nd, 2004 up until June 15th 2008, there was a team with the Ogres and Walshy on it that accumulated:

28 first place finishes

6 second place finishes

no lower placings

That level of dynasty is a lonnnggg way off.

That's because there were so many events with little 3000 dollar prize pools back then rather than the few a year we get now.

• Downvote (-1) 6

the games were awesome, the production was obviously terrible. pretty happy overall. 

Halo 5 has so much potential it's cool to see how good these teams are now. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Pretty good viewership considering how terrible the production was. There were several other tournaments going on at the same time too

• Upvote (+1) 5

Pretty good viewership considering how terrible the production was. There were several other tournaments going on at the same time too

CS:GO

LoL

Heros of the storm

And summit1G were all streaming at the same time

Worlds we will hit over 40k [i hope]

That's because there were so many events with little 3000 dollar prize pools back then rather than the few a year we get now.

So...? I genuinely don't understand your point. It's true that it isn't fair to Optic that there are fewer tournaments now and that we can't have an equal comparison, but just elevating Optic up to that level when they simply *haven't* done the same accomplishments that Final Boss did doesn't seem fair to Final Boss either.

Given how close the competition was this weekend (tons and tons of series taken to the distance), I personally have a difficult time believing that if there were as many events in 2017 as there were in the H2 days, that Optic would show the same dominance.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So...? I genuinely don't understand your point. It's true that it isn't fair to Optic that there are fewer tournaments now and that we can't have an equal comparison, but just elevating Optic up to that level when they simply *haven't* done the same accomplishments that Final Boss did doesn't seem fair to Final Boss either.

Given how close the competition was this weekend (tons and tons of series taken to the distance), I personally have a difficult time believing that if there were as many events in 2017 as there were in the H2 days, that Optic would show the same dominance.

One could argue that Optic's accomplishments in Halo 5 are the modern day equivalent of a season or two of early Final Boss dominance.

You can't compare their résumés directly because FB played in an era where there was a major event every 3 weeks for a while, while CLG/Optic's era is online-propelled with a handful of big LAN events sprinkled in. Optic could literally never lose a match and it'd still take an unreasonably long amount of time for them to copy FB's accolades in the current system.

And besides, for a lot of those early events, a lot of pro teams didn't even bother showing up unless they needed the points to qualify for Nationals, so FB won a good amount of events beating lower tier teams.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2