CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

It doesn't make sense. MS has Halo and GoW. Halo was larger than GoW as far as a competitive scene goes. Thus Halo gets the second shittiest tournament organization (excluding the EU guys because they're great) we've experienced and GoW ends up with MLG and a team that actually cares. Suddenly we're playing worlds in a venue where even if you wanted to show up and watch you pretty much get stuck in a tent for overflow since it has seating for 120 people while GoW is putting on nice events at good venues with top tier production value. The problem is obviously the people in charge. Its not because its a console exclusive because a smaller IP and scene under the same company is doing it 100x better at the same time. Passion and experience is obviously required if this is going to work.

We're all still out here trying to watch and support but someone needs to step up and actually do a good job if we're going to grow.

it's infuriating. Surely Microsoft sees what's happening. I would think that they would've stepped in by now and done something.

It's also more annoying because the gameplay has kept on getting better and better. Yet everything else is dragging it down. It's also annoying because we know the potential and how good of a scene it could be, but it isn't because of those in charge

So you believe the settings we have now are worse than it was last worlds?

Don't tell me what you want the settings to be. We're directly comparing this year to last year.

A marginal improvement at best and even that is arguable. They moved some things around maps, removed a few things that were shit, added some new stuff that is shit. And last HWC didn't have players abusing the fuck out of on-map rifles, carbine especially, and the idiotic brute plasma rifle. The meta overall has gotten more obnoxious and none of the changes address that. Keep up the mental gymnastics, though.

i just want to see the back end of quinn and tashi. despite how nice they might be, there is no metric by which anyone can say they have succeeded. 

this is quinns second failing with a franchise. at least he'll go down in the history books. 

I don't know. On one hand, I get the glumness of being the laughingstock of the internet on what should be your biggest day. On the other hand, maybe the universal acknowledgement of how badly the ball was dropped here will get us the sort of communication we've been asking for for ages. It's just so frustrating to see them throwing million dollar prize pools at the scene whilst ignoring the fundamental issues stimying growth. just fucking talk to your fans

I just would like to say the following:

It is extremely telling when we have developers from Gears of War (which we have never done anything for, hosting any tournaments, and hardly any content around) and Staff from MLG (which hasn't hosted Halo on a consistent basis in since the inception of the HCS, years at this point) posting in the Halo World Championship discussion thread.

Meanwhile, 343 (The Halo Studio) has not posted or interacted in months. 

and this is so true and at this point it's gone from frustrating to just sad. The relationship between 343 and the Halo community is baffling to me. The closest thing we get to their input seems to be Neighbour posting from time to time these days

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't actually believe ESL thinks the venue is that bad.

That's the issue.

The HCS was talked about today on several communities and it wasn't about the quality of the matches, the pros, the stellar casting by guys like Simms or Tsquared. But over the venue. It was a laughingstock today with memes galore and pros from other games laughing. If ESL doesn't get it after this, there is no hope.

• Upvote (+1) 6

todaays matches will be good, honestly happy with whatever outcome all these teams deserve anything between 1st and 4th

Okay, interested to see if this what happened this weekend will affect the future of competitive Halo in any way. Pretty sure that balloons will haunt us for a very long time to come.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Okay, interested to see if this what happened this weekend will affect the future of competitive Halo in any way. Pretty sure that balloons will haunt us for a very long time to come.

at people will forget. Remember the tumble con thing with the ball pit. I only remembered it because someone posted a pic of that in response to the halo images

The saddest thing I find about all this is the fact in terms of production and gameplay levels, its some of the best we've had for a tournament in a while now, the match ups have all been fantastic and brilliant, but at the end of the day its still gonna be remembered as that event with a tent, a B stream with a 32 inch TV showcasting it, and a crowd with 60 people at our biggest tournament of the year.

Lets hope Sunday lives up to some real big hype though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Here's my question, are we worse off with venue that only has room for 60 viewers, or a venue that will hold 200+ and only has say 80-90 people not even filling up half the seats?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's my question, are we worse off with venue that only has room for 60 viewers, or a venue that will hold 200+ and only has say 80-90 people not even filling up half the seats?

I'm at sure even an east coast event would be able to fill 200 seats. So I'm going to say more seats >.

Also, does anyone know how many seats were available at last year's worlds

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it would have easily sold out a bigger better venue. Look at London, much bigger venue packed crowd and not even in NA where most of the fans are
  • Upvote (+1) 2

From the perspective of the guy, a spectator at HWC 2017 (whose last event attended was MLG Columbus 2010. Oh the memories):

Arrived at 8:45, like 8th in line. Everyone got let in at like 9:40, we had to go to the back of the line because we hadn't attended yesterday and didn't have passes, finally got in and they just checked our name, gave us passes.

The viewing tent isn't great, definitely not why I drove 5 hours and paid $60. B stream was probably the biggest disappointment, just the one small screen in the tent, and you had to actually stand up by it if you wanted audio.

Main stage has 60 normal seats, 30 legendary pass seats, and 30 player/VIP reserved seats. It's pretty cramped, but we definitely got hyped at times. If you got a seat, you better not give it up, it took us like 3-4 hours to get back in.

Overall it's just kind of disheartening. I'm glad I'm here, I'll always love watching good halo live. I hope a strong message is sent, and instead of just pumping money into prize pools, we get funding for amazing events and spectator experiences. Ignoring MLG's experience, not only as a TO, but with Halo specifically, is unwise.

Here's to an awesome Championship Sunday. Stay passionate, beyond.

There's really 120 seats in the venue? I'm not saying you're wrong but it really doesn't look that way

Just got caught up on the last 60 pages... I thought the stream had been going really well with the different combination of casters (mixing NA with EU casters), and I was excited by the really solid gameplay; come to the forums, andddddd wow....

Almost as bad as that viral conspiracy theory that Australia doesn't exist. 

edit: Oh, and um... LETS GO NV! -- When Mikwen is on his game, NV = top1

• Upvote (+1) 3

the second one is better, because your attendees will be comfortable. Your stream would probably avoid showing the crowd, and all would be ok.

But neither of those scenarios highlight the issue.

It's not like the small venue was chosen because ESL was being conservative on their attendance estimates. They didn't have a decent venue booked (apparently their planned location didn't workout), so they held the event on their own property. There's lowish attendence because they didn't have many tickets to sell.

Had they gotten a venue that seats 200+, and started selling ticket in advance, they would have had no issue filling the venue. Every event leading up to Worlds had more capacity. There's no reason to think that the actual Championship would have had less interest.

ESL just doesn't take the Live Event portion of their responsibilities seriously. We've had LAN locations announced 2 weeks before events, We've had LANs a K-pop conventions, now this! all they care about it the stream. Everything else is an after thought.

I want to say shame on 343 entering into a contract with such low standards, then I remember they shipped a game with no LAN support, and originally planned to have online competition be the heart of competitive play and it took massive outcries to make Open LANs a reality. So perhaps ESL is just out of their element...

I dunno, fuck it. I'm glad this venue became a viral joke. Im sure MS is much more 'interested' in HCS after becoming the laughing stock of the entire gaming community. They might have been content to let 343 just do their thing, but the constant negative publicity HAS to put them on thin ice.

• Upvote (+1) 6

So you believe the settings we have now are worse than it was last worlds?

Don't tell me what you want the settings to be. We're directly comparing this year to last year.

My argument (and I'm pretty sure Ninja's) is that Halo 5 in general has been handled worse than previous Halos. It's not about comparing this worlds to last worlds; otherwise, ninja wouldn't have said Halo was worse in every way except for the prize pool of the last TWO worlds.

The settings getting slightly better from the beginning of Halo 5 doesn't make up for the settings now being worse than previous Halo games except for default Reach.

I just would like to say the following:

It is extremely telling when we have developers from Gears of War (which we have never done anything for, hosting any tournaments, and hardly any content around) and Staff from MLG (which hasn't hosted Halo on a consistent basis in since the inception of the HCS, years at this point) posting in the Halo World Championship discussion thread.

Meanwhile, 343 (The Halo Studio) has not posted or interacted in months.

It is almost like if you ignore your eSports community , you might get some backlash. It is just approaching comical levels at this point.

My only hope at this point is a complete restructuring of the studio, franchise, and especially the HCS team. Both for esports and for the game in general.

I was just thinking how much I miss weekend double xps, holiday events, real BtB, more than 3 competitive game modes, and proper MLG tournaments.

Maybe next time I disappear for 6 months I'll come back and we'll have that but I'm not holding my breath.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My only hope at this point is a complete restructuring of the studio, franchise, and especially the HCS team. Both for esports and for the game in general.

I was just thinking how much I miss weekend double xps, holiday events, real BtB, more than 3 competitive game modes, and proper MLG tournaments.

Maybe next time I disappear for 6 months I'll come back and we'll have that but I'm not holding my breath.

They definately need new leadership across the board.

A general theme across at the studio is poor prioritization.

Whenever they begins a project, the things they choose to focus most of their attention on are NOT the things that are most important to the franchise.

How they hell do you have a 'competitive' shooter with no local MP support whatsoever? How do you a series known for its diversity with 3 gametypes? How is the most popular playlist completely absent at launch? Why are do lighting, geo, and art take precedent over players abilities see and move?

The only answer they can give is something like "game development is always about compromises. Due time constraints, in order to get X, we regrettably had to lose Y"

When Y is something critical, and no one asked for X, you have yourself a prioritization/management issue.

• Upvote (+1) 6