CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'M BACK BABY.

I was busy with school for a pretty long time but I heard there was a storm a-brewin' and I wouldn't miss it for the world!

• Upvote (+1) 2

There is actually a big misconception with tracking weapons as people tend to believe that they 'aim for you'. While their aim assist/reticle bubbles are larger than precision weapons, they require a different layer of thinking in terms of strafing, leading shots, and spacing. Plus, the Needler is pretty weak so it isn't the end of the world.

With a well-timed thrust, you can double the amount of time it takes to get pink-misted

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'M BACK BABY.

I was busy with school for a pretty long time but I heard there was a storm a-brewin' and I wouldn't miss it for the world!

Welcome back to the milk.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

CC: @@Bxrz

The Railgun and SPNKr are actually pretty interchangeable IMO. Looks like they wanted to maintain a power weapon presence on The Rig while reducing snowball potential. If you think the Railgun is more balanced, share your feedback!

The SPNKr isn't as good as the other rocket but the rail takes way more skill. SPNKr changes the whole dynamic of the map. SPNKr sucks on a map like Eden because its a wide open map, and the rockets bad blast radius is exposed. Rig is a close range, sharp corners map. SPNKr will be good on that map.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Haven't got caught up yet but is there going to be an event sometime in the nearish future in Cali?

The 7 Horcruxes of Halo 5

1. Radar
  2. Sprint
  3. Spartan Abilities
  4. Splinter Grenade
  5. Automatic Weapons
  6. Fuel Rod on Truth
  7. No LAN support

In all honesty, with the exception of spartan charge removing the punishment of sprinting around corners, I have no issue with abilities (sprint isn't going anywhere, let's not delude ourselves). Ground pounding, outside of movement / clutch plays just leaves you as a sitting duck midair.

• Upvote (+1) 4

FINALLY!! I've been upset ever since the Needler on Regret got removed.

:thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think we're seeing radical changes because 343 may be happy with the way the game plays.

We have slow tense moments, we have very fast frantic moments. We have ninjas, no scopes, a lot of weapon diversity, a lot of different abilities/techniques that are obvious to the viewer. We have gametypes that play very differently, we have fast gametypes like Empire strongholds and slower ones like Eden strongholds. We have maps that are a struggle to move the flag across the map (Fathom) and ones where the flag is moved around a lot (Colliseum). We have setup heavy slayers like Plaza, and fast paced rotation slayers like Rig (sometimes).

This makes a game that's very fast paced and exciting to watch. I get it, a lot of people here think that the game would be more exciting to watch/play without radar, but instead of committing to that 343 can stick with settings that they already know will produce the narrative they're hoping to drive. The first year was a lot of learning how to play the game (finding flag routes, strongholds becoming more rotation based compared to heavily set up based, movement usage), if Halo 6 was coming in 2017, perhaps the narrative of 2017 is perfecting everything learned and seeing the game pushed to the limits, then resetting the meta with Halo 6.

The storylines with the teams are already there. We have The dominant run by Optic/CLG, then nV worked up the ranks and we know can be at the top spot. Now it's a battle of the two titans over the next year. All of this potentially goes up in smoke if they remove radar and , something that most players don't actually care about. Why risk it?

By the way, I wouldn't mind seeing radar removed, or at least heavily tested. I'm just throwing out another perspective as to why removing radar may not be as obvious as we think.

From someone who has always been and still is on the fence about radar, I have to say this is a fantastic post.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Snakebite and Frosty are discussing their disliking of the veto system, which gives teams the potential to ignore their weak gametypes. I can't help but agree.

Should the veto system be modified or abolished?

Maybe if the maps were actually balanced so that each team had even starts (looking at Rig and Stasis) this would be an option 

Yeah...we're literally just one change away from being full hype mode. Radar should never be used in competitive halo, no matter how bad they want it to be included.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Snakebite and Frosty are discussing their disliking of the veto system, which gives teams the potential to ignore their weak gametypes. I can't help buI t agree.

Just make the maps completely random then?

Snakebite and Frosty are discussing their disliking of the veto system, which gives teams the potential to ignore their weak gametypes. I can't help but agree.

The veto system should be modified, I don't like the "every single gametype is determined when every other option is vetoed" -- but the entire point of a veto system is so you can cover up weaknesses or attack strengths of other teams.  Expecting every team to be good at every gametype is absurd.

I'll add in this nugget from a Halo 2 National Champion

https://twitter.com/ScottGandhi/status/807439247431049216

• Upvote (+1) 4

They need to take out Stasis than. 

Stasis should never be played in a competitive setting. Ever again

I guess I'll ask the important question since nobody else wants to. What are the changes to White Cell? We gotta get that map pro league ready. 

:kappa: 

-Reduced frame rate from 60FPS to 20FPS.

White cell actually isnt too bad frame rate wise. Orion feels like less than 20fps when I'm used to 60  :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think we're seeing radical changes because 343 may be happy with the way the game plays.

We have slow tense moments, we have very fast frantic moments. We have ninjas, no scopes, a lot of weapon diversity, a lot of different abilities/techniques that are obvious to the viewer. We have gametypes that play very differently, we have fast gametypes like Empire strongholds and slower ones like Eden strongholds. We have maps that are a struggle to move the flag across the map (Fathom) and ones where the flag is moved around a lot (Colliseum). We have setup heavy slayers like Plaza, and fast paced rotation slayers like Rig (sometimes).

This makes a game that's very fast paced and exciting to watch. I get it, a lot of people here think that the game would be more exciting to watch/play without radar, but instead of committing to that 343 can stick with settings that they already know will produce the narrative they're hoping to drive. The first year was a lot of learning how to play the game (finding flag routes, strongholds becoming more rotation based compared to heavily set up based, movement usage), if Halo 6 was coming in 2017, perhaps the narrative of 2017 is perfecting everything learned and seeing the game pushed to the limits, then resetting the meta with Halo 6.

The storylines with the teams are already there. We have The dominant run by Optic/CLG, then nV worked up the ranks and we know can be at the top spot. Now it's a battle of the two titans over the next year. All of this potentially goes up in smoke if they remove radar and , something that most players don't actually care about. Why risk it?

By the way, I wouldn't mind seeing radar removed, or at least heavily tested. I'm just throwing out another perspective as to why removing radar may not be as obvious as we think.

false equivalence 101: yeah because no radar is going to magically make everyone but NV/OG better. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Got to say these settings are looking real good. Splinter grenades being removed/reduced is something I have been waiting for awhile now. Radar at least should be tested in the test playlists, at least let the people play on it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm honestly just tired of playing and watching the game with radar, flanks are just so weak in Halo 5 even with the movement you're given.

• Upvote (+1) 6

They need to take out Stasis than. 

Stasis should never be played in a competitive setting. Ever again

Stasis will not be returning. 99% guarantee.