CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I agree with you, but yo do realise that both Ace and Spartan jumped from the bottom of the league to the Top 4 in a single pro-league season? Mikwen and Ola didn't even get into Worlds? The margin for improvement is definitely there, you're kinda understimating the impact of new teammates.

there was never any doubt that Pistola can win LANs ... and Mikwen himself said he's the most droppable player on nV.  

there was never any doubt that Pistola can win LANs ... and Mikwen himself said he's the most droppable player on nV.  

That means Mikwen did an amazing job at orchestrating this team. He sacrificed a ton to get where he is. And there was some doubt especially when Ola went a bit off the rails but Mikwen believed. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

That means Mikwen did an amazing job at orchestrating this team. He sacrificed a ton to get where he is. And there was some doubt especially when Ola went a bit off the rails but Mikwen believed. 

I heart Mikwen guys, not saying anything negative about him, just pointing out that he teamed with top 10 players to get where he is, which is what others need to do.  

Jesus Christ Ugug, I love a good settings shitpost but at least pretend you're trying.

I was serious, though. Having a passion for what you do is a huge help in getting through stress about job insecurity etc. I imagine it's hard for some of these pros who competed in halo 2 to feel passionate about competiting now in a worse version of what they used to do with developers who don't listen to them.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think Ninja has transcended from the Halo Competitive Scene as a professional. It has been mentioned earlier, but if I am him, I don't know if I want to stop playing H1Z1 to play Halo. Of course you can tell the competitive drive is still there, but I think it's time to think about furthering his career as a streamer and not a competitive Halo player. That being said, I would love if he stayed in the scene because he brought me back into Halo. 

He can become Randa 2.0.  Team with top AMs and propel them the Pro status without getting back there himself...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Teams want players who are dedicated to Halo and are willing to grind Halo. At this point, I don't think Ninja is that player. 

Welcome back mate! It's good to have you back.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think Ninja has transcended from the Halo Competitive Scene as a professional. It has been mentioned earlier, but if I am him, I don't know if I want to stop playIng H1Z1 to play Halo. Of course you can tell the competitive drive is still there, but I think it's time to think about furthering his career as a streamer and not a competitive Halo player. That being said, I would love if he stayed in the scene because he brought me back into Halo. 

Yeah he's in a really sticky situation. He obviously wants to compete in Halo, but H1Z1 is way more profitable if he's not top 4 in Halo, and he can't be top 4 in Halo while playing H1Z1. And since he and Jess are getting married soon, he probably wants to do what is the most secure and profitable source of money. I would LOVE for him to get too worlds, but I only see that happening if he grinds and finds top tier AMs.

I want Ninja to succeed, I've been a fan for over years, and he's gotten me into competitive Halo. 

This is the most stereotypical and completely wrong-headed understanding of reality held by every 24-year-old on Reddit and the internet in general.

*Be 24. Use Reddit.*

*TRIGGERED*

• Upvote (+1) 6

This is the most stereotypical and completely wrong-headed understanding of reality held by every 24-year-old on Reddit and the internet in general.  The idea that literally anyone who isn't (1) travelling the world and having "life-changing experiences" or (2) working in a "creative"/"passionate" field with no job security + starvation wages is "bitter / miserable / a cog in a machine" is condescending, naive, and completely untrue.  You probably don't actually know where this idea popped into your head, but you've just absorbed it from school, naive young people, Reddit, etc.  It's also likely a defense mechanism from people who realize that "following their dreams" isn't quite what they were told it would be, and so they feel the need to denigrate happy people with balanced lives to feel better about their choices.

I'm guessing you have no idea what the average 9-5 job is like. The idea that every office worker does "mindless work" with "guaranteed income" is literally a stereotype from the 1950s and is completely inaccurate.  (Incidentally, I'm less stressed and have more opportunity for travel, creativity, and collaboration in my current 9-5 job than I did in years of doing freelance photography.)  The life of the average esports figure is honestly MORE of a never-ending soul crushing grind than the average office job.  

Also the best way to crush your love of something is to be forced to do it for a living; pro surfers often talk about how surfing for a salary completely ruined the joy of it for them.  And I guarantee that, apart from the most hyper-competitive personalities in the Halo scene, being forced to grind Halo for a living has ruined the joy of playing the game.

Since the beginning of MLG, imo pro players should only ever see pro Halo as a part-time job (or a second full-time job).  Taking a couple semesters off is fine but no one should see this as a living, rather just as a social life / hobby.  Taking it more seriously than that is just a recipe for disaster.  Snakebite knows what's up, he took online classes last semester and has things figured out, I think.

Not sure I agree that nobody should be trying to play Halo full time, but a great post nonetheless. Freedom is freedom. It's true that it can come from owning your own business or being self employed, but you can equally find autonomy in all the spare time afforded by a 9-5 position. And for many, the 9-5 job itself can be fulfilling and challenging work in its own right.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Be 23. Don't work 9-5. Use Reddit.

*STRESSED*

You have one more year of innocence before full blown naivety hits.

Welcome back mate! It's good to have you back.

Thanks! Glad to be back. Been busy with a moving and a new job. I won't be around as much as I was, but I'll be trying to keep up with Worlds.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thanks! Glad to be back. Been busy with a moving and a new job. I won't be around as much as I was, but I'll be trying to keep up with Worlds.

You seemed stressed.

-FLuFFy

• Upvote (+1) 2

I joined flameswords party and got goosed in one game so I guess you could say that I'm on my way to becoming a pro

• Upvote (+1) 5