CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

not in 5 minutes he didn't hahah. I've played thousands of league games and only had a handful end in less than 20

I wasn't being literal with the time. My match took well over 20 mins
  • Upvote (+1) 2

So when's the next Halo LAN?

End of January. OpTic is going to take the gold and become the god squad again.

I HATE this argument.  "A game's gotta evolve".  A game only has to improve which does NOT equal fundamental change.  Sprint has done nothing to actually improve the game. Nor has spartan charge, ground pound or clamber.  I think thrust is OK and would like it more if the guns were a little less "sticky" (ie, you can thrust, not move the thumbstick at all, then immediately fire again and get a headshot unless the other player also thrusted at the same time in the opposite direction).  Other than some weapon rebalancing, Thrust is the only addition to the game that i am OK with since CE. So that's 6 halo games with really one new thing.

Look at CoD as the example.  The franchise started really losing players exactly when they started to "evolve" too much. Black Ops 2 was a great game.  Ghosts would have been good too if they had just waited another year to release the game and used that time to polish it up (fatigue is starting to set in at this point too).

For Halo, If they had done something like add thrust, increase base speed, increase strafe acceleration, add variety to the weapon sandbox and create Warzone that would be way more than enough of an "Evolution".  Things like increasing base speed and strafe acceleration would keep up with the "Expectations" of modern FPS players without fundamentally changing what makes halo, halo.  We don't need all the extra nonsense, and never will.

Evolve, improve whatever you wanna call it. It's been 15 years since the original Halo. 

To specifically address sprint (I really don't care about the other abilities, I'm neutral) I feel it's done a lot for the game, it creates a much faster pace. Increasing base speed could've been a decent addition, but then again this is where things get too pedantic and a 'rip and replace' mentality sets in, which does no good for the game, the community or the developers.

Ultimately, the game needs to move forward and it has, it's still one of the best pure FPS' out there.

343 announced they're addressing the radar issue, let's just wait and see what they come up with... I'm just hoping they've taken on board all of the feedback from the pros and the community. 

Why is Halo 6 being mentioned right now? It won't be out for another two years? maybe longer? Nevertheless, to say Halo 6 basically needs to become a Halo 2 or 3 with added thrust ability is very unlikely and I think if people begin to 'wait' until Halo 6 comes out, a vast majority of people will be sorely disappointed.

On a side note;  are the servers fucked today or what?!

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I'm with you on that the only MOBA I could even slightly enjoy playing was Smite and that's because it's a MOBA played similarly to a 3rd person shooter. Still didn't like it much and never even got to the point of being able to play ranked matches.

The only MOBA i can even come close to enjoying is Warzone  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Come in here to see stuff on Halo, and instead see people compare Halo to LoL.

fDx8ZEo.gif

Personally don't see the fun in MOBA's, but to each his own.

• Upvote (+1) 2

On a side note;  are the servers fucked today or what?!

For me almost every day lately... Especial shot registration. Dozens on unregistered head shots lately.

Except when I play SWAT then magically the head shot registration is a 3 foot radius around the players neck.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just realized I really only play Halo :/

Same, really depressing. I really need to get into Mass Effect: Andromeda, RDR2 and some H3A/Destiny 2 this year.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Stats are different than mine. What way did they handle players playing on different gamertags?

we manually input the stats from each game into a form so the different GTs shouldnt have mattered

i think we had some issues pertaining to rounding but overall i feel pretty good about the accuracy of the stats 

• Upvote (+1) 1

For me almost every day lately... Especial shot registration. Dozens on unregistered head shots lately.

Except when I play SWAT then magically the head shot registration is a 3 foot radius around the players neck.

My servers have been REALLY good, out side of a little lag  and the emblems not loading. The shot reg seems really good though.

I just realized I really only play Halo :/

I just realized I only play League of Legends  :kappa:

My servers have been REALLY good, out side of a little lag  and the emblems not loading. The shot reg seems really good though.

I'm in Ohio, but have pretty good internet for most games. Please don't use this information for evil.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Snakebite is streaming: https://www.twitch.tv/snakebite

He's very interactive with the viewers.

I think I have never watch anyone on Twitch who is more interactive than Snakebite. Always so cool, answering questions, getting multikills and just being such a class act.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think individual mechanics take a tremendous amount of skill, but its much larger than that. 

Lets say you and I are in a 1v1 bot lane and we're both top tier players. I need to know your abilities, cool downs, where you're going to move, where your skill shots will be, where my skill shots should be, where are my minions, where are your minions, do I have help coming, do you have help coming, how much damage am I outputting, ect ect. Now factor all of that into a ten second window, while we're both focusing on our movement and positioning in order to outplay one another. Again, keep in mind: I factor preparation and strategy into skill. 

If you can genuinely watch this clip and have your jaw on the floor by his individual mechanics, and awareness I'll see myself out. 

https://clips.twitch.tv/doublelift/BrainyLionArgieB8

https://clips.twitch.tv/doublelift/BrainyLionArgieB8

I see a lot of "knowing of esoteric details" in that description. It's not even creative insight from first principles, it's just facts about the programming of the game. It's not "knowing a nerdy spot to throw a nade that will blow sniper to you", it's "knowing that grenades take 3 seconds to blow up". I'm not arguing that there's no way to have a spectrum of expertise built on game knowledge, meta, and strategic thought. Obviously if you offer somebody a million dollars to be the best at this game, you're going to have people who know these game traits like the back of their hand, and understand how to sequence their abilities to counter their opponents on the fly, in a wildly complex game of multidimensional chess. I totally grant that this space admits mastery at a very high level. But the whole point is that the game is first and foremost about deciding _what_ to do. The actual doing of it isn't really the focus. 

Plenty of people know what they wish they could do when they're playing Halo. "Headshot that guy with the sniper." What makes the game awesome is how difficult it can be to translate those desires into actual plays. You have to decide what to do, and then you have to actually execute. If you fail to execute, you have to improvise, fast.

You also mentioned awareness. In Halo, the awareness that you have to have isn't just about "what is the current state of the game as seen from overhead". In Halo you are always lacking direct information about what is happening behind you. You have to understand how your current position interacts with the 3D environment, what the likely position of enemy players is, and how their open sightlines can or cannot see your own. Further, you have to "feel" where your teammates are without actually always seeing them. Worse, every so often the opponent dies and quickly teleports to a new position (a process which you have to be able to predict and control), meaning there's little spatial permanence you can rely on. This alone is a huge difference between Halo and Counterstrike. Even with a Quake duel you only have one player to keep track of, rather than 7. 

As far as the play you posted, if that's jaw dropping mechanical goodness, I just don't get it. I think I've seen more impressive Barb v. Barb Diablo 2 duels. By my lights, you see something twice as impressive in virtually every pro-league match in Halo 5. Watch the 4 horsemen playing 2v2 on Prisoner and it would be even more stark.

Honestly, I'm just surprised how much resistance the competitive Halo forum has to thinking that Halo is the beautiful game. Are we really this self-loathing?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I get that you guys want certain things for Halo... but why can't everyone just accept this is Halo fucking 5. Not Halo 2, Not Halo 3, It's Halo 5. 

Yes, radar in my opinion is a problem, it provides way too much free information - Ok. But when people complain about clamber, sprint, thrust, spartan abilities it baffles me. A game's gotta evolve. It's been, what, 15 years since Halo CE.

I agree with someone earlier who said the population won't ever reach Halo 2 / Halo 3 heights; there are far too many factors. New games like BF1, CoD (what a piece of shit), LoL, Overwatch... etc players moving on, people getting older... the interest just isn't what it was because it hasn't been as groundbreaking as it first was when it came out... like Apple and their stupid products over the past 2 years.

On the other hand it's taken far, far, far too long for 343 to react to what the community has been saying for months, which is disappointing but at least now they're realizing they fucked up and are slightly more quicker expedite changes. Halo is still one of the cleanest and purest shooters but you gotta let the game give a little.

#NoRadar

Oh, the "evolve" argument. I thought I stopped going to Waypoint. 

A series evolves if the series is getting stale. Why change the formula when the series is doing it's best? If adding more mechanics, more flair, more of whatever is the answer, why is COD not on top this year, and why is BF1 the top shooter on xbox? Why is Overwatch, a game with only one character with sprint (probably in order to appeal to those players) doing great? Why is CSGO not dead? 

Look, wanting to evolve is fine. Thrust, slide, and stabilizer would be perfectly fine IMO. But adding things that change how movement works and how maps are designed is an issue, as it changes how the game is played. There's a reason people want a BoTG COD. There's a reason people want a sprint-less Halo. If you want different gameplay, maybe try a different franchise, but wanting Halo to conform to a trend that has practically died out at this point is going to end this franchise. 

So basically Halo 2...

So is H5 basically COD at this point? If removing sprint and clamber makes it H2, then does adding them make it COD? 

• Upvote (+1) 9

Also, one of the reasons Halo 5 is doing better than Halo 4 is because of 343i added some of the original gameplay back (descoping, equal starts). So if evolving is the answer, why did we scrap loadouts and ordanince? 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't think, (with the exception of H3A), there will ever be a "classic Halo" experience and that all these posts are good for is discussing the somewhat objective merits of a competitive game; not the future of the series. That said, having to sift through a whole bunch of TL;DR posts about a topic that has been done to death is absurdly annoying.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/12700-halo-5-guardians-arena-gameplay-settings-thread/

Can we get back to rostermania etc now?

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

CS is older than Halo and has had stayed successful all this time with very similar gameplay between titles. Halo started to die off once the devs started making major changes to core gameplay. There is no reason that Halo needs to evolve when trying to evolve the game is what killed the game.

Edit: Another example from what I know is Starcraft. I don't follow the game but from what I understand Brood War is almost universally accepted as the better game and people don't like the changes made for SCII. If a game has a formula that works, then why change it?

• Upvote (+1) 1