CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I don't know, I don't think you're a true fan if you're not at least a LITTLE happy this is happening.

This will force ESL/HCS to maybe step up their game and either:

1. Provide leadership changes, hire new people

2. Bring on MLG

3. Invest more into the scene/esport

4. Never fucking pull this shit again

5. Convince high-level 343 employees to stop half-assing the support for H5 esports and instead just stop supporting it altogether, due to negative attention and the cost of putting on a larger event

• Upvote (+1) 1

fabe has made top 8 without beating a single NA team.

well ofcourse they have, getting top 6 is the equivalent of getting top 8 last worlds

You don't need to be a team owner to see that. He was being an elitist dick and who he is doesn't matter.

Agree his comment was a bit over the top. Sadly the meme frenzy is in full force.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The optics of this are abhorrent.  The pro scene is so competitive and has so many interesting story lines and this is just painful to look at.  Someone please call Xzibit to pimp our tournament.  

Long time lurker, first post.  Please be gentle.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I haven't kept up much with Halo in awhile but naturally am watching the championships.

It seems like 343/ESL have maintained their pattern of 1 step forward for every 2 steps back. We had a GREAT day of play yesterday and the stream has been great with good filler content and almost no downtime. It's a shame that will forever be overshadowed by this weird insistence from ESL and 343 to host these events on the west coast in small venues. I understand to a degree, that renting out or using a bigger venue and not filling it is detrimental also. But if I never see a Halo event at Burbank again it will be too soon.

I went to the League world championship semifinals in October at MSG. I was in the crowd for that insane SKT vs. ROX series. It was my 2nd live eSport event, the first being the pro league invitational at PAX East about a year ago. Obviously scale and context matters, but being at the League semifinals was insane. I don't live in NYC but visited for the weekend, and you could tell there was a League event going on if you were around. People were wearing memoribilia from teams and the game all over the place. MSG was packed way before the event went live, and there was a lot of energy waiting for the matches to start.

That's what disappoints me about this particular event. Halo should be pushing to sell out arenas like that. Would that have been possible for this event? Not a chance, but how is the scene ever going to get the opportunity to grow if we are limited for seemingly no reason by the folks in charge? From what I've seen, the amenities at Burbank don't seem bad at all. Full sized warthogs, swag tents, food trucks, and things like that are great. They give people in attendance something to remember and associate with a live event. But a tiny studio and a weird overflow tent don't do Halo's legacy any justice at all. If you put this event on the east coast in a reasonably sized venue I would bet money that the place would be full. 

It just sucks that any time 343 or ESL makes a positive move, there's an equal or greater move to set Halo back again. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Remember a few hours ago when the worst drama was whether or not to show EST or PST time zones?

• Upvote (+1) 5

exactly, the community can only do so much. since we don't have LAN its all in 343s hands unfortunately. this isnt ssbm 

Let's be honest here, even if we had LAN we wouldn't see some huge grassroots movement keeping the scene alive. That isn't what the Halo fanbase does. If it did we would have been running tournaments for past Halo games when we were handed shit like Halo 4. It doesn't matter than Halo doesn't have LAN because Halo fans aren't SSBM fans.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sad halo is in this state. If only they kept to the classic halo style with no sprint or other spartan abilities the scene probably wouldn't be dead af

• Downvote (-1) 1

I made a stink when the venue was announced and teared into ESL over it.

I'm here to read about the games, which have been great to watch. Someone is going to win $1,000,000 this weekend and I'd REALLY prefer this thread be a discussion on that instead of rehashing something that we dedicated 100's of pages to months ago.

So can this thread please change back to "HWC 2017 Teams Seeds and Discussion" instead of "HWC 2017 Finals Venue Discussion"? Please?

Thanks You.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Agree his comment was a bit over the top. Sadly the meme frenzy is in full force.

I'm free after this event if you ever need some balloons.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm here to read about the games, which have been great to watch. Someone is going to win $1,000,000 this weekend and I'd REALLY prefer this thread be a discussion on that instead of rehashing something that we dedicated 100's of pages do months ago.

So can this thread please change back to "HWC 2017 Teams Seeds and Discussion" instead of "HWC 2017 Finals Venue Discussion"? Please?

Thanks You.

why should the forum gravitate around what you want?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Let's be honest here, even if we had LAN we wouldn't see some huge grassroots movement keeping the scene alive. That isn't what the Halo fanbase does. If it did we would have been running tournaments for past Halo games when we were handed shit like Halo 4. It doesn't matter than Halo doesn't have LAN because Halo fans aren't SSBM fans.

did u just compare h4 to ssbm?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm here to read about the games, which have been great to watch. Someone is going to win $1,000,000 this weekend and I'd REALLY prefer this thread be a discussion on that instead of rehashing something that we dedicated 100's of pages do months ago.

Thanks You.

500k*

why should the forum gravitate around what you want?

because reasons

Thanks You.

Its a mil dollar prize pool, noone is going home with 1mil

• Upvote (+1) 2