CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Is the rostermania changes the most stressful part? I understand putting in massive amounts of time and effort into the game isn't pure bliss, but what else exactly makes this so stressful? The stakes of the money you are playing for? The public spot light? (still sorta a niche area) Is the actual physical act of playing this game stressful? For example, poor servers, ghost melees, questionable setting changes, powerful ARs, whatever.

I can understand how something like this would be stressful on top of your current situation of working a job or going to school. There's just not enough hours in a day to get everything done. If Halo is the first or main priority/stresser in your life though, then I don't really understand why unless you are traveling to events that you cannot afford to travel to.

I'd like to hear more from pros on this. I wonder how much of it is attributed from the actual game itself.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2gre planning on his long awaited return for this worlds season? running a lot of customs with top AMs

All of this. Also what's an avg pro's salary like..$1500 a month maybe? If you only get that and your team doesn't do well that's less than 20k a year. You are well into poverty after bills/etc.. Honestly they can't win. If they have full time jobs as well they get shit for not focusing 100% and when they only do that they can't be stress or even vent about stuff.

Which Ninja is ironically playing with the top AMs. He ran with Tripppey yesterday. This is all going to be pretty interesting where everyone lands. :thinking:

If the pros that didn't place well streamed 40 hours a week they could easily make another $1500 a month from that. It actually baffles me how few pros stream consistently. It's easy money
  • Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That extermination mode looks pretty fun. Imagine if the Mini-Games mode it uses allows UI(show # of players alive) and announcer(Having Steitzer say Extermination at the beginning of the game) changes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the pros that didn't place well streamed 40 hours a week they could easily make another $1500 a month from that. It actually baffles me how few pros stream consistently. It's easy money

More should for sure, but its probably better that they don't all stream.  I think market saturation would become a problem.  Too few viewers willing to shell out money to go around.

That extermination mode looks pretty fun. Imagine if the Mini-Games mode it uses allows UI(show # of players alive) and announcer(Having Steitzer say Extermination at the beginning of the game) changes.

Pretty sure Steitzer already says extermination at the start...

• Upvote (+1) 1

The UI changes might actually be possible, and Steitzer already says Extermination at the beginning of the game. :)

On the whole stress thing, yea I guess the team roster shit you have to deal with a couple times a year is tough for some. But at the same token you guys are living an incredibly privileged life to travel the world and play video games (and even travel for Vegas for fun!). Top on salary, tournament winnings (big or small), stream / content income & donations, sponsor stuff etc it can't be all that bad if you aren't sitting on your thumbs expecting the world to hand you things.

I think a lot of players have coasted through the past few years, I thought Reach would be somewhat of a wake up call. I really hope a lot of these players are going to school or at least have some kind of craft to pickup if MS / 343i decided to shutter the whole HCS thing. Halo isn't that dominant household name it once was and it sucks, maybe we will get there some day when we don't have to guess who can buff what weapon.

Note: I really have no real personal relationship with any player or know their story 100%, so this is just me being a armchair observer btw.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Easy money? For them to make $1500 a month* they'd need 600 subscribers if they start out at $2.50 per sub like most partners who start out. That's if they are lucky and entertaining. And honestly the viewers are too low for too many people to do so in H5. 

*Does not include donations.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was just thinking that, one of the presentational issues is that there isn't a good indication of how many players are alive and when respawns will occur.

I know nothing about scripting in forge, but i wonder if they can trick the scoreboard into giving more information. It would be neat if there was a way to show the score as = -(the shortest remaining time to spawn per team). That way players would know how quickly they would need to finish collapsing.

When the first player dies, score would show -15, and the other 3 would need to be killed before the score climbs back to 0 and someone respawns.

Easy money? For them to make $1500 a month* they'd need 600 subscribers if they start out at $2.50 per sub like most partners who start out. That's if they are lucky and entertaining. And honestly the viewers are too low for too many people to do so in H5.

*Does not include donations.

They don't even need to be entertaining. They can just answer questions in chat and play with subs. It is easy money.
  • Downvote (-1) 3

They don't even need to be entertaining. They can just answer questions in chat and play with subs. It is easy money.

The have to actually get subs first. They'll have a hard time doing that if they aren't entertaining

The have to actually get subs first. They'll have a hard time doing that if they aren't entertaining

Stream title: Running games with subs

That was difficult.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Any job that pays out based on your sole performance (or of those on your 'team') week-to-week or month-to-month is stressful. Look at commission-based jobs like sales or insurance. Just comes with the territory. Obviously there are a lot of bonuses sewn into each position for doing well, but there still are a lot of uncertainties that can pile up when you enter a rut. It's a similar story for poker players, too.

-Ghost

Do Halo players put in the same time as these other things though? I honestly don't know, I really don't follow streams or scrim schedules anymore. I know other games like LoL and CS, those guys go balls to the wall but their payout is more.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Stream title: Running games with subs

That was difficult.

There's a limited number of halo esports fans. Fewer who are willing to pay. And of those who are,many may already have maxed their budget for twitch subs.

The idea that simply giving your stream that title would net every pro enough subs to make the kind of money you are talking about is silly. There's a need to build an audience.

There's a limited number of halo esports fans. Fewer who are willing to pay. And of those who are,many may already have maxed their budget for twitch subs.

The idea that simply giving your stream that title would net every pro enough subs to make the kind of money you are talking about is silly. There's a need to build an audience.

of course you have to build an audience.. but to start building as a pro is EASY.