CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

If by that you mean it's never had the right kind of community organizers, I don't believe that.

Halo's player base is largely made up of the "obnoxious" part of what constitutes gamers. They don't have the attention span to know what's good for them.

This does nothing to explain why the competitive community moved on from CE to H2, though, when it was instantly and universally decried as a massive drop in competitive quality. Smash has no developer support and its online multiplayer is irrelevant - just like CE. Then, you have to deal with the fact that for a while, Halo had even more grassroots support from its competitive fans than Smash, and we still chose to play the newest, shiniest thing even if it was a piece of shit.

One of two things in this scenario is true. Either the Smash community is a by-the-hand-of-the-Lord miracle anomaly that can't exist in any other universe, or the Halo community is dumb.

Smash IS an anomaly.

From an economic stand point, it makes sense to play the newest games because thats where the opportunities for growth are. Devs, publishers,and sponsors are in it for the marketing opportunity. And players naturally will want prize pools to be as large as possible.

Maybe the community isn't dumb. They just like a little $ to go along with their competitions.

The Halo community at large DOES have a short attention span, but that's just how the console gaming industry generally works. So few people who play these games actually care about its maximum competitive merit. They just want to have fun. And that goes for players across the majority of the skill spectrum.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This thread is one huge roller-coaster of emotions. One moment we're praising 343 for finally acknowledging most of our demands for competitive settings and tournament format, a page later we're calling them a disgraceful developer. 343 isn't perfect and I have had my fair share of criticisms for the company, but whenever I reflect on the "Halo 4" days, I instantly begin to appreciate what we have going on right now for Halo 5. Remember, Bungie is the one that started the sprint and spartan ability trend for Halo in Reach before they moved on to Destiny. All we can do as a community is keep offering our feedback as to what is needed to make Halo 5 and Halo 6 great and hope they listen which they are definitely receptive too. Enough with the attacks, it's killing my vibe. 

Edit: Also, the sooner we talk about what should be in Halo 6 at launch, the better. Halo 5 would of have had a healthy population if most of the updates we've gotten up to this point was available at launch. This is where 343 messed up.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Smash just lends itself to easy community organization. That's the only difference.

One monitor, one console, a couple controllers

vs. four monitors, four consoles, four controllers, per team, unless you're old school and are ok with split screen. and now its worse because no LAN support

You know what makes this a hell of a lot easier, at least for the open portion?

Split screen

• Upvote (+1) 1

This does nothing to explain why the competitive community moved on from CE to H2, though, when it was instantly and universally decried as a massive drop in competitive quality.

That's very easy to explain. Two reasons:

A) Halo games come out ~every three years, SSB comes out significantly more staggered. 8 years of the one game gives it much more time to mature. This ties in with my original post.

B) Feature set. Halo 2 had online play and an enormous community to back it up. It's easier to organise practice online than to organise a LAN. Sure, there was and is a dedicated LAN CE community but online is (whilst inferior) 200x easier to pick up and play multiplayer as well as practice.

Halo 3 had forge, theatre and "HD" (I know it ran less than HD on paper but you understand my point). Halo 2 was hard to go back to due to these features.

I'm in agreement that H1>2>3 in terms of core competitive value, but the feature set makes it hard to go back as it's easier to stick with the modern one.

• Upvote (+1) 7

That's very easy to explain. Two reasons:

A) Halo games come out ~every three years,

OT from your original point but this is why Halo needs to worry less about innovation and more on polish and new features (NOT new mechanics). 3 year cycle means the majority of players stopped playing a long ass time before the next release, so they wont have the fatigue that CoD has. and the people that are still playing by then... clearly like the current mechanics so they shouldnt be edited much.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

If by that you mean it's never had the right kind of community organizers, I don't believe that.

Halo's player base is largely made up of the "obnoxious" part of what constitutes gamers. They don't have the attention span to know what's good for them.

Dumbest post 2k16. Congrats.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 7

This does nothing to explain why the competitive community moved on from CE to H2, though, when it was instantly and universally decried as a massive drop in competitive quality. Smash has no developer support and its online multiplayer is irrelevant - just like CE. Then, you have to deal with the fact that for a while, Halo had even more grassroots support from its competitive fans than Smash, and we still chose to play the newest, shiniest thing even if it was a piece of shit. 

One of two things in this scenario is true. Either the Smash community is a by-the-hand-of-the-Lord miracle anomaly that can't exist in any other universe, or the Halo community is dumb. 

Those aren't the only two options. MLG is what happened. It being easier to allow someone else to make decisions and contribute money and effort is what happened. Its pretty obvious why a business would choose the newest product if they were in control. The community also experienced large amounts of growth in those time periods as well. Virtually nobody played CE competitively compared to what happened when H2 was on XBL and then Halo 3 where smash didn't really experience anything that drastic. You can't really expect everyone to stay with or return to CE if they didn't even play it to begin with. I was only 10 almost 11 when I was playing CE on release and I'm probably older than the vast majority of people who are playing now.

Its actually crazy in a couple of years some of the best players in the game won't have even been alive when CE was released.

• Upvote (+1) 2

OT from your original point but this is why Halo needs to worry less about innovation and more on polish and new features (NOT new mechanics). 3 year cycle means the majority of players stopped playing a long ass time before the next release, so they wont have the fatigue that CoD has. and the people that are still playing by then... clearly like the current mechanics so they shouldnt be edited much.

i used to play the current halo up until the next one released. i played a few games (the fable series, a CoD here and there) but pretty much only played whatever the latest halo was until the next one was released. that doesnt happen anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 3

i used to play the current halo up until the next one released. i played a few games (the fable series, a CoD here and there) but pretty much only played whatever the latest halo was until the next one was released. that doesnt happen anymore.

Exactly. Im assuming it's because they fucked with it too much?

Halo fan: i dont play halo much anymore. It doesnt feel like the same game.

343: people arent playing halo much anymore. We need to innovate to attract new players!

My salt levels have been especially high lately so i feel like i should add that H5 is my favorite halo since Halo 2, but could be so much better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What I'm getting from this thread right now:

Competitive halo should again be based in 2v2, have LAN, and have splitscreen.

Sounds good to me. Carry on.

• Upvote (+1) 9

What I'm getting from this thread right now:

Competitive halo should again be based in 2v2, have LAN, and have splitscreen.

Sounds good to me. Carry on.

That will never happen for Halo again though. The best chance for that is an indie game that copies CE gameplay imo. (Think rocket league but CE style shooter)

Here you guys and gals go!

My only criticism is that there were a few filler clips that could have been left out (ghost overkill?), but overall an enjoyable, well put together montage. 7.5/10

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Posts like these are why Bungie made armor lock.

NavG123 is easily this year's forum MVP. 

After we lost one of our dearly departed @@Cooper (what is dead may never die) NavG stepped up to fill the role of ultimate forum troll and played the part perfectly. I welcome you as our future overlord. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

NavG123 is easily this year's forum MVP. 

After we lost one of our dearly departed @@Cooper (what is dead may never die) NavG stepped up to fill the role of ultimate forum troll and played the part perfectly. I welcome you as our future overlord. 

Troll he may be but at least he's doing it in a funny KenM kind of way  :simms: . Cooper just went off his meds.

• Upvote (+1) 6

How was the Optic-NV scrim? I missed it last night. 

Happy holidays Beyond fam. Other than always giving me something to read in the morning, thanks for continuously supporting the scene so I can continue to do what I love. 

Thanks for entertaining us all and putting on a show! Good luck next season. And Merry Christmas Hamy!  :glasses:

• Upvote (+1) 1

After watching Ninja's montage, I figured I'd share the only one I've ever made. (H5 is the only Halo I've played since I was a kid) 

any feedback would be pretty sweet because I plan on putting another one together really soon. Unfortunately I'm average. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW6Nn1Xspcg 

(If this kind of thing is frowned upon, feel free to remove it. I wouldn't be offended, just testing the waters as I'm new around here.)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Have a great holiday guys, let's keep bickering to a minimum until the 26th :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 9