CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So, will they start with losers semis or will there be FFA's destroying my chances of watching more than 1 series?

As much shit as ESL/HCS are getting, the commentators are doing a great job. I haven't even seen a StrongSide complaint so that's even better.

Salutes to you guys.

Props where its due, the stream, games and commentary/analysis has been amazing. Cant wait for the games today.

This thread is seriously turning into a cesspool.  You guys think you do no wrong here and are the absolute right in all things Halo.  Get a grip - you aren't.  I watched Halo on twitch yesterday for about 6 hours of my day and loved every second of it.  It is why I still play and will continue to play Halo probably until I die.  I come on here to see some discussions and predictions and all i see is bitching and whining over some cherry-picked troll photos of an overflow tent.  Sure the venue could be better but why the fuck can't this place pull its head out of its own vagina and actually be a place where people WANT to come and talk about Halo.  You aren't getting Halo CE, 2, or 3 back.  If you are ok with being a dying community who hangs onto that and lets all your negativity and rage show face then good luck.  MediaBrute, Moses, and a few others are the main reasons I still keep this site book-marked but now I have to wade through pages of shit to see anything relevant to actually promoting the Halo... which is FINE by the way unless you didn't notice 20k + viewers on a console exclusive.  The Doc would slice every one of you chubby cheek, bad breath, punk kids up and get this forum back into shape.

Yeah so, I am pretty sure the DOC would completely destroy 343 for Halo 4, MCC, Halo 5, and the venue choice. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

Lets enjoy the final day guys. I'm hoping for all insane matches!

I'd love to see a losers run to win the event from Str8 or nV

I feel that nV are more likely, they're probably the better team to challenge Liquid to a good Losers finals. If Str8 go through I ser Liquid 4-0'ing though.

Optic should dominate whatever team though.

I've lost an interest in gaming and been on a short break from this site and will probably go on break again after this event. I haven't paid attention to this season. Even before, outside of Championship Sunday I never really paid attention to events unless it was mentioned in these threads but I loved to see the banter and drama that came with it and an honored to be a part of the rise of memes on this site.

I almost thought about going this year(just to respark an interest and meet people I've known online for years) with it taking place at the start of my spring break but I wasn't willing to spend that much as a college student currently. If Worlds does happen again and it's in a more reasonable location with a good bit of time between announcement and start of the event then I would love to go and meet the people I've become friends with through here, THC, and Halo in general.

Even before this event I felt like having Worlds next year would be a stretch unless some big and notable changes happened. I really hope those changes happen now with venue, geographical location, and just something to spice the game and event up. I would love to go to a legitimate event with not just great games and amazing players but also the atmosphere and have the ability to meet the people I've become friends with at the same time before I graduate. I feel like after that it'd be too difficult to experience.

I, like I imagine all of us, don't want to see failure, don't want to have reasons to complain, and just want to enjoy something.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Starting with FFA is good, for the first time ever that can be said. Let the viewers build up first. Plus there's only three series today anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lceKNdHv-I

Did Up to Speed get posted yet?

Really interesting episode, looks like Towey may be done with coaching :( Twins still unsure on their future as well.

2gre would be a much better coach for that team honestly.

I still think they should stick with contra and just find one. But we'll see what roster mania has in store

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just because something lives outside of your personal experience (global warming, poor in-person spectator experience for the second-largest Halo prize pool of all time for example) doesn't make it not true.

The people arguing that we should shut up about the venue because the stream has been lit are a part of the problem.  I see 2 conversations happening over the last 2 days.  1) when games are lit, the people here are too.  We're talking about the games and being excited. posting memes and clips.  2) when there is downtime we are bitching about the venue, and legitimately so.  

Think of the bitching about the venue as us advocating for the people that paid good money to go see some fine ass halo get played yet have to watch a single, terribly interlaced screen in a goddamn tent because they dont have the right ticket type/there isn't enough room in the main venue.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Is it good or bad that Kotaku is reporting on how shabby our venue is?

http://compete.kotaku.com/fans-are-ripping-the-halo-world-championship-for-its-sh-1793643606

Bad and Good at the same time. 

The venue choice is not optimal for a "World Championship" which I think 343 and ESL have conceded at some point themselves. Aside from the venue, this is just another problem on the long list of HCS issues that hopefully can receive some attention, it just sucks that it literally took their bad decision making going viral, and dragging Halo eSports through the mud on the highest levels, to even expect some kind of a reaction. Halo eSports is never on the offensive, always reacting and on the defensive, never ahead of the curve.

I personally think a restructuring of the Halo eSports team is in order at the very least. 

Doesn't Doc spend most of his time complaining about how bad the developers and servers are for H1Z1?

The Doc has pretty much switched to PUBG. This could either help or hurt Ninja's H1 stream. On one hand he will have a chance to steal some of Doc's viewers (people apparently like to watch that shit hole game). On the other hand H1 has a serious chance of dying after the 300k on The CW. Luckily Ninja has built up a pretty impressive following on Twitch.

I feel that nV are more likely, they're probably the better team to challenge Liquid to a good Losers finals. If Str8 go through I ser Liquid 4-0'ing though.

nV is the only team I think can really give Optic a run for their money. All four of them are on top of their game right now.

Sweet events help build the community.

I WANT to go to an event but it has to be worth it. With the quality they put out now, I would drive 6 hours tops. Build a better atmosphere and put on a better show... and I'll make it a priority to attend distance be damned. I'm sure others are in the same boat.

edit: also, yes I want to see heavy weights such as Optic, NV, and Liquid duke it out... but I also want to see ryanoob's team make a run, upset a squad or two, and get top 6. We don't have that opportunity anymore.

While I know it's highley unlikely that anyone will be OpTic especially after yesterday, I like to think back to 1980 Olympic hockey team.

I think Herb said something like "if we played them 10 times they might win 9, but not this game one."

So many good story lines today, Can Optic remain the juggernaut power house, can Liquid recover from a rough day 2, can Nv continue the 4-0 loser bracket magic or will Str8 give us another game 7 4-3 win series 3 days in a row and advance to top 3 shit is wild.

I can now proudly display my minion and power user status with a gold bar. Thanks Beyond.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is it good or bad that Kotaku is reporting on how shabby our venue is?

http://compete.kotaku.com/fans-are-ripping-the-halo-world-championship-for-its-sh-1793643606

I'm pretty sure it'll be a good thing long been a long time since Halo has had this much public spotlight.

MS can't be happy that the spotlight is entirely negative. Hopefully, this forces higher ups to push for more competence from 343s management.

Of course the opposite response is possible and MS could grow weary of the investment, but esports is a rapidly growing market and I think they want their slice. All it takes is one analyst to look at Gears growth compared to Halo's stagnation to realize that with the correct people in charge this scene could thrive.

On another note, the lack of Req Packs this weekend is a tragedy. If Tashi tweeted that 30 codes will be given out today, WZ kids would Flood the stream.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find it interesting that the guy who runs MLG can frequently comment here during our events and his own events. The only time Timo has posted here in recent memory was to claim we had 80k viewers (obviously inflated) and never came back.

Then you have people like Ace saying "well they are a MLG circlejerk". Now Ace, I understand you have connections to ESL, however, that isn't really a valid point. Do you know why we like MLG here? Because Adam is a part of our community. Is the problem seriously that the people running the game are too sensitive? Can they not take criticism to the point where they'd rather ignore their community then read criticism? 

Yet, during this event they come here and post "we hear you and we're open to feedback". Give me a break. 

And let's be honest. If Frank's post didn't explode on Twitter, several of you would sit here and call him negative. But look what happened! People on the outside saw the state of the way events are being run and it became a joke. Clearly the issue isn't with us. We're an easy target.

We have journalists who are at the event who are going to write articles about how much of a joke the event is: https://twitter.com/Kevin_Hitt/status/845845024231239680

When outside neutral sources are going "this is terrible", maybe it isn't OUR fault, and perhaps yours. This is your event after all. No one here supported the venue and we were "negative" when it was announced. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

As a Halo fan for 10+ years: 

It sucks that Halo's biggest event of 2017 has been reduced to a deflated balloon carnival meme, and ridiculed across mainstream eSports.

The worst part about it for me is that the venue issue was more than likely completely avoidable if it was simply planned in advance.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I'm rooting for Str8 to play well today and upset NV in a game 7, thats all i can wish for, would be epic!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I Agree with pretty much everything here but really want to emphasize the campaign point and add SPLIT SCREEN and LAN.

I got into Halo freshman year of college (im old around here). it was right after Halo 2 released. As a PC gamer previously, I was not interested in getting a console.

I spent hours that year in the dorm playing Halo 2 split-screen campaign and stupid custom games. The whole dorm was on the same lan so you could always just plug into the wall and play lan with anybody anywhere in the building. and shortly after got a Live account and xbox of my own and have owned every halo game since.

That is the experience that sold me not just on the game, but the ecosystem as a whole. Halo 5 fucked up big time with all of that.

It feels right to have those things in the game. It would have been better if they delayed the game to get those items working than to release it when they did.

And to address a previous point, you dont need to use Evolved setting to make the game competitive. Come on now, nobody at 343 is going to bite on that. There are really only a few things that need to be done

Adopt the new radar. Officially on monday. just do it.

remove the AR as a starting weapon. Its OP as it is, and everybody starts with one? come on.... we have been asking for this since day 1.

PROPERLY balance the Auto's. also a day 1 request.

fix the "easy mode" map pickups.

Settings-wise, thats really it. Auto rebalancing and taking other things off of "easy mode" will benefit the game as a whole, so thats not even esports specific.

just fucking do it.

Oh ya. Totally forgot to mention splitscreen. Which is huge.

Halo has really just lost that party game fps feel that it used to pull off so well.