CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

If you think someone will pay $5 per month to maybe squeeze in a game or 2 with a pro, and continue on subbing month over month without the streamer being entertaining, by all means carry on with your day. How many subs does Lethul have and that with Green wall support? Sparty is another good example of someone starting off fresh. He has been streaming for quite some time and while he's entertaining, still only has 330 subs. You won't see $1500/mo from streaming in H5 unless you either have Green wall or you have already built up a following over years of streaming it. Easy money smh.

spartan has 300 subs for months because his attitude is shit. And 300 subs plus donations is probably over 1k. It's easy free money man.
  • Downvote (-1) 4

spartan has 300 subs for months because his attitude is shit. And 300 subs plus donations is probably over 1k. It's easy free money man.

300 subs for an esports player is 1050 a month, add donations they'll easily clear 1500/month. Add on their ~1500 salary from org, that's 24k a year before prize money.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Looking at some of the postgame damage stats... Does grenade damage factor into the total? Sometimes the damage seems extremely low for certain players even during big games

Looking at some of the postgame damage stats... Does grenade damage factor into the total? Sometimes the damage seems extremely low for certain players even during big games

The damage stat is broke AF.  It doesn't register damage until you die or drop the weapon you were using (we think) and grenade stats seem to only count when they want to.  its really only useful if  you look at damage per game average over a large sample size.  From one game to the next, its pretty worthless.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Serious question - if all pro players streamed constantly how kany would you be able to sub to? Then how many could you domate to on top of that? We are asking for a lot of work from them saying its free money, but does this fanbase have that money to give to them. Id rather see more tourneys and player sponsorship for the players making a living. Relying on the community for money wouldnt be as stable to me

300 subs for an esports player is 1050 a month, add donations they'll easily clear 1500/month. Add on their ~1500 salary from org, that's 24k a year before prize money.

300 x 2.5 is only 750 depending on how much twitch takes I've heard it's different all around.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The damage stat is broke AF. It doesn't register damage until you die or drop the weapon you were using (we think) and grenade stats seem to only count when they want to. its really only useful if you look at damage per game average over a large sample size. From one game to the next, its pretty worthless.

played a game with some friends. My friend went 16-0 with the sniper and never dropped it. He had 0% accuracy and 0 damage dealt
  • Upvote (+1) 3

300 x 2.5 is only 750 depending on how much twitch takes I've heard it's different all around.

3.50 has been reported by a few people on this forum as Lethul and Ninja's split, so I'm fairly certain it is the standard split fo all people streaming to Twitch through an esports organization.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

played a game with some friends. My friend went 16-0 with the sniper and never dropped it. He had 0% accuracy and 0 damage dealt

Yeah exactly.  I bet if he dropped it it would have given him one damage stat and if he had died with it it would have given a totally different one.

So, we're just fighting over anything and everything now?

I try my best to avoid stupid arguments but seeing homophobic things is pretty much an instant trigger for me. I have gay friends and seeing what they deal with on a daily basis bothers me. That clearly wasn't very bad, but I let it crawl under my skin anyway.

My bad beyond fam.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The way I see it is this. 

Other than playing in tournaments and scrimming, I see the pro players doing absolutely nothing else to help with job security.  I understand that this is your career, and money relies on how your perform which can be stressful.  That being said, almost none of the current pros try to promote their own brand via social media outlets.  You have 100k followers on Twitter and cool blue checkmark?  How does that help you?

Put in more effort to produce content and engage with the community consistently.  Even if it's just videos of people talking about how they've been dropped from 6 different teams in 24 hours.  Put forth some effort, learn editing, string together some highlights from streams, or just talk about day to day things in your life so fans can relate to you more.

On that subject, the fact that barely any professional Halo players maintain a halfway decent streaming schedule is absurd.  You're already online and playing matchmaking, so why not just stream?  Interact with your chat a bit.  Try to get some more followers and subs.  You don't need to act over-the-top outrageous like Ninja to be a successful streamer.

Twitch and YouTube are probably the best two sources of extra income that barely any current Halo pros take advantage of.  For those that don't put out extra content or go the extra mile to make income, I have zero sympathy for the stress that they endure.

In the end, what you get out of your profession is equal to the effort that you put in.

This is the most stereotypical and completely wrong-headed understanding of reality held by every 24-year-old on Reddit and the internet in general.  The idea that literally anyone who isn't (1) travelling the world and having "life-changing experiences" or (2) working in a "creative"/"passionate" field with no job security + starvation wages is "bitter / miserable / a cog in a machine" is condescending, naive, and completely untrue.  You probably don't actually know where this idea popped into your head, but you've just absorbed it from school, naive young people, Reddit, etc.  It's also likely a defense mechanism from people who realize that "following their dreams" isn't quite what they were told it would be, and so they feel the need to denigrate happy people with balanced lives to feel better about their choices.

I'm guessing you have no idea what the average 9-5 job is like. The idea that every office worker does "mindless work" with "guaranteed income" is literally a stereotype from the 1950s and is completely inaccurate.  (Incidentally, I'm less stressed and have more opportunity for travel, creativity, and collaboration in my current 9-5 job than I did in years of doing freelance photography.)  The life of the average esports figure is honestly MORE of a never-ending soul crushing grind than the average office job.  

Also the best way to crush your love of something is to be forced to do it for a living; pro surfers often talk about how surfing for a salary completely ruined the joy of it for them.  And I guarantee that, apart from the most hyper-competitive personalities in the Halo scene, being forced to grind Halo for a living has ruined the joy of playing the game.

Since the beginning of MLG, imo pro players should only ever see pro Halo as a part-time job (or a second full-time job).  Taking a couple semesters off is fine but no one should see this as a living, rather just as a social life / hobby.  Taking it more seriously than that is just a recipe for disaster.  Snakebite knows what's up, he took online classes last semester and has things figured out, I think.

Somebody needed to say it.  Glad you did 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The damage stat is broke AF. It doesn't register damage until you die or drop the weapon you were using (we think) and grenade stats seem to only count when they want to. its really only useful if you look at damage per game average over a large sample size. From one game to the next, its pretty worthless.

Thanks for the feedback!

Interesting. What a mess!

• Upvote (+1) 1

3.50 has been reported by a few people on this forum as Lethul and Ninja's split, so I'm fairly certain it is the standard split fo all people streaming to Twitch through an esports organization.

It's usually a negotiated number. Depending on your presence and outreach it could be more or less. Then they can renegotiate later on. I wouldn't call it a standard especially based on just being an esports player.