CyReN

Halo World Championship 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Man, I have such a hard time grinding the game that I haven't even been able to play ranked yet. It's really difficult going from fps to moba after only playing games in first person your whole life. Doesn't stop me from watching the game though. Worlds was amazing.

I reluctantly started playing after two years of my friends trying to get me into it. Once I actually knew what I was doing, I was HOOKED. Now none of them play, but I still do. If you want to play some time, I'm always up for a game or two! FlizzyFletch is my IGN. This is the first and only MOBA I've ever played, let alone first non console shooter I've really sunk time into. 

I went to Worlds semis in Chicago this year and saw SKT vs RNG and oh my god. It. Was. INCREDIBLE. 

Been playing since h2 and finally played alot of no radar last night; so here's my 2 cents.

It's complicated. On a game like Truth Slayer it was great. Our communication won us the game which I felt hasn't been as big of a factor in H5. Then you play Empire Strongholds. Holy cow it was hot garbage. So many assassinations, my average life was like 12 seconds and I felt like there was so little strategy.

"You just need to get use to it." I don't think so. Even on CTF certain maps it was so chaotic. With all these Spartan abilities, you can get around the map in 5 seconds. You're not just checking corners like in H3. You're constantly looking in every direction to check that random ledge, pyramid, blue sneaky, etc.

Just 2 examples. But point is some maps/ gametypes it felt great, others it was a complete mess. Practice would make it feel more comfortable, but I don't see how (especially) Strongholds would be magically better No Radar. But you can't have radar for only some gametypes. Idk... I think the most practical way to improve the competitive scene is nerfing AR's. You absolutely cannot have radar and powerful autos together.

Do you think the problem on empire was the map or the gametype? Id love to see that combo of map/type go for some koth or oddball. Do you think that might play better?

I can respect that, but just curious as to what you think takes much technical skill in league? 

I think individual mechanics take a tremendous amount of skill, but its much larger than that. 

Lets say you and I are in a 1v1 bot lane and we're both top tier players. I need to know your abilities, cool downs, where you're going to move, where your skill shots will be, where my skill shots should be, where are my minions, where are your minions, do I have help coming, do you have help coming, how much damage am I outputting, ect ect. Now factor all of that into a ten second window, while we're both focusing on our movement and positioning in order to outplay one another. Again, keep in mind: I factor preparation and strategy into skill. 

If you can genuinely watch this clip and have your jaw on the floor by his individual mechanics, and awareness I'll see myself out. 

https://clips.twitch.tv/doublelift/BrainyLionArgieB8

In regards to the movement mechanics, we can talk about how autostabilize and GP helped improve movement but they were never designed for that. And GP has made Truth CTF such a bore to watch. It should be disabled for the flag runner tbh.

I don't think it matters whether they were designed for movement or not, I don't think either has harmed the sandbox in anyway, and their are numerous ways it's helped.

I also don't think GP has made Truth CTF a bore to watch. Wouldn't Sneaky still be the ideal route? Without GP, you'd probably see the cap being replaced by a flag toss, followed by a quick pickup to score. You'd also have the usual desperation nades to stop the cap.

I reluctantly started playing after two years of my friends trying to get me into it. Once I actually knew what I was doing, I was HOOKED. Now none of them play, but I still do. If you want to play some time, I'm always up for a game or two! FlizzyFletch is my IGN. This is the first and only MOBA I've ever played, let alone first non console shooter I've really sunk time into.

I went to Worlds semis in Chicago this year and saw SKT vs RNG and oh my god. It. Was. INCREDIBLE.

I can't wait til I have the kind of money to go to a worlds event. I'm stugging to even make it to a Halo event though. Rip the dream lol

Yeah, I'll add you and we can play Normal Queue or something. I'll go mid Aurelius and act like I'm good! IGN should be ShadyCrady like on here. Haven't been on since before the new patch though. Hope shit hasnt changed too much.

In response to Mjhunter, there's way more counterparts to a flag toss than a gp and that's the problem. Right now there's no way to stop the cap unless you stop it before they get to their sneaky or you manage to pull the flag. You could bait a flag that got tossed onto the flag stand though. Right now the solution is run in and try to pull the flag bottom mid because you know there's no way to get a return.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't wait til I have the kind of money to go to a worlds event. I'm stugging to even make it to a Halo event though. Rip the dream lol

Yeah, I'll add you and we can play Normal Queue or something. I'll go mid Aurelius and act like I'm good! IGN should be ShadyCrady like on here. Haven't been on since before the new patch though. Hope shit hasnt changed too much.

It was in Chicago which is where I live so :)

I'll look for your fr later tonight after work. Look forward to playing sometime my dude. 

@@TheFloyd if you want to continue this, lets take it to DM's. Probably enough League talk for one day in this thread. 

What do you guys think of the new arena settings? I had a 50-49 game with Tashi last night that was quite satisfying :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think individual mechanics take a tremendous amount of skill, but its much larger than that. 

Lets say you and I are in a 1v1 bot lane and we're both top tier players. I need to know your abilities, cool downs, where you're going to move, where your skill shots will be, where my skill shots should be, where are my minions, where are your minions, do I have help coming, do you have help coming, how much damage am I outputting, ect ect. Now factor all of that into a ten second window, while we're both focusing on our movement and positioning in order to outplay one another. Again, keep in mind: I factor preparation and strategy into skill. 

If you can genuinely watch this clip and have your jaw on the floor by his individual mechanics, and awareness I'll see myself out. 

Ya I watched the clip and I didnt see anything too mechanically difficult in my opinion, I know the game so it's not like I hate the game or anything(well in comparison to Dota I do), but we're just on very different pages when it comes to mechanical skill. Time to respect the differences and move on I guess, refreshing to have a disagreement not turn into a rage fit on a forum though.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Ya I watched the clip and I didnt see anything too mechanically difficult in my opinion, I know the game so it's not like I hate the game or anything(well in comparison to Dota I do), but we're just on very different pages when it comes to mechanical skill. Time to respect the differences and move on I guess, refreshing to have a disagreement not turn into a rage fit on a forum though.

But low key me during this whole discussion  :simms:

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 6

Does anyone's aim feel kind of heavy/sluggish again? Maybe I'm just imagining things, but H5 aiming is still so clunky for me compared to other games (including MCC).

I am so excited for the first Open LAN.

SO EXCITED 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Playing a little Devil's Advocate here, please don't hate me.

We(myself included) argue that H5 has less skill gap than previous Halos while simultaneously one specific team won the vast majority of tournaments very convincingly.

Isn't that a bit contradictory? Doesn't skill gap lend it self to more predicable results i.e. more skilled teams/players win more often due to their "skill advantage".

Halo 5 has seen very little parody. Numbing the game down to COD level would mean that any team could win due to randomness. 

Finally why might this be, that our lowest skill gap game has had the most predictable results?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like the Halo community needs to pull together as one and refuse to call Randa "Daddy."  Seriously the stupidest shit I've ever seen

I don't think anyone will seriously call him that. 

H1, H2, and H3 were all vastly different from each other but also stuck to the fundamentals. They didn't need dumb gimmicks to artificially change the gameplay like sprint or clamber.

Halo was at its peak during this time and as soon as the game tried to be more like other games it started to die off. CoD was popular because of how fast paced and easy to pick up it was. Halo was popular because of the mix of slow and fast gameplay with slow kill times that made teamwork more important than anything else.

Adding spartan abilities just cheapens the gameplay and removes what made the game so popular in the first place. Sprint didn't bring in new players or improve the game in any way. It just made the game play worse and drove away a lot of Halo players. Clamber also has no place in Halo imo. Just another way to artificially speed up gameplay with dumb movement mechanics. Thrust adds an interesting dynamic to gunfights and I won't shoot it down right away but I would still prefer it being removed. 343 is trying to rebuild the franchise their way instead of expanding on Bungie's success. We went from the biggest console shooter to like the 5th most popular shooter on the xbox alone. It's sad.

• Upvote (+1) 2

But low key me during this whole discussion  :simms:

media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.

A bit off topic but I must fix that gif once and for all.

QZCmtYZ.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7

Hey all, 

Just wondered what you guys would like to see from the Gfinity UK Open event. Want to try and get as much feedback to see if we can implement any ideas you guys may have to make the event as good as it can be. 

Emma Watson isnt responding about being the host btw. Sorry. 

Red and Blue streams like the last UGC event would be LIT  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:  :fire:

• Upvote (+1) 5

Playing a little Devil's Advocate here, please don't hate me.

We(myself included) argue that H5 has less skill gap than previous Halos while simultaneously one specific team won the vast majority of tournaments very convincingly.

Isn't that a bit contradictory? Doesn't skill gap lend it self to more predicable results i.e. more skilled teams/players win more often due to their "skill advantage".

Halo 5 has seen very little parody. Numbing the game down to COD level would mean that any team could win due to randomness. 

Finally why might this be, that our lowest skill gap game has had the most predictable results?

CS has had 10 different teams win Premier ($250k+ prize pool tournaments) this year alone with only two teams being able to win more than one. I'd attribute the dominance of one team to lack of player pool and changing meta. CLG/OG were so far ahead of everyone for almost a year because it took everyone that long to catch up to them. Give Halo the same amount of players and competition as CS or LoL and they don't last a month at the top because so many people would be trying to push the meta and finding a way to beat them. Look at Halo 3. The most popular Halo and the biggest competitive scene. How many teams won a Halo 3 LAN compared to just about every other Halo. Halo 2 had 3 different teams win events in its lifetime. Halo 3 had 3 different teams win its first 6 tournaments.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hey all,

Just wondered what you guys would like to see from the Gfinity UK Open event. Want to try and get as much feedback to see if we can implement any ideas you guys may have to make the event as good as it can be.

Emma Watson isnt responding about being the host btw. Sorry.

Could you get some content about the teams preparing for the event? The only reason I usually tune in is because I love the casters you guys have. I really know next to nothing about the players/scene in EU. Would really like to get some more hype outside of NA leading into worlds.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Somehow you and @NavG123 went from two of my least favorite shitposters to two of my favorite posters in nearly record time

It's been quite the journey. But I cannot he mentioned in the same sentence as the GOAT. Nav is next level.
  • Upvote (+1) 1