CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This is a response that isn't grounded in reality at all.  What do the reach changes have to do with with today? nothing. at all.  They have to do with reach.  NBNS reach didn't save competitive then and the only changes was to remove sprint and bloom.

Evolved settings change so many things that the game becomes unrecognizable as Halo 5. The current disk maps just dont work like they were designed. NBNS reach didn't do that, it still very clearly played like Reach just without the randomness.  You can't compare the 2.

And be aware this is not be bashing the evolved settings, I have played them before and like them, but to think that they would suddenly fix competitive halo is ludicrous.

I see the off season settings discussion has already begun, 

See you guys when the pro league is announced and roster-mania begins, as this shit is literally pointless, even the pro's have fuck all say, so why bother .........

I'd argue H3 was far more about team shooting than individual shooting though, so it has what Halo was about at some point

Just because it was a thing doesn't mean it's a good thing.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

That's interesting.

Funny about how people's complained this system is shit and that they wanted 1-50 back.

Why can't I neg people on the /r/opticgaming subreddit?

They edited the subreddit css to not show the down vote arrow. Turn off subreddit styles (tick box on the right) if you really want to down vote someone.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's interesting.

Funny about how people's complained this system is shit and that they wanted 1-50 back.

Right, The system is literally 1-50 but it starts you off closer to your true rank. I'm not sure why anyone like grinding through opponents who are clearly inferior is better.

The main issue with the current system is party matching and population size.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Right, The system is literally 1-50 but it starts you off closer to your true rank. I'm not sure why anyone like grinding through opponents who are clearly inferior is better.

Its really unfortunate how those two issues are actually more glaring than anything short of modding in H2 once you hit around 40. They can talk in circles about the ranking systems all they want but nothing to come out of 343 has actually delivered due to at least one of those two reasons.

Its because people want to pub stomp the lower ranks on their way up.  People can dress it up with any arguments they like, but that's the truth of it.

• Upvote (+1) 9

You can't say you understand why 343 went in the direction of Call of Duty with Halo and then knock them for it, running on walls captures the imagination of the average gamer, so does sprint and other abilities.

The people that truly understand why, is such a small part of the community so it doesn't make sense business wise to continue with the franchise if the majority isn't willing to evolve with the game and yet they are.

Why can't I say I understand the concept of it and then knock them for it? Is that not the basis for generating a legitimate gripe about something? Would you rather that I mindlessly bashed it simply because I don't enjoy the mechanics? If it helps you at all, I hate the advanced movement in the last three Call of Duty games too. I get why they made their decision, but I still think it was an atrocious road for them go down (both series, but specifically Halo). Just because you are in the same genre and people are gravitating towards the other side, does NOT mean you need to become the other side.

I've also noticed a bunch of your recent posts that seem to gravitate towards 343's decision to appeal to a gamer's imagination. Why is that essential for a successful game? Counter Strike (granted it grew massively because of skin betting) is a popular game to play (even after the skin better has been somewhat curbed, not to mention professional match-fixing and cheating scandals) still and it is a fairly simple and doesn't really play towards anyone's imagination. I don't understand your imagination argument. Not trying to be an ass, just being honest. I don't understand why that has any relevancy.

I just want to also point out that when talking numbers, the average gamer isn't really that big of a fan of the Imagination thing. Reach, Halo 4, Halo 5, Advanced Warfare, and Infinite Warfare, Titanfall and Titanfall 2 all have/had pretty poor player bases within roughly 6-8 months of release. Infinite Warfare isn't really liked much by the masses, and it's across three platforms. Titanfall was dead almost immediately because it wasn't a complete game. Titanfall 2 isn't as bad because it was a much more complete game, but it seems (to me) that the population is about done with the advanced movement stuff. Speaking of advanced, AW's active playerbase (I believe, of course correct me if I'm dead wrong) dropped significantly halfway through its lifespan. And then we come to Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5 who's numbers all basically suck and we know that. Reach's competitive scene managed to stay alive after 7 iterations of settings that saw the new game with "imagination inducing" mechanics completely removed. Halo 4, well we know how that went. And Halo 5? It's been beaten to death, but we have a flagship Xbox One exclusive title, not to mention that it is the most recent entry in one of the most popular game series on consoles ever, and it can't even be a consistent top 10 game?

Some people like the advanced movement mechanics. I'll never dispute that. I would never believe for a second an entire player base wants one thing because let's be realistic when the hell has that ever happened? However, I'd guess that the percentage of people who's imaginations have been seized by these mechanics and loves them is probably not a majority percentage. I think people are going to play a Halo FPS title regardless of the mechanics, but I don't believe that it's going to lead to long-term growth and has already led to a sharp decline in Halo player base. Of course, the mechanics are only part of the issue, and 343's complete incompetence at making a complete video game is a much, much bigger deal.

• Upvote (+1) 2

moved into my new house this weekend... watched worlds between trips......

"eh, ill catch up on TB monday at work........"

logs in to see 240 new PAGES 

:bman:

Congrats on TB being your full time job.

• Upvote (+1) 6

It sucks but for 99.999% of us putting that amount of time into Halo (or any game really) just isn't a wise decision for your future.  Sounds like he's doing what's best for him and I'm sure he'll do well wherever he ends up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm so glad he mentioned this because it annoys me to no end when people say "just go back to 1-50 problem solved"

Honestly though as I said in the thread, the one thing I liked about the 1-50 was starting from level 1 and getting to the 50. The satisfaction, and grind was real. In Halo 5 I played my first 10 games ever and was placed into Champion, and that post tells me I went from level 1 to Level 58+ in 10 games. I want Josh to hopefully in the next installment to bring back the grind.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is a response that isn't grounded in reality at all.  What do the reach changes have to do with with today? nothing. at all.  They have to do with reach.  NBNS reach didn't save competitive then and the only changes was to remove sprint and bloom.

Evolved settings change so many things that the game becomes unrecognizable as Halo 5. The current disk maps just dont work like they were designed. NBNS reach didn't do that, it still very clearly played like Reach just without the randomness.  You can't compare the 2.

And be aware this is not be bashing the evolved settings, I have played them before and like them, but to think that they would suddenly fix competitive halo is ludicrous.

I liked the evolved settings when I tried them as well. I don't think it would save competitive Halo right now, so I 100% agree. I believe a return to more traditional Halo is 100% going to help the scene. Will it save it? Time will tell. But on top of a better core game, we need way better leadership and a way better scene infrastructure. If we've seen anything it's that 343 just isn't going to be doing it. You can say we have the dev support all you want to, but until we really get actual dev support, 343 might as well just not be there in the competitive scene. 

Honestly though as I said in the thread, the one thing I liked about the 1-50 was starting from level 1 and getting to the 50. The satisfaction, and grind was real. In Halo 5 I played my first 10 games ever and was placed into Champion, and that post tells me I went from level 1 to Level 58+ in 10 games. I want Josh to hopefully in the next installment to bring back the grind.

I also thought the grind was awesome. However, the idea that you start from 1 is just a little unrealistic. For example, that led to dozens of montage kids (myself included at one point) in Halo 2 creating new accounts with X-month trials to play against low level players for clips, basically ruining their experience. If there was a good system that was representative of your skill level, in relation to your teammates and opponents' skill level, and still included the grind? Now we're talking. Something similar to CS: GO or Black Ops 2. you get placed in a certain skill range and then you grind to get better and out of it. I know that's what they attempted with Halo 5, but it's broken as shit and has been from the start. 

Its because people want to pub stomp the lower ranks on their way up.  People can dress it up with any arguments they like, but that's the truth of it.

Just wanted to quote this as the truth. 
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I think people like to see progress, and immediate reward for their victories. Playing 10 placement games always felt like a choir to me. Whereas winning, and seeing an immediate result would drive me to keep playing, to see how far I can push that number. Of course 10 placement games accomplish things quicker, but people tend to stop playing when they hit a wall. This system encourages stopping too soon. I can be done with a playlist in as little as 10 matches if my placement satisfies my personal goal. IE hitting Onyx.  

Personally, I'd rather see numbers than these ranks; and as foolish it may seem. The longer it takes to see the numbers I want, the better; because it keeps me interested in playing. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think people like to see progress, and immediate reward for their victories. Playing 10 placement games always felt like a choir to me. Whereas winning, and seeing an immediate result would drive me to keep playing, to see how far I can push that number. Of course 10 placement games accomplish things quicker, but people tend to stop playing when they hit a wall. This system encourages stopping too soon. I can be done with a playlist in as little as 10 matches if my placement satisfies my personal goal. IE hitting Onyx.  

Personally, I'd rather see numbers than these ranks; and as foolish it may seem. The longer it takes to see the numbers I want, the better; because it keeps me interested in playing. 

Don't really care about seeing numbers or divisions in terms of rank, but what I do care about is when I'm in Diamond and get a Gold teammate, matching against 3 Champions on "Focused" search preferences.

• Upvote (+1) 8

So halo 3 is no longer the easiest game to get a 50 in lol. Idk what the actual numbers are, and maybe it's because I always place in diamond or low onyx, but it seems like there are more people that are platinum or above than there are below.

(The comment about people getting better over time so those who used to be "20-30" are now "40-50" is crap.)

But if if is the same system why didn't they just keep the numbers? Is it really that important to mimic League of Legends? First "out of the box" settings and now the ranking system?

Don't really care about seeing numbers or divisions in terms of rank, but what I do care about is when I'm in Diamond and get a Gold teammate, matching against 3 Champions on "Focused" search preferences.

To me that just seems like a result of a heavily declined playlist population. At this stage of H5's lifecycle I'm not sure there is anything that can fix that. I rarely play now, and when I do there are times we can't even get into matches for placements. We end up switching between lists just to try and find a match. If you can't play the list you want on demand, why bother playing at all? There are a lot of things that have contributed to H5's population decline. The issue you are experiencing, sounds like another result of that, and will lead to further decline. 

i havent gone back to look over the pages i missed yet, but one thing sticking in my head from yesterday.........

why did the pre-grand finals match interview take place between ola and dadbite???

i cant be the only one that would have rather seen lxthul and snipedown get up there

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yep, he was real.

The Coalition has an amazing team that cares about the gaming community, props to them and can't wait to watch their tournament this weekend.

I respect TC but it's certainly not sunshine and rainbows over there. I've seen nothing but negativity surrounding gears 4 and it's awful micro transactions

Rammyy is one of the nicest people I've met playing Halo over the years. Honestly, he made the competitive scene a lot more interesting for my girlfriend and I. We've always followed the scene, but it was a lot more fun cheering on a friend. 

He got as close as you can get to the top 8 without getting there. Which is disappointing; but he's young and this is not really a life to you can live without being top 3 so I'm happy to see he's thinking long term here and doing what is best for himself. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I respect TC but it's certainly not sunshine and rainbows over there. I've seen nothing but negativity surrounding gears 4 and it's awful micro transactions

They've certainly paid better respect to their own franchise as a new company and to Esports, which was all we ever asked for as the halo community.
  • Upvote (+1) 2