CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Great, we are going to be the top post on r/cringe now.

This is what has to happen when 343 can't fix H5 PC. It's advertisement.

Because they ran into Inconceivable early in the seeding tourny and lost. If they'd won INC would be the 9 seed and we'd be in the same spot right now.

That's really annoying

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's been 4 hours since the tournament started. We've seen a total of 9 games across 3 series. This schedule is making Pro League look reasonable.

Edit: Holy shit, this is ahead of their schedule. They're showing a series every hour and a half. We'll get to see a grand total of six series in 8 hours today if they meet their very demanding schedule.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Guy didn't really had a chance to cast properly yet though. Would have been different if he wasn't half muted and had proper gamertags and better casting combo. Strongside is pretty much pulling down any caster most of the time. I still think he showed the talent and that it isn't only about him having a good voice.

I have heard him cast before and my point still stands. Tweeting at Beyond and HCS repetitively for a chance to cast when his main driving positive is his vocal tone isn't the most appealing thing to me. I think if he had a perfect scenario he'd do fine by current Halo standards, but as I've said, I think the current standard for Halo play by play is totally misconstrued.

And I agree about Strongside, I've been saying that since H2A. He's much more suited for a social environment like an interviewer or a host. He just can't pull himself together to maintain fluidity during actual in-game commentary.

I didn't say that people might not have been stepped over for Butters to be there. I was just more commenting on how I thought he was doing. He's there, 343 has deemed that he was worthy of a chance, lets talk about how good of a job he did. I'm not here to debate whatever has prevented our fantastic TB casters from working with 343i. I'm just here to support a community member that I know and like in chasing his dream.

I never said he prevented other people from getting in the booth. Everyone deserves a shot, I just don't think 343 should jump the gun so quickly.

Agreed on Clicked, but all my memories of Frank at live events include him and u4ix kinda just casually casting. Like Legion and Joe Fries. Granted he is pretty decent during the Beyond 4v4 stuff.

When Frank takes things seriously he is one of, if no the, best play by play casters in Halo. He obviously is a goofball a lot of the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's been 4 hours since the tournament started. We've seen a total of 9 games across 3 series. This schedule is making Pro League look reasonable.

0ch52Gs.png

I will say I'm impressed with Butters, especially since this is his first shot at a big event. There's a ton of pressure that comes with casting and I think he handled it relatively well. A few slip ups here and there, but not being able to see gamertags and other issues probably made things difficult. As a play by caster, he's solid. Color, not so much. 

With that said. I feel like he was trying to put himself over more than anything, rather than enhancing the stream with his talent.This relates to the broadcast tonight and other events prior to this tournament. In my opinion, the caster's job is to take a back seat and let the gameplay dictate the flow and "feel" of the commentary. It's your job to assist the viewers in understanding the game, creating hype, and getting the viewers engaged with the storylines. The viewers typically tune in to watch competitive Halo, not the casters.

Maybe it's his voice. I feel that Butters is forcing a "radio" voice, which regardless of it being his natural voice or not, it's certainly a marketable trait that puts him ahead of other talent. As long as he doesn't go over the top, his voice can force a viewer to pay attention and listen to him, which is important.

My feedback might seem harsh, but I've learned over the last couple years that every single caster has their own philosophy on how to approach commentary. Some prefer a more chill, laid back approach while others want to provide an intense, more exciting broadcast. That's just one example of how talent may differ. I also believe it's best to have two distinct casters. One play by play and one color. Others prefer to have both casters jump freely from one style of casting to another. To be clear, one philosophy isn't necessarily better than another. Everyone has preferences that they work well with.

Butters has a ton of potential and I'm excited to see other amateur casters try to make their way up to the top of the talent pool. I firmly believe having a variety of talented personalities and casters will elevate everyone and make things more competitive, which will in turn force everyone to improve and ultimately enhance the end product. So props to UGC or 343 for giving emerging talent opportunities to work with competitive Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

People would be way more inclined to close the stream because of the horrendous audio quality, half transparent/bad quality facecams, excessive downtime, and no player nametags than that interview.

I understand how some people could turned off by the interview but it was nowhere near as bad as the quality of this broadcast has been.

• Upvote (+1) 7

People would be way more inclined to close the stream because of the horrendous audio quality, half transparent/bad quality facecams, excessive downtime, and no player nametags than that interview.

I understand how some people could turned off by the interview but it was nowhere near as bad as the quality of this broadcast has been.

Right, it just made it worse.

Yes, but compound all of the technical issues with a pterodactyl and you can see how people will be put off.  :simms:

Right, it just made it worse.

Better than the interviewer asking out the pro on a date ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Upvote (+1) 6

You know a tournament is busted when we're discussing ethics/morals instead of the games. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. Ninja owned up to his mistake and apologized for it. 

He was also banned for a few days. Sure it isn't cool, but that instance wasn't even related to the tweet we were talking about.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@ssbChad just because I am curious, did you know that Dan was going to do that? I personally found it hilarious and would love to see more of it but do get the counter-argument. 

• Upvote (+1) 1