CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Why is Ninja being ignored by so many people this time around?

I think it's because he's just not good enough to be on a top 4 team atm. A lot has changed since summer pro league, and as a fan of his, he's not top tier.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I hope current pros teaming up with AMs for worlds ends of giving more AMs an opportunity to make it into Pro League or even makes a case for expanding the league.

Looking forward to some unexpectedly close matches and some surprising upsets.

I am liking that so many AMs are getting chances to run with pros. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why is Ninja being ignored by so many people this time around?

I mean it's nothing but fantastic news for Tyler, but his H1Z1/Twitch following has taken off the the point where there's no guarantee that he'd be able to "grind" for Worlds this time around....5k+ subs is no sort of joke.

This is maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'm not even sure that he SHOULD take an H1Z1 break for Halo.... he gets low view counts every time, or at least lower than he's used to. I can't remember when exactly it was, but around the time he reached 3k subs, he dipped back below it almost immediately when he took a few days off to go to a convention or something like that. Twitch is fickle, and he may be best served continuing the grind that's netting him a fuckload more money than he'll ever make playing Halo... or probably anything else.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh poor child of Summer thinking that being a professional Halo player is stressful. I won't get into what stress is, but no Halo player can complain about stress.

I actually have ZERO sympathy.

Accidental +rep. Dude to try and navigate this and make money off it is not something I'd find relaxing. You either bust ass to gain a following like ninja but take shit for not playing halo enough or try to make your living with prize pools. Even with an org paying you 1000 bucks a month which is not a livable wage, the lack of tourneys makes this an incredibly hard way to make a living. Plus if i had to deal with some of this level of drama and shainess that crops up at rosermania, id be incredibly stressed

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is why having a plan B is always  good, in case you aren't good enough. Plain and simple, this is not a concept that applies to Halo only.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Accidental +rep. Dude to try and navigate this and make money off it is not something I'd find relaxing. You either bust ass to gain a following like ninja but take shit for not playing halo enough or try to make your living with prize pools. Even with an org paying you 1000 bucks a month which is not a livable wage, the lack of tourneys makes this an incredibly hard way to make a living. Plus if i had to deal with some of this level of drama and shainess that crops up at rosermania, id be incredibly stressed

Crane is correct. The amount of people who have regular jobs and think they can comment on what i means to be "professional talent" is staggering.

If you work 9-5 you do the same shit every day. You are a cog in a machine that essentially needs you to show up, mindlessly go about your business and then you get to go home. Your pay is the same no matter what. You have GUARANTEED income. This cannot be further from the truth for pro gamers, streamers, casters and youtubers. There is no guarantee, there is no way to plan monthly, and if it all goes to shit you don't exactly have "experience" that will help you get a job down the road, you essentially wasted your time. There is no telling how long you can do it for and absolutely no idea what to do if/ when it's all over.

The people like the person who Crane responded to, who have zero sympathy for that? Are you serious? Because you didn't put effort into the things you loved and went down a bullshit path that you now are bitter about and hate having to wake up every day you have no sympathy for the struggles of someone who busted their ass to make sure their life was fun instead of a never-ending soul crushing grind? That is the definition of a loser's mentality. If someone else has a lifestyle you envy figure out how to make it possible for you and work towards achieving or shut the fuck up.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 9

Seems like Spartan/Commonly/Danoxide/Suspector are still together - they did custom walkthroughs of the competitive maps last night. Boring, but still  :intel:

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is why having a plan B is always  good, in case you aren't good enough. Plain and simple, this is not a concept that applies to Halo only.

Just ask RoyBox.  They know this esports thing isn't going to be forever and already have their retirement planned.  People give them shit for not playing enough, but they have full time jobs + school + families + Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is why having a plan B is always good, in case you aren't good enough. Plain and simple, this is not a concept that applies to Halo only.

Plan Bs are always good in life. But some opportunities will never work out unless you go 100%.

My risk aversion would never allow me to persue something like professional gaming or leaving my job to start a business. Power to those that take leaps of faith, but I could never handle that pressure.

Shout out to RoyBox for still finding some pro gaming success while devoting plenty of time to an outside trade.

How about a link to the owner "respectfully" breaking the rules of the tournament by calling out players to his team on stage, and continuing after being asked to stop?

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoDCompetitive/comments/5iwoxp/e6_owners_calling_out_orbit_for_their_team_in_the/

Or maybe the owners publicly fighting on Twitter with members of other orgs for no real reason? There's also first hand accounts in here of General and his goon starting shit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OpTicGaming/comments/5j351s/misc_what_happened_between_hitch_e6_general/

But no, I'm sure you're right. That little fuckwad General is clearly a nice guy, and the rest of the org are great, that's why literally nobody in this community or the competitive CoD community has anything nice to say, except apparently you. Are you connected to the org somehow? This seems like a very strange topic to make an account over and disagree about with a first post.

While I agree that someone calling out is shitty, there is no proof it was the e6 owner. a fan? maybe. Someone who just dislikes Rated/Orbit? also kind of likely. I think if it was actually the owner of e6 calling out, MLG would have done something about it. 

Also did you see the tweets between General and Hitch? "gg e7. We play FaZe next." Mocking the placing E6 got, because E6 had beat OpTic 3-0 the previous day.

None of what you linked presents the org as any worse than half the others in e-sports. 

I don't think it's just about financial stability or a Plan B. Most of these guys are young enough to where they can recover in life.

What they can't recover is the chance to chase their dreams. In the abstract, everyone says you should risk it all to chase your dreams, your passions. But when actually presented with the practical and real life decisions required to chase those dreams, our natural evolutionary response makes it a very stressful time. Risking a stable and secure life for something that's probably never going to happen, but isn't impossible, causes stress.

It's not that they will starve to death if they don't achieve Halo success (though I suppose it's possible). It's that they're seeing that 1% chance of ever achieving their dreams dwindle with every seemingly random roster move. And that can be stressful.

• Upvote (+1) 6

While I agree that someone calling out is shitty, there is no proof it was the e6 owner. a fan? maybe. Someone who just dislikes Rated/Orbit? also kind of likely. I think if it was actually the owner of e6 calling out, MLG would have done something about it. 

Also did you see the tweets between General and Hitch? "gg e7. We play FaZe next." Mocking the placing E6 got, because E6 had beat OpTic 3-0 the previous day.

None of what you linked presents the org as any worse than half the others in e-sports. 

https://imgur.com/a/smgyA

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's because he's just not good enough to be on a top 4 team atm. A lot has changed since summer pro league, and as a fan of his, he's not top tier.

At this point everyone is trying to crack top 2 and I don't see how Ninja will possibly get you to top 2.  

If I were one of the best remaining pros (Stellur, Commonly) I would be ONLY running with top AMs, the current pro scene does not have enough talent, simply put ... as I think I said a few days ago, the only players who can compete with Huke and Frosty are a new Huke and Frosty (Shottzy or Tripppey or Renegade or Tapping Buttons or Arctic or whoever).  I don't think that Spartan or Ace or whoever else are going to suddenly become a top 5 player in the game; they're known quantities at this point

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

At this point everyone is trying to crack top 2 and I don't see how Ninja will possibly get you to top 2.  

If I were one of the best remaining pros (Stellur, Commonly) I would be ONLY running with top AMs, the current pro scene does not have enough talent, simply put ... as I think I said a few days ago, the only players who can compete with Huke and Frosty are a new Huke and Frosty (Shottzy or Tripppey or Renegade or Tapping Buttons or Arctic or whoever).  I don't think that Spartan or Ace or whoever else are going to suddenly become a top 5 player in the game; they're known quantities at this point

Do people consider Stellur to be better than Ninja now?

I haven't really been paying close enough attention to the scene recently to know what's going on...

Crane is correct. Etc. 

All of this. Also what's an avg pro's salary like..$1500 a month maybe? If you only get that and your team doesn't do well that's less than 20k a year. You are well into poverty after bills/etc.. Honestly they can't win. If they have full time jobs as well they get shit for not focusing 100% and when they only do that they can't be stress or even vent about stuff. 

Which Ninja is ironically playing with the top AMs. He ran with Tripppey yesterday. This is all going to be pretty interesting where everyone lands.  :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Which Ninja is ironically playing the the top AMs. He ran with Tripppey yesterday. This is all going to be pretty interesting where everyone lands.  :thinking:

Ninja actually (semi?) jokingly said in his stream last night that he was going to build a team of top AMs.

Ninja actually (semi?) jokingly said in his stream last night that he was going to build a team of top AMs.

Too late.. 2gre already beat him to it.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I'd be stressed too if I had to play a Halo game with radar and AR starts professionally

• Upvote (+1) 14
  • Downvote (-1) 8

I think Ninja has transcended from the Halo Competitive Scene as a professional. It has been mentioned earlier, but if I am him, I don't know if I want to stop playing H1Z1 to play Halo. Of course you can tell the competitive drive is still there, but I think it's time to think about furthering his career as a streamer and not a competitive Halo player. That being said, I would love if he stayed in the scene because he brought me back into Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I agree with you, but yo do realise that both Ace and Spartan jumped from the bottom of the league to the Top 4 in a single pro-league season? Mikwen and Ola didn't even get into Worlds? The margin for improvement is definitely there, you're kinda understimating the impact of new teammates.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd be stressed too if I had to play a Halo game with radar and AR starts professionally.

Jesus Christ Ugug, I love a good settings shitpost but at least pretend you're trying.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1