CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

What are the chances 343 makes a statement regarding the venue issues? 

Or do you think they are just hoping everyone forgets about it?

Either they hope everyone forgets about it or they use scapegoats (probably us) and push the blame elsewhere like usual.

gotta love the salt at the halo reddit. no offense to the guys on NV, but it's always funny when the same people giving frosty shit will make up a million excuses when others do the same thing.

They realise why he was doing it though right?

Probably the latter. 343 has no morals whatsoever.

If I were a betting man, it would be that they dont say a word about it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Snip

ESL is very much to blame, as they have certainly underserved the community, but 343 is ultimately to blame, because its their responsibility to make sure their product is always be presented in good light. They chose ESL, and ESL has failed to deliver, in some fashion, at every event they ran. If 343 wont hold esl accountable, then we should hold 343 accountable.

If i was Paying someone to run a $1 million tournament, any facilitator I contract would have to CONFIRM that an adequate venue has been secured well in advance. Announcing to the public two months before the event that you couldn't find a good spot, is completely unacceptable.

• Upvote (+1) 4

ESL is very much to blame, as they have certainly underserved the community, but 343 is ultimately to blame, because its their responsibility to make sure their product is always be presented in good light. They chose ESL, and ESL has failed to deliver, in some fashion, at every event they ran. If 343 wont hold esl accountable, then we should hold 343 accountable.

If i was Paying someone to run a $1 million tournament, any facilitator I contract would have to CONFIRM that an adequate venue has been secured well in advance. Announcing to the public two months before the event that you couldn't find a good spot, is completely unacceptable.

I completely agree, and this is what I was inferring with my initial post. However, as there has been issues when it comes to ESL and Halo in the past and 343 have done nothing (so suffice it to say that they're staying around) it's best that we also point out their issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

definitely agree. if you are going to put your name on a product, it's your responsibility to make sure its good

• Downvote (-1) 1

Honestly, i would think very highly of a decision from 343 and/or esl to come out and admit that the venue was a complete disappointment and a slap in the face to players who've worked hard to get to world's and the fans who wanted to support them.

But given that their approach to valid criticsm has been to ignore it and hope it goes away, i wont hold my breath.

They'd go a long way towards earning some respect from me if they'd just own up to something for once.

• Upvote (+1) 1

After events it's not a coincident that comments like these are always made exclusively by losing teams

As if the criticism for some of the horrible balance and setting decisions is somehow invalid, even though they lower the skill gap in this game. The fact that OG isn't making a push for these changes is more alarming TBH, as having a bigger skill ceiling could make their team much harder to beat if they continued grinding.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I unfortunately wasn't on here much during HWC (caught every minute of the broadcast tho!) but I'm about to catch up. Shout out to you guys for giving me 200+ pages of content to read. See you on the other side.  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'd like to chime in with my point of view. There are many people that are criticising the event, but saying that it is purely 343's fault not ESL's, which just isn't the case.

I, like my other European competitors, were blessed with having Gfinity as the TO for our qualifier event. While there were a lot of issues regarding the venue and it's disclosure, it has to be the best venue Halo has ever had to date, it is one of the most iconic stadiums in the west. The entire event ran rather smoothly with essentially zero down time. This is coming from a company which has only held one other Halo 5 LAN event (2016 worlds). So, the statement and supposition that 'Halo is still growing' and thus deserves the most mediocre of venues is baseless and idiotic to say the least. If you want something to grow, you need to provide a platform (venue in this case) in which it can. A room with only press/staff and VIPs, and tent with a projector and tiny monitor does not count; this can be done in a single person's backyard.

I think the big thing for me with the EU Qualifier event was that I didn't even hear about it being at Wembley originally, I took a little bit of a break from competitive Halo and such to focus on studies and real life (heck one of the reasons I had to come back on here because I got an email notification saying my yearly subscription has auto renewed thank you VERY MUCH FOR THAT jk). I heard about the venue selection from a friend of mine who has absolutely no clue about competitive gaming as a whole, and he said it was quite interesting. Gfinity got potentially the largest sports arena in Europe to host a Halo tournament. Yeah it wasnt the 90,000 capacity, but its Wembley. Bobby Moore lifted a world cup there, we broke the goal posts there where Thatcher branded us hooligans, and now a Halo tournament.

So to see the World Championships were relegated to practically a Bargain Hunt-esque marquee and a 120 VIP only seating area, probably the biggest let down of the whole event for me. Gameplay was spot on, commentators were fantastic, players were great, almost everything went well.  Except the venue.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I completely agree, and this is what I was inferring with my initial post. However, as there has been issues when it comes to ESL and Halo in the past and 343 have done nothing (so suffice it to say that they're staying around) it's best that we also point out their issues.

Yeah we dont know what the details of 343s contract with ESL are. Any time 343 responds to criticsm of ESL its fluff about how good a partner ESL has been and how they are confident that ESL will continue deliver.

The truth is ESL has stunted the growth of the competitive scene and made halo esports a running joke within the industry. And 343 PAID THEM TO DO THIS!

I can only assume that the contract is long term, so 343 cant nix them, and won't bad mouth someone they are actively working with.Couple that with an HCS team that routinely making rookie mistakes and you have a recipe for disaster.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well we now have one of the largest personalities in all of E-sports speak out against 343,  Will it change anything, probably not, they will ignore him like they ignored us.

The worlds venue was a disgrace, they asked us to be patient, they asked us to give them a chance, and this was there end product, a fucking tent with a projector, we have literally gone back to the halo 1 era, with venues like this.

Hec'z just showed 800,000 people how patheitc our competitive scene is. 

343 has managed to make e-sports look like a joke.

The players and the community deserve better.

We need more outrage.

Can any community members from here tell us what the experience was like from them, was it worth the money?, Would you have gone if you had known what the viewer experience would be?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Rostermania already blew over 1 of the signs

DKGG0kX.jpg

This didn't make me laugh, it made me genuinely sad.

Good metaphor for the Halo franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 2

@ - 68 posts

Lol he has more posts than all 343 employee's combined, except for possibly the pro team.

• Upvote (+1) 1