CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Stasis will not be returning. 99% guarantee.

Lets hope 343 doesn't cater to the 1%

I am more tilted that Eden Slayer is still in the game to be honest

Easily my most hated map/game type to both watch and play.  Way to many PW/PU's on that map.  Any news on changes to this?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I might be optimistic but hopefully they have added the silenced AR on these maps in preparation for the ability/ shooting radar with the silencer obviously having an impact. Only way I see it making sense

• Upvote (+1) 1

When and where is the next event? I can't any info on the ESL website or halo.gg

If you go onto the HWC section of halo.gg it lists all of the dates for qualification and events/locations for each region.

I think people who expected no radar/changed radar just expected a reasonable and well thought out response to the concerns people have with Halo 5.

I think if we heard their reasoning, it would only trigger us more. It's safer to just assume they don't want to drastically change the team arena playlist, because it's still popular among non esports players.

In the settings thread, quinn talked briefly about power weapon waypoints and said he felt that he didn't feel its bad to broadcast everytime a power weapon has been picked up, because it helps the other team mentally prepare.

Yeah.

If they fundamentally believe free information benefits the game competitively, any response is going to sound like utter nonsense.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I don't think we're seeing radical changes because 343 may be happy with the way the game plays.

We have slow tense moments, we have very fast frantic moments. We have ninjas, no scopes, a lot of weapon diversity, a lot of different abilities/techniques that are obvious to the viewer. We have gametypes that play very differently, we have fast gametypes like Empire strongholds and slower ones like Eden strongholds. We have maps that are a struggle to move the flag across the map (Fathom) and ones where the flag is moved around a lot (Colliseum). We have setup heavy slayers like Plaza, and fast paced rotation slayers like Rig (sometimes).

This makes a game that's very fast paced and exciting to watch. I get it, a lot of people here think that the game would be more exciting to watch/play without radar, but instead of committing to that 343 can stick with settings that they already know will produce the narrative they're hoping to drive. The first year was a lot of learning how to play the game (finding flag routes, strongholds becoming more rotation based compared to heavily set up based, movement usage), if Halo 6 was coming in 2017, perhaps the narrative of 2017 is perfecting everything learned and seeing the game pushed to the limits, then resetting the meta with Halo 6.

The storylines with the teams are already there. We have The dominant run by Optic/CLG, then nV worked up the ranks and we know can be at the top spot. Now it's a battle of the two titans over the next year. All of this potentially goes up in smoke if they remove radar and , something that most players don't actually care about. Why risk it?

By the way, I wouldn't mind seeing radar removed, or at least heavily tested. I'm just throwing out another perspective as to why removing radar may not be as obvious as we think.

Pro players tend to make halo look exciting. Remember Infamous vs Instinct in Halo Reach when it had bloom and sprint? Stuff like blaze flying over instinct players' heads to capture the flag on zealot, back and forth games, and no scopes were amazing to watch. They made one of the worst competitive halos very entertaining to watch. That's what happens with that caliber of competition. Then we got better settings and in the very first and only NBNS event we had a final match that in my opinion was even better.

Now, I'm not trying to say that H5 is anywhere near as bad as default Reach but I'm very skeptical of:

1. that the things you're mentioning would go up in smoke if we improved the settings and

2. that 343 should be happy with the game's competitive success when, as snipedown said, the viewership has been very low recently until this event (which had the advantage of the optic vs envy "juice", which isn't something you can rely on as they might not match each other in future events)

• Upvote (+1) 5

I feel like there's a lot of hyperbole about radar. Yes, the game would probably play a lot better without it. However, I think the claims that the game is unwatchable or unplayable with it are frankly ridiculous. This past weekend showed that this game can still be fantastic to watch. With all of the map changes it's going to be even better.

Yeah, it's not perfect but it's still pretty good.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I feel like there's a lot of hyperbole about radar. Yes, the game would probably play a lot better without it. However, I think the claims that the game is unwatchable or unplayable with it are frankly ridiculous. This past weekend showed that this game can still be fantastic to watch. With all of the map changes it's going to be even better.

Yeah, it's not perfect but it's still pretty good.

Yeah it could easily be better but don't worry and put up with it anyways!

??

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Imagine how much more flanking and creative plays we'd see if radar were gone? The game can only improve without it for both the players and viewers.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Anyone here arguing that radar should stay because HWC is round the corner is out of their minds. There's time, most pros want it. Stop defending bad decisions because of some ok ones.

As much as I appreciate the downvote, I was not arguing against this I was just stating that I think they won't bring it into testing with it only been weeks away.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah it could easily be better but don't worry and put up with it anyways!

??

No, as others have said before though there's a lot of really good stuff which has happened lately. The changes to the pro league, HWC announcements, map adjustments etc. There's some really positive changes here and almost everyone is focusing on the one negative.

Basically I want positive TB back, it was actually a quite an enjoyable place to come to then.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I will now talk about how you've insulted me and made me disappointed in the state of these forums.

In this next paragraph, I will continue with the same sentiment. Finally, I mention that this is the reason I don't come to these forums as often.

I have used the word toxic in one of the two paragraphs.

I'm upset it took me as long as it did to realize what you were doing. lmao

• Upvote (+1) 4

Ryanoob speaking about No Radar.

Really good video, I like his point about how good players can easily use footsteps/other sounds to listen for a flank even when radar is off, whereas with radar on everyone is just fed free information.

• Upvote (+1) 6

As much as I appreciate the downvote, I was not arguing against this I was just stating that I think they won't bring it into testing with it only been weeks away.

am i not allowed to disagree with a statement by using a tool that literally was designed to do that? 

i just think that for all the time it would take, for all the benefits it would bring, and all the happiness that would follow, why not remove it now?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Agreed 100%.  There is a real toxic, hivemind-esq, mentality in these forums where rage over something that really isn't a HUGE deal is masking any ability to see all the incredibly amazing changes been made.  Not to mention it even says IN TESTING.  So sick of crying babies who can't be rational.

"You don't agree with me so you're a crying baby who can't be rational. I'm totally not being 'toxic' by the way."

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think it has been said a few times but for what its worth, no radar. 

Please?.... With a cherry on top? I'll buy you dinner Quinn.

• Upvote (+1) 9

am i not allowed to disagree with a statement by using a tool that literally was designed to do that? 

i just think that for all the time it would take, for all the benefits it would bring, and all the happiness that would follow, why not remove it now?

The upvote/downvote system is usually not really made for I agree/disagree use. I always see it as quality posts I agree with are upvoted, and only shitposts that add nothing of quality to the conversation are downvoted. If it's an opinion I disagree with, but the post isn't complete shit, it doesn't deserve a downvote. The rep represents the quality and quantity of posts made by the user. Obviously that's changed from person to person but that's how I view it anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 3

No, as others have said before though there's a lot of really good stuff which has happened lately. The changes to the pro league, HWC announcements, map adjustments etc. There's some really positive changes here and almost everyone is focusing on the one negative.

Basically I want positive TB back, it was actually a quite an enjoyable place to come to then.

I get it but the good changes have nothing to do with this bad one. They don't justify it or make it less bad. Its not really some kind of balancing act. They can't make a change that will cause a lot of us to overlook how radar is right now. I wish it wasn't that important to some people but it is. 

Majority of pros want radar out

Majority of AMs want radar out

Majority of Casuals want radar out

i

just

dont

get

it

I see what you did there!!!!

Just trying to distract myself from the baffling result that is our new "settings." They all knew what we wanted.... what everyone wanted.... and they paraded around these "new settings" announcements knowing what we'd assume. I'm disappointed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Some of the EU seems to have taken upon itself to assume that radar is or has been removed and has started running custom lobbies no radar, when we got worlds qualification starting in literally a few weeks do people really see HWC having that? For the record I am and always will be a massive supporter and continue to push for no radar but the first online NA stuff starts January 14th, I just don't see them removing it so close to the start of the event when it will completely change the game/meta, which it will.

Whether it's a month away or not, I'd assume they'd want the HWC to have the best/most competitive settings possible. Right now it's not, and by a long ways.

• Upvote (+1) 2

my 2 cents on no radar - its a no brainer and should't even be talked about because it needed to happen shortly after we got the hang of competitive h5. why the hell are we moving backwards? it seems like we havent moved forward since h3 and its like drowning but coming up for air right as your about to lose consciousness. repeat that over and over and you gotta good idea where im at. 

as far as the competitive scene and our community, we're looking good af. we need to have a game that matches our passion! cmon 343, lets do this together. no more autos everywhere, take radar out and give us a hcs playlist

(and if its not too much trouble can i get a new map or two? ill leave cookies out)

• Upvote (+1) 7

I actually like radar and believe it actually adds a skill-gap to the game in the manipulation of it.  Without it you can sprint around more carelessly and just wait to be back smacked or back someone of your own.  That is an obvious generalization but it is the basic point of my opinion.  Opinion.

You have the right to your opinion.

I have the right to my opinion that your opinion is terrible.