CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Bell curve of engagement based on time watched doesn't matter. Stats to consider is average time watched, uniques, and for the ego maniacs out there...peak concurrent (most useless stat in the world). Gears does very well with the key KPIs

How have Gears 4 LAN numbers gone? Also good job at Dallas. Your next LAN will be huge.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Why are you still messing up and what could you bring to Halo that ESL couldn't if they picked their pants up for once?

Is this a job interview now?

• Upvote (+1) 3

You mean creek Koth when Flamesword went like -23 and won? It was at the NBNS tournament that everyone showed up to before MLG dropped Halo

ah NBNS Reach, better than it had any right to be given the base game it came from.

(growth)

Okay are we talking about growing the viewership or competitive grassroots players because you seem to be dipsy doodling everywhere with your reasoning and arguments here. 

• Downvote (-1) 17

I wish I loved gears a fraction of how much I love Halo and wished I could watch it and be excited for it like I do Halo and support it more because everything she and the rest of the Coalition are doing is amazing. I wish the Coalition had the reigns to Halo. But its just not my game and I can't and that honestly bugs me.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Okay are we talking about growing the viewership or competitive grassroots players because you seem to be dipsy doodling everywhere with your reasoning and arguments here.

There is a correlation between the two; grassroots players and viewership, when you combine the two, that's called interest. MLG grows the interest in the competitive play of games. MLG knows what their doing. ESL has Meat Wagon Alley. What's so hard to comprehend?

• Upvote (+1) 1

idk man, i honestly regret replying to you in the first place

all i know is GoW viewership + lan attendance rivals and sometimes even exceeds what halo can muster

that doesn't make any sense

MS has invested $3.5M in two ESL worlds tournaments that have both been complete disappointments 

• Upvote (+1) 4

You accusing anyone of "dipsy doodling everywhere" with their reasoning is the funniest thing I've read today. The last two pages have been the most painful thing I've seen on this forum since this.

It's funny because you use memes to make friends and fit in with the crowd to resonate with them on a personal level yet I bet you lack any functional conversational skills and probably took transgender social studies at college and wonder why you didn't come out with a 100K paying job straight away.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Not sure how to respond to this last paragraph....but I'm your huckleberry.

I don't recall what audio issues happened at Xgames, but keep in mind we were in a tent on a ply wood floor on the side of a mountain...all literal statements. If we had minor issues, well I believe we did our best to fix them as fast as possible. For NA regionals, we swapped out one audio partners mix amp product for another. No excuses, the product wasn't up to par and we swapped it...after overnighting in the gear. With gears, we should have made the floor plan tighter, not a screw up, just not optimized. Lastly, COD is not throwing money at event budgets, what you see in ATL and Dallas is on a shoe string budget that I guarantee no one else could match penny for penny in the industry for what we squeeze out.

In conclusion, after 15 years why do we still mess up? Because for starters no one is perfect, events are mercurial, and still to this day no one in the industry (aside maybe riot) is applying TV quality budget to these projects to avoid bumps along the way. In Dallas we had 26 matches happening simultaneously while producing a main stage for thousands of fans while streaming to fans at home while managing a million other things.

Simply put, this is not easy.

The biggest mistake at x-games was not having Meat Wagons on the side of that mountain. You guys really blew it with that choice.

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

You accusing anyone of "dipsy doodling everywhere" with their reasoning is the funniest thing I've read today. The last two pages have been the most painful thing I've seen on this forum since this.

Oh fuck, is that the guy that was saying that east coast Halo is irrelevant because no big players come from the east coast anymore?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not saying I agree with it. Just sad to see one of the few times we make news its for the wrong reasons.

It's almost as if people are starting to notice the plethora of issues we keep talking about...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh fuck, is that the guy that was saying that east coast Halo is irrelevant because no big players come from the east coast anymore?

The very same.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The very same.

lmao

Not like the best player in the game is from Jersey or anything.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting day. That str8/Splyce match was nuts.

Love you guys <3

1 more day

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not sure how to respond to this last paragraph....but I'm your huckleberry.

I don't recall what audio issues happened at Xgames, but keep in mind we were in a tent on a ply wood floor on the side of a mountain...all literal statements. If we had minor issues, well I believe we did our best to fix them as fast as possible. For NA regionals, we swapped out one audio partners mix amp product for another. No excuses, the product wasn't up to par and we swapped it...after overnighting in the gear. With gears, we should have made the floor plan tighter, not a screw up, just not optimized. Lastly, COD is not throwing money at event budgets, what you see in ATL and Dallas is on a shoe string budget that I guarantee no one else could match penny for penny in the industry for what we squeeze out.

In conclusion, after 15 years why do we still mess up? Because for starters no one is perfect, events are mercurial, and still to this day no one in the industry (aside maybe riot) is applying TV quality budget to these projects to avoid bumps along the way. In Dallas we had 26 matches happening simultaneously while producing a main stage for thousands of fans while streaming to fans at home while managing a million other things.

Simply put, this is not easy.

Well thank you for response. I'm sure you will get millions of upvotes. I also thank you sincerely for answering. It's taken a long time for an actual answer (not aiming my crosshairs at you, people like to talk for you on here). However, you still seem to have a plethora of problems when running events. However small these might be, you still seem to have them and you consider yourself an industry veteran. The Halo audio problems, CoD ATL had stream quality issues and bad floor plans that honestly looked like an empty hall with 3 rows. 

I just can't fathom how these small problems still exsist. If you have 15+ years of experience, this should be sorted in the first 5, nevermind 10. A lot of other TOs have caught up. Riot is doing an amazing job. CS:GO is also catching up with events like Poland. The problem is, ESL is also working on a shoestring budget. They need to pick their quality up just as much. I am not happy with how things are going but you have had just as many problems as them. I just don't see how you can bring anything different. You were given chances. Also, you were offered H2A as you said but chose not to do it because of the shoestring budget yet ESL could pull it off. It's all a bit contradictory. They took an initial risk and they should be rewarded.

you will probably disagree with me saying but now H5 has backing and funding, MLG is calling. You didn't help us when we needed you. You cheered on that last event. The video is chilling. ESL took the risk. Let them have it, I say. If you weren't willing to do the best on the budget you were offered and ESL was, I can't see how you offer more. 

Thanks for the discussion. 

• Downvote (-1) 16

This is spot on. What you call "interest" I internally call hype. Hype is huge for a program. Fans and players need a reason to give a fuck. My design principles that my team operate against are easy:

PAR

Participation, Aspiration, Revenue. Everything we design must account for these criteria. I have internal manifestos written waxing on about this but to tldr it

Generate hype for a ton of people and don't lose your ass financially while doing it

What can we do to get you back with Halo. Surely we can't allow this to continue. Halo is MLG. MLG is Halo. You guys held down the fort even when Bungie was interested. Today you have the Halo World Championship be a laughingstock of a balloon picture on Reddit, Twitter, Vchan, Kotaku, GAF etc. You have pros and org owners cracking jokes.

How about all crowdfunding money from here on out goes to poaching Jack Felling from The Coalition? Hiring her would have a higher ROI than increasing prize pools for LANs tbh   :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 8

This is spot on. What you call "interest" I internally call hype. Hype is huge for a program. Fans and players need a reason to give a fuck. My design principles that my team operate against are easy:

PAR

Participation, Aspiration, Revenue. Everything we design must account for these criteria. I have internal manifestos written waxing on about this but to tldr it

Generate hype for a ton of people and don't lose your ass financially while doing it

This response hypes me, because it is a perfect example of people choosing to think and being successful as a direct result of that. You are successful because you choose to think. I don't want to get too philosophical, so I'll just stop there. Fundamentally, thank you for who you choose to be, Bruh.