CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I go back and forth, players should stream but Halo 4, MCC, and even Halo 5 aren't the most watchable games compared to the original trilogy. I'd love for top players that take it seriously to have a set streaming schedule, but it's hard to fault them after the recent titles. I get there are tourneys, but these titles didn't have the fun social atmosphere of Bungie games.

Halo struck gold at the wrong time with their titles, Youtube, Twitch (formerly JustinTV) and even major social media outlets came after the Halo series started to become the Sonic of shooters.

Halo was a gaming culture phenomenon...

We had so much potential....

• Upvote (+1) 4

We could have been on COD or CSGO position...

I dont even stream that much and interacting with a smaller amount of viewers can get exhausting after several hours. I can't imagine 200+ people in chat aswell as playing this game at the highest level.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Actually makes me sad when I think about where we were, where we are and where we could/should have been

• Upvote (+1) 5

Also the best way to crush your love of something is to be forced to do it for a living; pro surfers often talk about how surfing for a salary completely ruined the joy of it for them.  And I guarantee that, apart from the most hyper-competitive personalities in the Halo scene, being forced to grind Halo for a living has ruined the joy of playing the game.

Don't really agree with this. I am involved in professional sports and was in college at the highest level. Most of the guys at the top have passion you can't even make up. Do some of them eventually loath the sport? Yes, But putting in the ammount of work that pro Halo players/ professional athletes does not come without a love for the game. If that love goes away, they usually retire or dwindle away. But you used "Hyper competetive" as the ones that do grind and love it. But I would argue you can't get into the pro league or any professional sports organization without being hyper competitive. Would guess most Pro Halo players still love Halo and love putting the work in. Ive had to and have seen friends make alot of sacrafices for sports the last 10 years of my life but most will say it was worth it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It all just starts back from H4/MCC, the hype just isn't there anymore. Even though we got Worlds I just can bring myself to get excited for it. I live 40 mins from UGC St. Louis and bought 3 of my friends H5 hoping to compete for fun and cant even get them to open the box. They're to stuck on the Cod remaster or League of Legends  :(

What do you mean? Clearly radar, AR starts, and multiple other autos are the peak of halo's potential. If you look back to h1, h2, and h3 then you're clearly just blinded by nostalgia.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Unlikely.

Xbox only vs multiplatform/PC.

You can make all the excuses you want, but it doesn't mean much when Halo isn't even relevant on its ONE platform. Competitive CoD is not multiplatform (was 360, now PS4), yet it still holds a much bigger population than Halo on Xbox (there are 3 CoD titles above H5 right now). CS might be a bit of a stretch, but treating PC like it's direct competition with Xbox  for years and then releasing a terrible, half-assed port of H5 hasn't done Halo's future any favors on that platform.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

You can make all the excuses you want, but it doesn't mean much when Halo isn't even relevant on its ONE platform. Competitive CoD is not multiplatform (was 360, now PS4), yet it still holds a much bigger population than Halo on Xbox (there are 3 CoD titles above H5 right now). CS might be a bit of a stretch, but treating PC like it's direct competition with Xbox  for years and then releasing a terrible, half-assed port of H5 hasn't done Halo's future any favors on that platform.

I think you're reading into my post a bit there.

That said to engage in this discussion...

Don't be naive, you know that a larger playerbase is going to equal more viewership and so a larger scene. People who play CoD on the X1 aren't going to suddenly stop watching the competitive side because it's being played on a PS4. And PC games have always had (and likely will continue to have) much, much larger esports scenes. Steam is also a far bigger platform than Xbox and so again there are far more players available to play CS than Halo, the barrier to entry is much smaller.

Halo being only on the Xbox was always going to limit the potential of the competitive scene. Perhaps this will change if H6 launches same day on the PC, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if they kept the competitive scene on consoles.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is the most stereotypical and completely wrong-headed understanding of reality held by every 24-year-old on Reddit and the internet in general.  The idea that literally anyone who isn't (1) travelling the world and having "life-changing experiences" or (2) working in a "creative"/"passionate" field with no job security + starvation wages is "bitter / miserable / a cog in a machine" is condescending, naive, and completely untrue.  You probably don't actually know where this idea popped into your head, but you've just absorbed it from school, naive young people, Reddit, etc.  It's also likely a defense mechanism from people who realize that "following their dreams" isn't quite what they were told it would be, and so they feel the need to denigrate happy people with balanced lives to feel better about their choices.

I'm guessing you have no idea what the average 9-5 job is like. The idea that every office worker does "mindless work" with "guaranteed income" is literally a stereotype from the 1950s and is completely inaccurate.  (Incidentally, I'm less stressed and have more opportunity for travel, creativity, and collaboration in my current 9-5 job than I did in years of doing freelance photography.)  The life of the average esports figure is honestly MORE of a never-ending soul crushing grind than the average office job.  

Also the best way to crush your love of something is to be forced to do it for a living; pro surfers often talk about how surfing for a salary completely ruined the joy of it for them.  And I guarantee that, apart from the most hyper-competitive personalities in the Halo scene, being forced to grind Halo for a living has ruined the joy of playing the game.

Since the beginning of MLG, imo pro players should only ever see pro Halo as a part-time job (or a second full-time job).  Taking a couple semesters off is fine but no one should see this as a living, rather just as a social life / hobby.  Taking it more seriously than that is just a recipe for disaster.  Snakebite knows what's up, he took online classes last semester and has things figured out, I think.

I've worked multiple full time jobs actually one of which was at a major bank, and still work full time so... not quite. If your job makes you happy and gives you the life you want, great I'm happy for you. That isn't reality for most people who are working for others; they DON'T get to spend their time how they like and corporations consistently make employees feel undervalued.

If you are really a happy person why would you "have no sympathy" for someone who is stressed out. Because you don't agree with their career choice? You see it as a hobby so everyone else should? Professional gamers make six to seven figures across the most popular titles, Halo was once one of those titles, why could it not be that once again? For you to say players should only think of it as a hobby, or a part time job is not only incredibly uninformed but also extremely condescending. Some people do indeed prefer to have their life set out for them and just follow orders, if so get a full time job. But the reality is that not everyone does and to say that those people "deserve no sympathy" because they are chasing their dream just demonstrates a complete inability to be compassionate.

Selling 40 hours a week doesn't automatically give you a "balanced" life, it just pays your bills.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can someone make an edgy team change so we have something else to talk about?

I don't come on here to talk about my job, I get enough talk about my job at my job.

But I understand why people are talking about it as a lot of us are like-minded and talking about things with like-minded people is nice

• Upvote (+1) 3

We need Dad(er)bite and Papa Ogre to team with PapaMikwen and PapaSpartan. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm stressed that the Lions could potentially not make the playoffs this year. :stressed:

lol I would b too brah PackersOverEverything!!

PapaMikwen possibly PapaSpartan T02 looking for 2 for Worlds. 

Sponsored by Papa John's?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Maybe off topic but why hasn't mercy "w/out saw" & Koth been tested for competitive play?!? I'd rather play mercy strongholds than empire strongholds... I was also surprised the protube & magnum variations weren't tested as pick-ups... 1 more thing is it just me or does the silenced AR feel way way less weaker than standard ar | I never finish kills w/ it...

Maybe off topic but why hasn't mercy "w/out saw" & Koth been tested for competitive play?!? I'd rather play mercy strongholds than empire strongholds... I was also surprised the protube & magnum variations weren't tested as pick-ups... 1 more thing is it just me or does the silenced AR feel way way less weaker than standard ar | I never finish kills w/ it...

Eww mercy :stressed:

Mercy with Radar is trash.