CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Thank the lord.

I expect this post to get a 2gre upvote.

This sounds much better. Don't know if anyone remembers but I brought this up when the events/format were initially announced. See back at THIS post and the subsequent few pages where people claimed "common sense" would dictate teams would be able to compete in all LANs (which we now know would have been false). About how if teams qualify would they still be able or required to compete and if they did how would that effect teams attempting to qualify due to poor brackets. I'm just glad that we will be able to see Optic and nV more with this format then what would have happened which is they would have qualified first event and then sit around 3 months waiting to see them play another match.

it IS better. The old setup most likely would have cause problems in Vegas. And we'd be complaining that 343/ESL ran with a broken format despite getting plenty of feedback on how to fix it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thank god ESL were actually listening to feedback pro points are back and top teams aren't locked out of competing at events for simply being better then the other teams. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

The announcement regarding the new qualification format is poor.

St. Louis goes from having ACTUAL RAMIFICATIONS TOWARD QUALIFICATION to being just for seeding.

Why are we not upset about this?

Why should teams care about St. Louis now?  It just affects seeding for a double elimination tournament.

What is with 343's aversion to using Circuit Points?!  They not only would give weight to St. Louis, as the "Top 3 in St. Louis qualify" would have, but it also increases amateur interest in the events, since not placing well still allows them pride and better methods of comparison among themselves.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 7

Changing the entire format and structure of a tournament two weeks before is unacceptable regardless of what you all think. 

Isn't the format and structure for UGC the same? Still a open and champ bracket the only change is what you win. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wait...I thought that the "HCS seeding points" mentioned in the article meant that the points won at UGC event would be added to a grand total of points and the teams with the highest total points would qualify for Worlds after all the events are over with.

This should incentive teams to attend all LAN events since they should be worth significantly more points online events since LANS are worth the most poins if it's just seeding for online events/next LAN then that's not what most of us wanted the points earned from UGC could count towards the total HCS points which determine who qualifies for worlds.

@@TheSimms @@Timo @@Vivi Some clarification would be appreciated.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Happy to see that Cratos is still grinding despite the team/org situation he was dealing with.  Hoping to see him take some top AMs and push back into the top 8.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Wait...I thought that the "HCS seeding points" mentioned in the article meant like that the points won at this event would be added to a grand total and the teams with the highest total points would qualify for Worlds after all the events are over which would incentive teams to attend all LAN events since they should be worth significantly more points online events.

If it's just seeding for online events/next LAN then that's not what most of us wanted the points earned from UGC could count towards the total HCS points which determine who qualifies. 

@@TheSimms @@Timo @@Vivi Some clarification would be appreciated.

The article says the Top 6 finishers at Vegas, not the teams with the 6 highest point values after Vegas.

You act like he did something to you personally. Plus dont you know everyone hates Spartan now?

Was a joke. Honestly didn't know who they were running with at the time. Oh well. Thanks for the double neg.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You act like he did something to you personally. Plus dont you know everyone hates Spartan now?

He DID do something to me personally. He said things to other people which made ME angry.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

The article says the Top 6 finishers at Vegas, not the teams with the 6 highest point values after Vegas.

Then this pretty much devalues UGC LAN event if the HCS points are only used for seeding purposes instead of being used to determine who qualifies for worlds hopefully it's not too late for format changes.

@@TheSimms @@Vivi @@Timo

I agree with that. The way it is written seems to imply that St. Louis gives HCS points. That will help determine seeds into Online events which will also have HCS points. All those HCS points will feed into Las Vegas. However the way the announcement is written is that the teams that qualify will be determined by the top 6 teams PLACEMENT at Las Vegas. That it will serve as the "qualifier" for the NA region.

For Las Vegas, the Top 6 teams (previously Top 3) will now be qualified directly to the Halo World Championship Finals, as that championship bracket will serve as the region’s main qualifier. 

If that is indeed the case, and it isn't based on cumulative points at the end of Las Vegas then I think that should be different. I prefer a slightly varied approach to the original HWC when MLG ran it.

I hope the new format means a points event at PAX East. I just renewed my passport and I won't leave Boston happy without watching some live Halo. 

The announcement regarding the new qualification format is poor.

St. Louis goes from having ACTUAL RAMIFICATIONS TOWARD QUALIFICATION to being just for seeding.

Why are we not upset about this?

Why should teams care about St. Louis now? It just affects seeding for a double elimination tournament.

What is with 343's aversion to using Circuit Points?! They not only would give weight to St. Louis, as the "Top 3 in St. Louis qualify" would have, but it also increases amateur interest in the events, since not placing well still allows them pride and better methods of comparison among themselves.

I thought they said that this tournament give points to teams that go towards qualification. Under the old system, the top 3 qualifers couldnt compete again until finals. If im reading this right it should be better. And 50k isnt bad either. Im hoping that the top 6 at vegas is a typo for top 6 after vegas. This is 343 so something has to always go wrong

If i'm not mistaken, Pro League teams are automatically placed in the Championship bracket for both St. Louis & Vegas. Although it's not likely, what would happen if an amateur team accrues more HCS points than a Pro League team?  

I thought they said that this tournament give points to teams that go towards qualification. Unfer the old system, the top 3 qualifers couldnt compete again until finals. If im reading this right it should be better. And 50k isnt bad either

It gives seeding points.  SEEDING.

It has no bearing on the rest of everything else.

For Las Vegas, the Top 6 teams (previously Top 3) will now be qualified directly to the Halo World Championship Finals, as that championship bracket will serve as the region’s main qualifier. To reiterate, while no direct spots will be awarded in St. Louis, there is $50,000 up for grabs along with the HCS points.

Ok when you put it that way, this is still pretty stubborn on 343/ESL part then.

Still finishing top 6 at St Louis puts teams in a better position to place top 6 at Vegas, with no chance of qualified teams busting Vegas brackets.its (slightly) better, But a basic Pro Points would have been perfect.

some further clarification is needed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It gives seeding points. SEEDING.

It has no bearing on the rest of everything else.

Yeah i edited my post after seeing that. Im hoping that its poor wording for placement for finals. Again its 343, so theres always a broken element to their work

It's still an event that has a 50k prize pool that helps you get to Worlds and another chance to compete to show you are the best...

• Upvote (+1) 4