CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

How much smaller was the twitch viewership this year vs last year?

Last year we got a shot in the arm from Summit when he hosted the channel to the tune of probably 10k viewers (i think he had like 20k at the time, so im assuming half of them stayed).  This year he didn't, which i dont blame him for.

The beginning of the series had 57k, the end of the series had about 71k.  if the series had gone 7 games we could have gotten a bunch more viewers.

He had 20k+ under the Halo category and iirc it peaked at like 98k with him.

We might've had about equal viewers this year than last tbh.

Yes, Evolved settings would suddenly save Halo esports....

C'mon man. Its not that simple. If it was, Beach Lan would be pulling 100k viewers.

This is a reddit quality response.

I really don't know how to respond because I'm baffled.

I guess switching to zbns in reach was a bad decision too because...hCE events 10 years after that game launched don't draw many players.

Because...that makes total sense

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 7

I can't stand seeing it on a stream where someone is Spartan Charging or Ground Pounding and the casters fake getting excited about it like it's something really cool. The "new" mechanics (sprint included) are a dumpster fire. I understand that Halo was getting thrashed by Call of Duty and they saw it as they had to adapt to compete. I get it from a business sense, but they basically just shit on the players of the game. From a lore perspective, I totally get it too. You're operating a superhuman via augmented musculature and lifelong training, not to mention the supersuit they're wearing, so why shouldn't they be able to spring and thrust and all this other bullshit? Well because it makes for atrocious gameplay (again, IMO). It's been covered a lot prior to this post so I'm just gonna be done with it here after this next sentence. These gameplay mechanics have absolutely no business being in Halo.

You can't say you understand why 343 went in the direction of Call of Duty with Halo and then knock them for it, running on walls captures the imagination of the average gamer, so does sprint and other abilities.

The people that truly understand why, is such a small part of the community so it doesn't make sense business wise to continue with the franchise if the majority isn't willing to evolve with the game and yet they are.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Don't forget the 1 post by the random gears dev (assuming that was legit) lmao

And on a side note I hope they don't think this community/Halo just trashes gears/them (because its quite the opposite) based on that one tweet that was brought to their attention.

Yep, he was real.

The Coalition has an amazing team that cares about the gaming community, props to them and can't wait to watch their tournament this weekend.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ive always felt my vision has been a big let down as to why I can't play to a better ability (and I'm crap). With no vision in my left eye, even in 14 inch screens I deliberately have to move my head to ensure that I take notice of the entire surroundings of the screen, bigger screens are even more of a nuisance. 

That must be gold for trash talk though if say, someone like Parasite starts shit talking, he can outgun a guy with two thumbs :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

He had 20k+ under the Halo category and iirc it peaked at like 98k with him.

We might've had about equal viewers this year than last tbh.

Viewership was about the same on the /Halo chanel. Summit definitely contributed a lot to the directory overall. If I had to guess we were maybe 2-3k below but I don't have access to those numbers anymore so FeelaBadMan.

That's not counting Xbox from 2016 as well and while Twitter is also in question I'm certain it contributed quite a few eyeballs as well but lord knows how that data is tracked.

• Upvote (+1) 2

All things considered, I honestly think the first step towards improvement should be employing an esports community manager. Sketch either isn't phased by esports or already has his hands full with the rest of the community.

Employ somebody (my vote is for @thesimms) to engage with the communities, listen to feedback and provide answers. That alone will get the ball rolling.

• Upvote (+1) 8

You can't say you understand why 343 went in the direction of Call of Duty with Halo and then knock them for it, running on walls captures the imagination of the average gamer, so does sprint and other abilities.

The people that truly understand why, is such a small part of the community so it doesn't make sense business wise to continue with the franchise if the majority isn't willing to evolve with the game and yet they are.

Of course you can understand and knock them for it.  Im not saying it was sprint alone that caused drops in population but halo already had a large, established fanbase that was used to no sprint/abilities or whatever.  Arguably halo and COD were the 2 biggest console shooters back at the end of H3, changing your game to more similar to your main competitions game just seems silly.  At the end of the day people like different games, i play halo cos i like halo for a number of reasons, its similarity to COD or whatever game has no impact on how much i like it.

Dont get me wrong i like H5 but much of its success stems from having halo in its name.  Otherwise it would prob be on the same kind of level as titanfall or something.  Not a bad game but is gone pretty quick.  Im not saying halo should immediately revert to H3 or CE but capturing some of what made it unique would be a big bonus for many people.  Im all for carefully thought out 'evolution' of a game but not when it involves copying other games just because they are popular.

I really hope that the myth of Mikwen being the weak link of nV is finally dispelled after this weekend.

Is it OLA now?

Only person I could possibly see leaving nV is Huke - either to team with Bubu or go back to COD. I don't think nV would drop him, even if he did have a few rough plays in the finals today.

Wha? I don't think dropping Huke is something any team would consider even if he played like absolute garbage for an entire tournament. Best player in the game outside of OG, and literally any team who wants to beat OG will need Huke on it.

-moronic post-

You do realize Mikwen was shitting all weekend, right?

Hitmarkers or not I'm still going to spam grenades where i think the other players are going to be.

That isn't the point. Without the hit markers, you may spam a grenade and move on because you don't know you hit someone with it. As it stands now, it's a long-range radar that also deals significant damage.

Hysteria has absolutely no place to talk about toxicity. His last competitive effort was pretty much him berating Randa (who was clearly outplaying him) for an entire day on stream.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can't say I'd want to decrease the team shot meta. Not sure if I'm missing something but it makes getting set ups more rewarding and breaking them harder, but also more rewarding.

I think the best thing to do for absolute 100% sure is remove AR as a starting weapon, along with SR and just have 1 SMG/PR on the map as a T2 power weapon

It decreases the power of individual play if teams shotting was what halo was all about I'd be okay with that but ce was all about individual play.

It decreases the power of individual play if teams shotting was what halo was all about I'd be okay with that but ce was all about individual play.

I'd argue H3 was far more about team shooting than individual shooting though, so it has what Halo was about at some point

I have not read this here, but i wanted to share a little anology that i thought of last night about the "Halo is still growing so get over the shitty venue" comments.

Whether or not Halo is growing is totally irrelevant. Even if we accept the argument that halo is still growing, we need to put our best foot forward. Its like showing up to an interview for an entry level job, yeah it doesn't pay much and in the end you're really a nobody to them, but you still wear a fucking suit and tie. This weekend Halo showed up to the "Serious esport wanted" interview wearing board shorts and sunglasses.

A $5 Billion dollar franchise with Microsoft behind it should never let that happen. We knew the venue was shit for a long time before the even, but i thought they would at least spruce up the place. Turn the viewing tent into a party. like... fuck...

*makes post about professionalism and being taken seriously*

*said post is littered with poor grammar and vulgarities*

*RIP*

• Downvote (-1) 9

This is a reddit quality response.

I really don't know how to respond because I'm baffled.

I guess switching to zbns in reach was a bad decision too because...hCE events 10 years after that game launched don't draw many players.

Because...that makes total sense

This is a response that isn't grounded in reality at all.  What do the reach changes have to do with with today? nothing. at all.  They have to do with reach.  NBNS reach didn't save competitive then and the only changes was to remove sprint and bloom.

Evolved settings change so many things that the game becomes unrecognizable as Halo 5. The current disk maps just dont work like they were designed. NBNS reach didn't do that, it still very clearly played like Reach just without the randomness.  You can't compare the 2.

And be aware this is not be bashing the evolved settings, I have played them before and like them, but to think that they would suddenly fix competitive halo is ludicrous.

• Upvote (+1) 3

*makes post about professionalism and being taken seriously*

*said post is littered with poor grammar and vulgarities*

*RIP*

Ripping an incredibly legitimate post because the grammar isn't thesis-level and there are a couple swears in it on an internet forum LULZ

gtfo

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1