CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

That is the brilliance of HCE. The entry level of it is so simple but then there are just fucking layers and layers and layers that reveal themselves

I know we've been off topic here, but I thought I'd comment on this part.

When I asked Hardy LeBel what his influence was for Halo CE's multiplayer, he listed Vigilante 8 as one of the games. For those that don't know what Vigilante 8 is, it's the PG version of Twisted Metal that was available on N64. It's a very fun arena driving shooting game that anyone could pick up and play. He wanted Halo CE to feel like that, a game where 4 people who never touched an xbox controller can pick up the sticks, walk around and have fun.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Its NOT 'basically' the same as CE. And if you don't think streamlining the gameplay and making it more accessible didnt have ANYTHING to do with its success i dont know what to tell you, other than you are wrong. Bungie wouldnt have made those changes if they didnt think it would allow more people to have more fun with the game.

But you are right in that the changes bungie made were better recieved as fun additions to the sandbox.

I think you're missing the point. In what way was it more accessible from the perspective of a casual player? I'm sure a lot of the people here are well aware of the differences in terms of shooting skill requirement, spawn manipulation, physics, fall damage, melee mechanics, and so on, but from the perspective of the audience for whom "accessibility" is a major factor, almost none of these things are significant in the slightest. This is the reason that basically the only mechanical difference your average casual player can discern is that CE featured the "OP" magnum. None of the differences that hardcore CE players would have disliked are things that your casual audience or people who haven't even played Halo would notice in the slightest. None of these things are barriers to entry for Jimmy No Thumbs to start up a game with friends, grasp the basics of the game, and have a blast driving around in a warthog.

It seems to me that people have a lot of trouble separating the perspective of hardcore players from that of the majority of the audience. The majority of the "accessibility" changes bungie made in their sequels hamstrung high level players and had almost no impact on the bulk of the playerbase. From that perspective, the basics of the gameplay remained much the same for at least the first three games. It's in a ton of little details that you see the questionable design decisions and continued decline.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Yeah, I am. Literally the only thing here that is accurate is the microtransaction system (which IS bad). Please do explain how they have been "scummy" in any of these other respects. They communicate consistently, their patches have been more significant and transparent. The weapon tuning? How in the fuck do they make 343 look like saints with the WEAPON tuning? 343 literally hasn't DONE ANY and theirs is entirely built around their "buy our microtransactions" cash cow game mode, while they provide nothing but lip service to competitive. What?

I do play it and, frankly, a bad cosmetic unlock system is pretty much the least of my worries. I would take a good Halo game with a somewhat worse microtransaction  system over a shitty Halo game that does it slightly better. I guess we can give 343 credit for making a slightly less awful, transparently manipulative gambling system? Great?

They don't communicate clearly. Just in the last update they made changes to visual representation of shots, but gave no information on what that meant. They also consistently say that they take feedback into consideration yet can't produce any outlets as to where the feedback comes from.

As to weapon tuning, the community has been clamoring for consistent numbers for weapon damages and a consistent tuning rather than the core vs competitive system that bastardizes GoW combat in all but two modes. Yea, no transparency in that.

You can't be serious when you say GoW has a slightly less awful and transparent gambling system. ROFL, you have a 24 hour pack that costs an amount of credits that is not possible to get in that amount of time priced at $10 all but forcing players to shell out actual cash for it. Their system is deplorable.

I get you look to poo-poo anything 343 Halo related. That's fine. Doing that by saying The Coalition is great when you don't seem to have an ear to the ground to their community isn't a way to do it. Gears community outside of eSports (which also has awful micros) is much worse off that Halo's at this point.

All this is off-topic though. Sorry if I've veered this thread off track. Just don't think Halo is the only franchise that has a community that can be dissatisfied. It isn't all gloom and doom.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I think you're missing the point. In what way was it more accessible from the perspective of a casual player? I'm sure a lot of the people here are well aware of the differences in terms of shooting skill requirement, spawn manipulation, physics, fall damage, melee mechanics, and so on, but from the perspective of the audience for whom "accessibility" is a major factor, almost none of these things are significant in the slightest. This is the reason that basically the only mechanical difference your average casual player can discern is that CE featured the "OP" magnum. None of the differences that hardcore CE players would have disliked are things that your casual audience or people who haven't even played Halo would notice in the slightest. None of these things are barriers to entry for Jimmy No Thumbs to start up a game with friends, grasp the basics of the game, and have a blast driving around in a warthog.

It seems to me that people have a lot of trouble separating the perspective of hardcore players from that of the majority of the audience. The majority of the "accessibility" changes bungie made in their sequels hamstrung high level players and had almost no impact on the bulk of the playerbase. From that perspective, the basics of the gameplay remained much the same for at least the first three games. It's in a ton of little details that you see the questionable design decisions and continued decline.

You dont think a casual player would notice that its easier to shoot people, recharging health minimized the penalty of taking damage, its easier to navigate without hurting yourself, easier to melee etc

You're basically asking "without naming these specific ways the game was more accessible, how was it more accessible?"

Its crazy. I was never i high level player. In any halo. Same goes for everyone i run with. It was immediately clear how much easier H2 was. Simply put, you can easily do things that were hard in CE.

A casual player might be less likely to pin point why the game feels more accessible. But they would surely feel it.

Also the playerbase isnt just split between high level or casual. Many fall somewhere in between, And they arent idiots.

@@TheSimms

Is there going to be a rule book for this Worlds season coming out at some point?

Because I'd like some offical clarification on whether or not top teams that have already qualified at earlier LANs won't be locked out of future LANs. (Assuming the rule book covers that)

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I get you look to poo-poo anything 343 Halo related. That's fine. Doing that by saying The Coalition is great when you don't seem to have an ear to the ground to their community isn't a way to do it. Gears community outside of eSports (which also has awful micros) is much worse off that Halo's at this point.

lmfao. I get that you look to make excuses for anything 343 Halo related. That's fine. Doing that by exaggerating the issues with other developers and assuming I am not aware of how the game is being run just makes you look like an idiot.

​Keep up the apologetics, though. You're totally right, sport. 343's scum-fuck micro-transaction system is marginally better than The Coalition's (you seem to have misread, because I didn't say GoW's was better). It's a wonderful time to be a Halo fan. And actually endeavoring to appeal to multiple audiences (I say this as someone who despises "Core" tuning) is totally worse than completely ignoring the complaints all elements of the audience have about the settings and forcing a fuck awful compromise that bastardizes Halo gameplay in EVERY FUCKING MODE down everyone's throats. And don't even get me started about transparency and feedback. TC may not be flawless (I didn't say they were), but 343 is one of the WORST IN THE INDUSTRY in that regard. Oh, but now they're "looking into" "recent feedback" about radar. PRAISE BARVO, WE ARE FUCKING SAVED. If only The Coalition could respond to such issues in a mere 13 months time. At least they made a game that was decent at launch to soften the blow.

/s

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Dashing through the map

With the sniper tucked away

Up snipe ramp we go

Headshots all the way

Pew pew pew

Watching your foes flee

As their bodies drop tonight

Oh what fun it is to delete

Faces off servers tonight

Ooooooooooohhhhhhh

Double kill, triple kill, overkill hooray!

Oh what fun it is to have stable servers today, hey!

happyhalodays.jpg

FTFY

lmfao. I get that you look to make excuses for anything 343 Halo related. That's fine. Doing that by exaggerating the issues with other developers and assuming I am not aware of how the game is being run just makes you look like an idiot.

​Keep up the apologetics, though. You're totally right, sport. 343's scum-fuck micro-transaction system is marginally better than The Coalition's (you seem to have misread, because I didn't say GoW's was better). It's a wonderful time to be a Halo fan. And actually endeavoring to appeal to multiple audiences (I say this as someone who despises "Core" tuning) is totally worse than completely ignoring the complaints all elements of the audience have about the settings and forcing a fuck awful compromise that bastardizes Halo gameplay in EVERY FUCKING MODE down everyone's throats. And don't even get me started about transparency and feedback. TC may not be flawless (I didn't say they were), but 343 is one of the WORST IN THE INDUSTRY in that regard. Oh, but now they're "looking into" "recent feedback" about radar. PRAISE BARVO, WE ARE FUCKING SAVED. If only The Coalition could respond to such issues in a mere 13 months time. At least they made a game that was decent at launch to soften the blow.

/s

Okay, bud. You've missed the point of pointing out the glaring flaws with TC. All good though. Have a happy holiday.

Anyone know if the new settings are going to be extended to default maps in customs and Team Skirmish playlist?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

You dont think a casual player would notice that its easier to shoot people, recharging health minimized the penalty of taking damage, its easier to navigate without hurting yourself, easier to melee etc

You're basically asking "without naming these specific ways the game was more accessible, how was it more accessible?"

Yes. They would not notice those things. They DO NOT notice those things. I refer you to the "OP Magnum" issue.

And no, I'm not asking that. I'm saying that these are not factors that meaningfully contributed to significantly greater enjoyment for casual players, because they had marginal influence on the experience of playing at that level.

really don't want E6 to stay in the scene.

Say bye bye to your uncle and mother. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes. They would not notice those things. They DO NOT notice those things. I refer you to the "OP Magnum" issue.

And no, I'm not asking that. I'm saying that these are not factors that meaningfully contributed to significantly greater enjoyment for casual players, because they had marginal influence on the experience of playing at that level.

Like i said, you seem to think the player base is either high level or garbage tier casual. There's always been a massive base of players who fall somewhere in between who are more than capable of knowing the differences.

The op magnum does not summarize everyones opinion. And even if it did, it wouldn't prevent someone from understanding that more aim assist, more homing weapons, regenerating health, dropping w/o damage = easier

The randomness of octagon opponents is great. I've been utterly humiliated and also forced people to rage quit. I actually feel like I can improve my game now

Agree, I play octagon every day now ... it's usually super-sweaty high onyx kids so I've really been forced to get better.